U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 PM

239 posts, read 574,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Uhh I don't think I'll be getting the bacon fever vaccine:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/101709_Disabled_Woman_Completes_8K

I don't get the normal flu vaccine, so why risk getting the bacon fever one.

Maybe this is what happened to Cree Deeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM

2,664 posts, read 6,224,880 times
dang that's not right on so many levels... I wouldn't wish that on anyone

Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 PM

139 posts, read 257,024 times
Thanks a lot for the information. I also found this that shows it peaking but w/o any interpretation. CDC 2009 H1N1 Flu | 2009 H1N1 U.S. Situation Update

Agree about not getting the swine flu vaccination, but have ones in the risk age, so may just try to avoid certain places during the peak. Problem is that it looks like a big one. Seems so many people are getting it now.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 PM

10,587 posts, read 12,057,892 times
The H1N1 vaccine is not "experimental." It is made just like every other flu vaccine that has been manufactured over the last 20 years. It only differs in the strain that is in the vaccine. And that is different for EVERY flu shot manufactured. While I'm not necessarily a huge advocate of flu shots, I think it is important that the misinformation about the H1N1 vaccine is not continually spread. It has been tested just as much as every other flu vaccine manufactured.

I always get my son the flu shot because he has asthma. I would like to get him one this year, but cannot find one.

As for the flu, my son came down with a nasty illness right before Columbus Day weekend. Due to his asthma and lots of kids sick in his school, I had him to his doctor shortly after onset. He had a 103 fever, sore throat, terrible body aches, his skin hurt to the touch, chills, nasal congestion, bad cough, and some nausea. He was swabbed for strep (negative) and influenza (negative). He was still put on Tamilfu because the rate of false-negatives on the influenza swab is 50+%. Since he has asthma, they didn't want to risk it.

He really made no improvement on the Tamiflu (not like others I've heard of where it was the next day). He continued with a fever for 3 days and just felt awful. The fatigue and cough lasted 2 weeks.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:58 PM

139 posts, read 257,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The H1N1 vaccine is not "experimental." It is made just like every other flu vaccine that has been manufactured over the last 20 years. It only differs in the strain that is in the vaccine. And that is different for EVERY flu shot manufactured. While I'm not necessarily a huge advocate of flu shots, I think it is important that the misinformation about the H1N1 vaccine is not continually spread. It has been tested just as much as every other flu vaccine manufactured.

I always get my son the flu shot because he has asthma. I would like to get him one this year, but cannot find one.

As for the flu, my son came down with a nasty illness right before Columbus Day weekend. Due to his asthma and lots of kids sick in his school, I had him to his doctor shortly after onset. He had a 103 fever, sore throat, terrible body aches, his skin hurt to the touch, chills, nasal congestion, bad cough, and some nausea. He was swabbed for strep (negative) and influenza (negative). He was still put on Tamilfu because the rate of false-negatives on the influenza swab is 50+%. Since he has asthma, they didn't want to risk it.

He really made no improvement on the Tamiflu (not like others I've heard of where it was the next day). He continued with a fever for 3 days and just felt awful. The fatigue and cough lasted 2 weeks.
Glad he eventually got thrugh it all right. Today our littlest one was as crying and as fussy as I've seen since the early days. Had a runny nose (potential flu sign), cough (potential flu sign), but no fever. Allr right then? No! Now they say that 1/3 or so swine flu victims don't even have a fever. Anyhow, doing fine after a nap so probably just a cold. Point is, you can't tell.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:25 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,346,654 times
good post. i got my kids the swine flu shot today and I also got it myself. it IS made just like the others...and people think that is was a "hurry" to make it, but turns out it took like 4 months or so, the same amount of time it takes to make the regular flu shot. I don't want to take a chance...If something would happen to my kids b/c of swine flu and I did nothing to help prevent it, I just couldn't live with myself so that is how I came to my choice. Plus their ped is recommending it and my most of my family is in medicine and they said go for it as well.
FYI-I got our today in Loudoun at the Health Clinic in Leesburg. IF there is still some available they will be giving it tomorrow as well. If intersted you should call first thing in the morning to make sure they are handing it out and then go get in line. Today was from 9-11 and then 1-3. We got there at 12:20pm and we out of there at 2pm. Wasn't too bad. I just took a lot of toys and a port potty for the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Old 10-22-2009, 05:51 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,129,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlumpen View Post
Glad he eventually got thrugh it all right. Today our littlest one was as crying and as fussy as I've seen since the early days. Had a runny nose (potential flu sign), cough (potential flu sign), but no fever. Allr right then? No! Now they say that 1/3 or so swine flu victims don't even have a fever. Anyhow, doing fine after a nap so probably just a cold. Point is, you can't tell.

They are also saying that 1 in 5 kids have already had it and that some people may have had it but didn't know it. My boys were sick about 3 wks ago with severe sore throats, coughs, runny noses, body aches, headaches, diarrhea and nausea but no fever. I really think that is what they had. We also have to remember that not everyone that is exposed to it will get it, the same way that not everyone that is exposed to the seasonal flu get it.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:54 PM

8,540 posts, read 12,592,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
good post. i got my kids the swine flu shot today and I also got it myself. it IS made just like the others...and people think that is was a "hurry" to make it, but turns out it took like 4 months or so, the same amount of time it takes to make the regular flu shot. I don't want to take a chance...If something would happen to my kids b/c of swine flu and I did nothing to help prevent it, I just couldn't live with myself so that is how I came to my choice. Plus their ped is recommending it and my most of my family is in medicine and they said go for it as well.
FYI-I got our today in Loudoun at the Health Clinic in Leesburg. IF there is still some available they will be giving it tomorrow as well. If intersted you should call first thing in the morning to make sure they are handing it out and then go get in line. Today was from 9-11 and then 1-3. We got there at 12:20pm and we out of there at 2pm. Wasn't too bad. I just took a lot of toys and a port potty for the kids.
Thanks for the info. Was it the flumist or a shot? We might try to go if they still have some. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:58 PM

593 posts, read 2,242,000 times
Since the OP is looking for a way to track the flu in VA, there is a state-by-state flu tracker map here: battlethebug.com

About a month ago only LA, AL, and a few other states were bright red (high level of flu activity), but look at it now:

Every state is red! - (except for the lucky ones up in Maine)

Old 10-22-2009, 10:26 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,112,974 times
Kids in Lovettsville got the H1N1 vaccine today, sprayed up their noses.

I can't find any regular flu vaccine but not too worried about it yet since the flu doesn't peak until late in the winter. I've got a couple of months to get the flu shot. Maybe I can get the H1N1 at the same time. Flu vaccines are such cheap insurance. I had the flu once and it was so horrible that I knew I NEVER wanted to go through that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia