U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,157,864 times

Advertisements

Will Fairfax and PWC schools be offering the H1N1 vaccine in the schools? I was just curious since here in Arlington Co, it is being offered beginning next week.

I was also curious if there would be any liability for the schools? We have nurses that can only offer ice packs or the ability to lay down in their office until the parents can get there in relation to a child getting sick at school. They cannot give any med that is not authorized by a doctor. So would it not be a liablity to allow the school nurses to give the shots, especially seeing as some do have side effects from the flu vaccines?

I understand the schools and state are looking at it as a way to mass innoculate, to try and prevent the flu spreading any further. If it is being offered what percentage of parents would allow their kids to be given the shots at school? My 6th grader said out of his class of 24 only 2 kids had returned the permission forms.

I am hoping this is the appropriate forum to put it on, I know it has to do with health but in particular the health issue in NOVa, so hoping the mods allow it to stay here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 PM

77 posts, read 255,972 times
washingtonpost.com

just found this link.. hope it has some information you are looking for.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:36 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,157,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNY View Post
washingtonpost.com

just found this link.. hope it has some information you are looking for.

Thanks for the link, as far as I know Arlington schools are still going ahead with it, although I would think if Fairfax is not receiving as many vaccines as they thought then neither would Arlington. I hadn't planned on getting my kids vaccinated at school anyway but was curious if all the other districts had been planning for mass innoculation.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 PM

28 posts, read 75,560 times
I am in Loudoun County and they did the H1N1 flu vac at our elementary school today. I don't generally do the flu shot for my kids but thought the H1N1 would be a good idea this year. I imagine liability is limited since the parents HAVE TO sign and return the permission slip in order for the kids to get the flu vaccination. If the slips were not in by the deadline (I'm sure to ensure the school received an adequate amount of vaccines), you aren't allowed to get the shot. Also, arrangements could be made so that parents could be present during the vaccination process.

For what it's worth, our school was provided with the flu mist, not the shot. And nurses from the Health Dept were giving them out, not our lone school nurse. As it turns out my kindergartner was not allowed to get the flu mist since she was running a fever today.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 PM

207 posts, read 661,458 times
No mention of this in either of the 2 Fairfax county schools we attend.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:33 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,677,294 times
Here is the latest for the swine flu vaccine in Fairfax County. Only this Saturday for ages 6 months to 36 months and pregnant women. I might try to take my 2-year old.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/flu/h1n1-vaccine-distribution.htm (broken link)

Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,142,848 times
As for PWC, the schools are not doing it. It will be given (at this point) by the Health Department at two locations (Manassas and Dale City). My husband will be taking my son tomorrow. I can't wait to hear if there are big lines.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
As for PWC, the schools are not doing it. It will be given (at this point) by the Health Department at two locations (Manassas and Dale City). My husband will be taking my son tomorrow. I can't wait to hear if there are big lines.
Check again to see if they will be open. It looks like the Manassas Mall location is closed tomorrow.

Prince William County Public Schools

Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 PM

8,119 posts, read 12,689,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Here is the latest for the swine flu vaccine in Fairfax County. Only this Saturday for ages 6 months to 36 months and pregnant women. I might try to take my 2-year old.

H1N1 Vaccine Availability & Distribution*- Fairfax County, Virginia (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/flu/h1n1-vaccine-distribution.htm - broken link)
That's correct. Here are details from an email I received:

Due to delays in the production of 2009 H1N1 vaccine, the Fairfax County Health Department (FCHD) has developed a mass vaccination plan that matches the limited supply of vaccine currently available, which is significantly less than anticipated. The Health Department currently does not have enough vaccine available to hold the vaccination clinics that were scheduled to be held in ten Fairfax County schools on October 24 and 25.

The Fairfax County Health Department will hold a mass vaccination clinic on Saturday, October 24 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Fairfax County Government Center (12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035). Approximately 10,000 doses of 2009 H1N1 vaccine will be available on October 24. Based on the quantity of vaccine available, and in an effort to vaccinate those at high risk of influenza-related complications, the October 24 clinic will be open to all children 6 months to 36 months of age and pregnant women. Children in this age range and pregnant women are among the target groups identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to receive the 2009 H1N1 vaccine when it first becomes available. The vaccine is voluntary and will be offered on a walk-in basis, free of charge. Seasonal flu vaccine will not be available at this clinic.

The October 24 clinic will not be the only opportunity to receive 2009 H1N1 vaccine. The FCHD is committed to vaccinating target populations, including school-aged children, as quickly as vaccine becomes available. Depending on the quantities of vaccine available each week, vaccine will be distributed through the Health Departmentís district offices or mass vaccination clinics.

Updated information, about the availability and distribution of 2009 H1N1 vaccine, including consent form and vaccination information statements, is on the countyís web site at:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/flu/h1n1-vaccine-distribution.htm

Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 PM

If they actually districted kids to their nearest school, they'd save a lot of money on transportation. I like the school my daughter goes to, but there are TWO schools that are closer to us. Instead they bus her to a school farther away. I am 1/2 mile from one school that we don't go to. My friend who is two miles away from that school goes there even though there is a school closer to her. I know they try to "even out" the schools a bit so there's not so many low scoring schools and high scoring schools, but I bet it costs a lot of money to bus these kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia