Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:07 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times

Advertisements

I keep thinking that one of these days I'll come accross an SUV with someone's entire resume emblazoned upon it. Wondering if some radio station/blogger hasn't already come up with a contest for the "braggiest van/suv" (eg., one with the most braggy magnets). Now, that would be funny!

I must say the braggy magnet-emblazoned SUV/mini-van is a NoVa phenomenon. I previously lived in a rural area and the only magnets/stickers you would see on a car were the yellow ribbons w/ the USA flag that said "God Bless Our Troops" and/or the white stickers that said "In Loving Memory of John Doe -- RIP -- 1972 to 1999"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I don't really wear sweats every day, but I do wear sweats, jeans or comfortable clothing. I spent enough time in the working world wearing dresses, suits, and high heels, and frankly, I hated it. I like to be comfortable! I will probably be back in the working world soon enough so I am enjoying dressing down while I can. It really helps when you play in the sandbox with your kids or pick up a toddler whose diaper has soaked through his clothes. I don't like to ruin my good clothes. That's my 2 cents.

Gottasay, that's funny about the resume on the cars! I hadn't thought of that. People put their whole family on there along with the names of their schools, activities they do, etc. I guess it is another "bragging" venue. Personally, I don't like putting the name of my child's preschool or elementary school on my car. I don't need any crazies knowing where my kids go to school.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I agree about the "bragging" with the "My kid is better than yours" SUVs and mini-vans. The Langley and South Reston folks are especially notorious for this (or I'm just seeing the same vehicles in Reston over and over).

Old 10-22-2009, 08:31 PM

428 posts, read 1,114,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I must say the braggy magnet-emblazoned SUV/mini-van is a NoVa phenomenon. I previously lived in a rural area and the only magnets/stickers you would see on a car were the yellow ribbons w/ the USA flag that said "God Bless Our Troops" and/or the white stickers that said "In Loving Memory of John Doe -- RIP -- 1972 to 1999"
Nope, NoVa doesn't have the lock on that one. There were braggy SUVs all over Austin when we lived there. In fact, I saw them there way before I ever saw them here (grew up here, moved to Austin for college, got back home as quickly as I could).

Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 PM

28 posts, read 85,029 times
I'm curious as to why people think car stickers/magnets are braggy? I've never thought of them that way at all. Is one braggy b/c they have 10 stickers on their car vs. just one or two? I think parents can be proud w/o being braggy.

Personally, I find the multiple "I love Jesus" type stickers way more annoying (and no, I'm not a Jesus hater)!

Last edited by vjel; 10-22-2009 at 09:16 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I always thought the point of the magnets was to show your kids you know what's important to them. And in my family, to give a little incentive to keep up the good work. My kid jokes that he keeps the grades up because he doesn't want to see the sticker come off the car. There may be some truth to that joke.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
The sweat pants subject might make a good thread. Are the soccer mom's wearing them because they are working out? Or is it because they have such a difficult time fitting into jeans? As far as Manassas goes; it is certainly the former.
LOL, we have a bunch of young men from Manassas at the house this week because we're getting new windows and siding. Let me tell you, these men have no difficulty fitting into their jeans! As Scranbarre would say, Bow-chick-a-wow-wow! If everyone there looks as buff as this I can see how the town got the name of Man-asses.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I don't really wear sweats every day, but I do wear sweats, jeans or comfortable clothing. I spent enough time in the working world wearing dresses, suits, and high heels, and frankly, I hated it. I like to be comfortable! I will probably be back in the working world soon enough so I am enjoying dressing down while I can. It really helps when you play in the sandbox with your kids or pick up a toddler whose diaper has soaked through his clothes. I don't like to ruin my good clothes. That's my 2 cents.
I agree 100%. I have 14-month-old twins. You'd better believe that unless we're going to church or a party or something, I'm wearing jeans or yoga pants and a t-shirt. I stopped caring what other people think of me a long time ago.

We recently have been attending a baby play class at the library, and at the first session there were a couple of moms that were wearing ripped jeans, dressy flats, etc. I think they quickly realized their clothes were not practical for getting down on the floor, and they were more appropriately dressed at the next class. I don't know who they were trying to impress - unless they wanted the other moms to envy them. Again, I try not to get involved in NoVA competition - be it cars, houses, stuff, clothing - and it seems to get worse once you enter the realm of parenthood.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
You'd better believe that unless we're going to church or a party or something, I'm wearing jeans or yoga pants and a t-shirt. I stopped caring what other people think of me a long time ago.
Me too. I agree with this 100%. I think that's one of the best things about living in a place with such diversity. I have neighbors who wear saris, neighbors who wear muslim clothing, neighbors who wear hawaiian shorts in december (brrrr!!!!). I have more than enough things to do, so like you I also stopped caring what other people think of me. It's a very liberating way to feel.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:39 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I have rarely ever gone out of the house in "athletic" clothing! I am not a soccer mom though (full-time working mom with non-soccer playing kids). In the past year or so, I have run out of the house once or twice in those yoga-style pants. You know the ones that are made of lycra/sweatpants material but are trim cut with a flared leg? ....
Actually, those yoga pants are now part of Fall 2009 fashion. The 1980s are back (okay, love'em or hate'em or maybe they really never left at all) and black yoga pants (ankle-length and capri) are everywhere--paired with tunics, long sweaters, long cardigans, layered with jewelry, etc.

I just came back from a weekend in New York City and *everyone* is wearing them, especially with boots and plaid shirts. The plaid shirts, however, are another topic: I love plaid, especially madras and gingham in various colors and weaves, but the black-and-red plaid is really overdone, and frankly, makes a lot of people look like wannabe lumberjacks (okay, this is just my opinion again...I am simply observing my surroundings).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia