U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 AM

2,282 posts, read 5,571,446 times

Advertisements

what would be the downtown/Capitol City and why?

It can be an intersection (example Lee Hwy/Gallows Rd) or a neighborhood (ex: Pimmit Hills), not just a currently incorporated city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 AM

660 posts, read 1,499,165 times
I would say that Tysons would be the downtown. It's got all the office buildings, a fair number of expense account restaurants, and in a few years it will have the Metro.

As all the administrative buildings are in the City of Fairfax, though, that's where the capital would remain. I think the State of Fairfax would be like Maryland, where the capital (Annapolis/Fairfax) is really cute but has nothing there aside from the state government. Obviously Fairfax City has a lot of work to do if it is going to look like Annapolis, but it's doable.

Man I wish Northern Virginia could secede. It will never happen, but it seems like it would really help the area deal with its own problems, rather than sending a lot of money to Richmond and getting nothing in return. I might even be willing to tack DC onto Northern Virginia to get more Democratic support.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM

2,679 posts, read 6,239,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Man I wish Northern Virginia could secede. It will never happen, but it seems like it would really help the area deal with its own problems, rather than sending a lot of money to Richmond and getting nothing in return. I might even be willing to tack DC onto Northern Virginia to get more Democratic support.
Yikes, the last thing NOVA needs is to be more like DC!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
LOL, good one oneastrerisk!!

Interesting idea for a thread, Leighland. I guess I would go for Tysons or Alexandria. But maybe it would be wiser to make it near the Govt. Center. Or maybe some out of the way corner to send the state govt. traffic away from the already crowded areas.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:39 PM

660 posts, read 1,499,165 times
Quote:
Well it'd be pretty galling for NoVA to secede if DC still didn't have any representation in Congress. I'm not saying we should emulate DC, just that it might be the only way to make secession politically viable.

And, like it or not, we have more of a vested interest here in DC's problems and potential than Richmond's or Norfolk's. We're already sending our tax dollars to help out problem areas - this way, we'd be helping out areas that actually affect us.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:45 PM

2,679 posts, read 6,239,535 times
Oh please DC shouldn't have representation in Congress. Those crazies keep electing Marion Barry into public office for goodness sake!!!

DC is last in schools and first in HIV. Yuck!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 AM

125 posts, read 360,237 times
Wegmans...it seems to be where everyone congregates anyway

Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 AM

59 posts, read 144,244 times
Quote:
Oh please DC shouldn't have representation in Congress. Those crazies keep electing Marion Barry into public office for goodness sake!!!

DC is last in schools and first in HIV. Yuck!!!
Haha..so true. Even the Washington Post admits DC is bluer than a blueberry. As long as Marion Barry has a (D) listed after his name, they will keep electing him no matter what he does.

I personally don't mind NoVA's taxes supporting RoVA. If every metro area got the idea of seceding from the less developed areas to keep their taxes to themselves, our country as a whole would suffer. Having the number of state representatives/delegates based on population is probably the best solution. Is the House of Delegates really that weak compared to the Senate?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoboat View Post
Wegmans...it seems to be where everyone congregates anyway
Best answer yet!

Old 10-22-2009, 03:38 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,199,392 times
Quote:
Why? DC is a very walkable, historic, beautiful city. I can't say the same about Tyson's Corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or