U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:16 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,118,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
Well, I've got the flu right now, and my doctor said in all probability it's swine flu. She is basing this on the CDC's report this week saying that 98% of the flu out there in the community right now is swine. My son had it as well and thankfully is back to good health (took him 7 days). I feel miserable....I'm on day # 6 of a fever, exhaustion and deep dry cough. AND this is with Tamaflu! Thankfully I have not had any stomach issues. Since I don't know with 100% certainty if this is swine, I plan on getting the shot once it's available in my county (Prince William). And I've learned my lesson on flu shots in general - never had one, fear of needles - I'll be getting them from now on. My kids too.
Sorry that you are so miserable. I had the same experience years ago, got the flu, and never again missed a flu shot. It's such cheap insurance! $25 is nothing compared to missing work for a week and feeling so miserable. But I am shocked that your doctor just guessed at what you had and didn't bother to do a simple blood test to check to see if it is the swine flu. How can we know if the flu is really here if doctors are just guessing at diagnoses? You might just have a very bad cold, for all she knows. Your doctor could save your time, and money, with simple blood test to see what you really have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:19 PM

More information on the swine flu: Obama declares swine flu a national emergency - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091024/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_swine_flu - broken link) Over 1,000 people in the US have died from H1N1, including 100 children! Yikes!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 PM

722 posts, read 1,752,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I am shocked that your doctor just guessed at what you had and didn't bother to do a simple blood test to check to see if it is the swine flu. How can we know if the flu is really here if doctors are just guessing at diagnoses? You might just have a very bad cold, for all she knows. Your doctor could save your time, and money, with simple blood test to see what you really have.
Several of my friends' children have exhibited flu-like symptoms. They've called their pediatricians and get the following answer, "we're seeing so much H1N1 lately that we aren't even testing anymore. We'll call your prescription for Tamiflu into your pharmacy." That's it. The doctors don't even want to see the kids, never mind actually test for H1N1. I guess they feel like they wouldn't have the time to test every kid with a cough and a fever, so they just dole out Tamiflu because parents want them to "do something." I'd think it was a fluke, but it keeps happening to people I know. I think it's outrageous - Tamiflu is so expensive and has side effects of its own - it shouldn't be dispensed unless someone actually has the darn flu!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
Several of my friends' children have exhibited flu-like symptoms. They've called their pediatricians and get the following answer, "we're seeing so much H1N1 lately that we aren't even testing anymore. We'll call your prescription for Tamiflu into your pharmacy." That's it. The doctors don't even want to see the kids, never mind actually test for H1N1. I guess they feel like they wouldn't have the time to test every kid with a cough and a fever, so they just dole out Tamiflu because parents want them to "do something." I'd think it was a fluke, but it keeps happening to people I know. I think it's outrageous - Tamiflu is so expensive and has side effects of its own - it shouldn't be dispensed unless someone actually has the darn flu!
I totally agree. What a shame that so many parents DEMAND medication for every sneeze and sniffle.

How can the CDC have anything close to accurate statistics?!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:27 PM

239 posts, read 574,522 times
Poor diet, lack of sunshine, no exercise, obesity, and a hopeless feeling from having a net worth of a six figure number with a negative sign in front of it. That is what people around here are suffering from. The Danny Snyder Circus is really not helping anything. So many believe that help can only come in a pill bottle. "Brandon, did you get your half pound bag of Doritos and your inhaler, it's time for school. You tell that PE teacher your mommy says you can't run (or walk), and don't forget, we have to go for a van ride to see Dr. Pillslime today."

Old 10-24-2009, 10:16 PM

722 posts, read 1,752,008 times
Issues, party of one.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:20 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,088,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
Wow, I totally disagree with that form of treatment and would probably stop seeing a pediatrician like that. Tamiflu shouldn't be handed out like candy (the way antibiotics have been). Then when we need it, truly need it, it won't work. My son had all the symptoms of the flu (103 fever, cough, congestion, body aches, etc.). We did go into the pediatrician, he was swabbed for flu (negative), but due to the high false-negative rate, he was given Tamiflu because he has moderate to severe asthma. I was told that my other child (who does not have asthma) would not be given Tamiflu if she were to start with the same illness.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:12 PM

204 posts, read 590,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Sorry that you are so miserable. I had the same experience years ago, got the flu, and never again missed a flu shot. It's such cheap insurance! $25 is nothing compared to missing work for a week and feeling so miserable. But I am shocked that your doctor just guessed at what you had and didn't bother to do a simple blood test to check to see if it is the swine flu. How can we know if the flu is really here if doctors are just guessing at diagnoses? You might just have a very bad cold, for all she knows. Your doctor could save your time, and money, with simple blood test to see what you really have.
I've heard from all over that doctors and ERs are no longer testing for swine flu. There is no way what I have is a very bad cold. But I agree I would like to know for sure whether it's swine or seasonal flu.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:11 AM

247 posts, read 611,158 times
My son had H1N1 last week. The pediatrician did test, and did confirm. While we didn't love the diagnosis, and were concerned because he's asthmatic and because we have an infant, we were thankful for the treatment. Tamiflu was prescribed but it took us calling 18 different pharmacies before finding one that had it--and they didn't "have" it, the pharmacist had to make it by grinding up the pills or something like that. The upside to it all is that once on the meds he was completely better in a day and a half. Guess some cases are milder than others.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:38 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,619,006 times
My two younger kids got the swine flu vaccine in Fairfax. I went with my two-year old yesterday and it took 20 minutes. I went with my 4-year old today (the first day they opened it up to kids up to age 5), and I waited 5 (FIVE!) hours. They were only giving out 250, and they were out of numbers by about 10 AM. If you want to bring your young children, go EARLY! Oh, and it was the shot, not the mist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia