Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 10:08 AM

18 posts, read 82,529 times

Advertisements

Hi all...my company is transferring me to the Northern VA area...now my spouse very much needs employment leads. Do any of you know of any good headhunters/executive recruiters in the area?

Also...Is it possible to commute from Stafford (Aquia Harbor) up to Fairfax within an hour?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 05:48 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
I can only answer the second question, which is that I'm sorry to say that a commute from Stafford to Fairfax will take well over an hour on your average workday. I think driving during off-peak hours even, it would take probably just under an hour or so Well, this is assuming by "Fairfax" you mean the city of Fairfax. I would say that a commute would run around an hour and a half each way to the city of Fairfax. Now if the commute was to a different part of Fairfax County like the southeastern edge around Lorton, the commute would be less and doable in an hour.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 AM

69 posts, read 273,818 times
yeah it all depends where you would be commuting from. I used to have a coworker that commuted from Stafford to Annandale/Springfield area, and it could take her on a good day 45 minutes and on a bad day 3 hours!!!!!! One way!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of job would your spouse be looking for? I wouldnt' think it'd be hard to find a job in nova.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:01 PM

94 posts, read 176,927 times
^^ Not true, my wife has been underemployed in Nova for 5 years. Only can get part time contracting work. We really struggle to get by, and she has an advanced degree. It all depends on what field your spouse is in. At least half of our friends are in similar positions.

Local govt, hospitality, healthcare, retail, and tourism are on the rise. Low wage work is likely plentiful, best of luck making it on that.

Business services is poor, as is defense contracting, because of the recent cuts to the DoD by Congress (contracting is heavily represented in Nova). Law jobs are down, probably true everywhere. Fed govt is bleeding jobs, many people retiring and no money, again due to Congress, to replace them. Obama also has been cutting Fed pay for 4 years straight, which makes younger workers look for better prospects. The Dept of Justice is supposedly using unpaid intern lawyers to prosecute criminals now, which may very well be against the law in its own right.

The DC area has had terrible job growth in 2014, some economists are predicting local resession. Nova has done a bit better in the last 2 months, we'll see if it holds. Home sales (and values) are plateuaing because of poor job growth, maybe local peak and decline to come.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:58 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil27 View Post
Obama also has been cutting Fed pay for 4 years straight, which makes younger workers look for better prospects. The Dept of Justice is supposedly using unpaid intern lawyers to prosecute criminals now, which may very well be against the law in its own right.
Wrong on both counts.

Pay rates for civilian non-SES under the General Schedule stayed flat under Obama from 2011 through 2013, with exceptions. For 2010, there was a 1.5% COL raise over 2009. Previously, such raises were on the order of 2%-3%. For 2011-2013, base pay was flat but not cut. (Note that people still got scheduled step increases, as well as performance bonuses.) In 2014--because Obama proposed it and Congress passed it--we got a 1% COL raise. (Is Obama to blame for those 3 years we had no COL raise? Not really. Congress would not have gone along with it; remember, in 2012 there was a near-Government shutdown, and in 2013, there was an actual shutdown. If Congress won't bass basic legislation, it's certainly not going to approve a raise for Federal employees.)

I can guarantee you DOJ is not using interns to prosecute criminals. Interns may be doing routine paperwork, but only lawyers prosecute.

Where are you getting your information? Whoever it is, I would stop listening to them if I were you.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 09-07-2014 at 05:06 AM..

Old 09-07-2014, 05:06 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
OP, what type of industry does your husband work in. That might give us a better idea of his prospects and where to begin his search.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:34 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
OP, what type of industry does your husband work in. That might give us a better idea of his prospects and where to begin his search.
The OP started the thread 8 years ago....While no guarantee, I certainly hope their spouse is employed now.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:44 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Oh man. I hate when that happens. I guess we have mormegil27 to blame for this zombie thread arising.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:37 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
On the topic of using headhunters (is this still a PC term in today's environment? Considering some object the team name "red skins" ) when job searching?

I don't think most companies pay for headhunters anymore short of executive search given today's online presence. It would be foolish for a job seeker pay money to headhunters these days. Most of the time one can go to company's website and submit application directly.

But it is still a "not what you know but who you know" when it comes to job hunting. It gives you a tremendous advantage over the next person. So develop a personal network is always best.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 PM

94 posts, read 176,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Wrong on both counts.

Pay rates for civilian non-SES under the General Schedule stayed flat under Obama from 2011 through 2013, with exceptions. For 2010, there was a 1.5% COL raise over 2009. Previously, such raises were on the order of 2%-3%. For 2011-2013, base pay was flat but not cut. (Note that people still got scheduled step increases, as well as performance bonuses.) In 2014--because Obama proposed it and Congress passed it--we got a 1% COL raise. (Is Obama to blame for those 3 years we had no COL raise? Not really. Congress would not have gone along with it; remember, in 2012 there was a near-Government shutdown, and in 2013, there was an actual shutdown. If Congress won't bass basic legislation, it's certainly not going to approve a raise for Federal employees.)

I can guarantee you DOJ is not using interns to prosecute criminals. Interns may be doing routine paperwork, but only lawyers prosecute.

Where are you getting your information? Whoever it is, I would stop listening to them if I were you.
No, actually I am not, in fact, wrong. I don't give a **** whether he would not have gotten a raise through Congress, it is the right thing to do and he should have fought for it. Inflation is 2%. Let me say that again so no one misses it: inflation is 2%. Any wage "increase" below 2% is a pay cut. I don't care about nominal values, I care about what my money can actually buy.

I read about the unpaid interns in an article, probably in the Washington Post. I will look for it and post it. The WaPo is, of course, often full of BS, so I might be wrong there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia