Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times

Advertisements

Okay . . .I don't know what the law is about consuming alcohol on your own property. It must be a joke because plenty of people drink on their private proprty, have BBQs and serve beer and alcohol, etc.

OTOH, I have plenty of friends in VA who mow their lawns with those nice riding mowers. There are built-in cup holders in those things, a perfect fit for a bottle of beer.

About walking around with an open container in public: it's a little odd to get used to. When I was in Coney Island over the summer, people were walking around with beer (they even have a Coney Island beer!), and on the beaches in NJ, people have beer all the time, on the sand, wading in the water. Honestly, I don't know what the regulations were or if they were just lax at the time.

To those who criticize having a beer while doing lawn work--you just don't know what your missing. Try it -- you might like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 10:09 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Get ready to rake this weekend. Looks like we're getting at least one shower of heavy rain and when it passes through all the leaves will come down in a mighty woosh.
LOL, A Mighty Woosh! Now that's a good name for a band.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 AM

147 posts, read 410,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
When I was in Coney Island over the summer, people were walking around with beer (they even have a Coney Island beer!), and on the beaches in NJ, people have beer all the time, on the sand, wading in the water.
San Diego beaches are great. Beer and bonfires.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:29 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
San Diego beaches are great. Beer and bonfires.
Exactly! Beer is consumed in these *public* spaces so the person who told you about drinking while cutting [your own] lawn was totally out of the loop.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:48 PM

239 posts, read 642,175 times
I have heard of people getting ticketed for drinking bottles of beer on their front porches. Harrisonburg VA comes to mind. Never say never. Talk to some people in the Uni towns; Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, etc......I've heard of some horrific laws at Ocean City, Maryland with a bus there to transport people, who defy the no alcohol ordinance. Meanwhile, BO's School "Czar" is a devought member of NAMBLA.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:36 PM

Try having a party in your front yard, with open containers. You will see more cops than a bank robbery.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:45 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
I have heard of people getting ticketed for drinking bottles of beer on their front porches. Harrisonburg VA comes to mind. Never say never. Talk to some people in the Uni towns; Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, etc......I've heard of some horrific laws at Ocean City, Maryland with a bus there to transport people, who defy the no alcohol ordinance. Meanwhile, BO's School "Czar" is a devought member of NAMBLA.

You've "heard" stories. What the hell does that prove? Nothing. If these people, usually college students, are in an open area such as an apartment complex then yes they can be charged. If they are underage and in plain view in a pvt yard then yes they can be charged. But police officers are not going around looking for homeowners drinking in their yards.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:46 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
Try having a party in your front yard, with open containers. You will see more cops than a bank robbery.
LOL, yah right. Wow, you must think Nova's really wealthy if you think the police can afford a whole squadron to do nothing but drive around the neighborhoods searching for some guy drinking a beer on his front yard.

Outdoor BBQs are part of life in the suburbs. It's not uncommon to see a whole neighborhood get together on the cul de sac--my neighborhood does it 4-5 times a year. Lots of BBQ, lots of open containers. Nobody hauled away in handcuffs yet (at least... not by a police officer... )

Old 10-24-2009, 04:48 PM

There is a difference between public property and public view. Apparently, it can be applied as public view in some areas. The cops have time enough to drive around at night checking for County Stickers.........never mind the 30 or so, obviously, illegals, urinating behind the 7-11. Looks like one of them was just arrested for raping a 13 yo. Twisted law enforcement policies have been a way of life here for years.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:08 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
You really are clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia