U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:38 AM

2,005 posts, read 3,538,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I generally don't mind driving other people around if we're on the same schedule, but if I'm working 6-2:30 and one of the people's bosses wants them to work late until 4:30, then I'm NOT sitting around for 2 hours at the end of my workday staring at the gorgeous beauty that is Tyson's Corner. Also, what if I fall ill at work and need to go home early? Also, there are some times coming up that I'll be working out of Herndon, and there will also be some times I'll need to be giving visitors to our agency a ride back-and-forth between locations. That would strand the others. I suppose you could always say to me that they can always take the bus themselves to get back home, but methinks they'd end up frustrated and not want to carpool anymore.
As a long term carpooler (more than 8 years in two different cities) I know that these issues come up and they are always workable. Occasional bus trips to or from the office have never been a problem for anyone I commuted with. The big issue with carpooling is that it gets cars off the road and gives you company on the ride. And no you don't wait for 2 hours for someone who has to work late!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:40 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,961,595 times
People find ways to be productive in transit. They read, study, pray, nap, Blackberry, use their laptops ... Scran-Barre, you could post here on the forum from the bus about how you're putting you're putting your words into action!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:36 AM

2,293 posts, read 5,587,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
People find ways to be productive in transit. They read, study, pray, nap, Blackberry, use their laptops ... Scran-Barre, you could post here on the forum from the bus about how you're putting you're putting your words into action!
You can't do those things on Metro at least. My DH takes it every day, rush hour in the AM, all diff. hours in the PM.
In the PM, he gets on at Metro Center and there are times he can't get on the next TRAIN because its packed like sardines. When he does get on a train, he does not get a seat and is usually packed in the middle of the train. There is no room to take out a laptop. The Orange line is standing room only until after Dunn Loring offloads. Also, the train, at least 2x a week, breaks down and offloads then reloads on a new train (thus another rush for seats or a comfortable place to stand).
In the AM, he usually does not get a seat.

I only take the train weekday afternoons with my toddler for entertainment. The train here is like the trolley system in San Diego (except not so busy). I could never rely on public transport in DC Metro to go food shopping or get to the pediatrician with a kid.

We lived in Chicago and DH lived in San Fran. We never had public transport problems like the ones in this metro.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 AM

30,196 posts, read 67,339,144 times
Leighland is absolutely correct, and that has always baffled me. The Orange Line is VERY congested, and yet Northern Virginia STILL has the nation's second-worst traffic gridlock. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that yes, NoVA, DOES need the Silver Line to help ease Orange Line congestion.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:46 AM

132 posts, read 286,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Ironically, the airport road is currently backed up because of Silver Line construction!
Hmmm, then that won't work. How about going extreme and "forcing" people to carpool or use public transportation? Something like no cars with license plate number ending zero or one can get on the main arteries on Monday, that would get 20% of the car off the road.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:57 AM

132 posts, read 286,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlumpen View Post
The two pressures that make the problem unsolvable from a logisticla point of view are immigration and desire for tax revenue. If you make transportation faster to an area, a development will just move that much farther out till is slows again.

Immigration is what's driving population growth through the roof, and if it continues at current levels, people are just going to have to accept a lower quality of life. Governments are always eager to add housing developments and office space in an effort to grow their tax base. Predictions are real bad for this area. Try to live close to work and hunker down.
I disagree. Most of the immigrants I know in this area are highly educated, they contribute a lot to our tax base. They also tend to use public transportation or car pool. Try getting on a commuter bus in the morning rush hour and see how many east indians are on board.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:37 PM

139 posts, read 257,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
So true so true! To say that immigrants are the cause of VA's traffic woes is silly at best and racist/xenophobic at worst.
I found this from a reputable site:
"By 2050, this (Washington Metro) region will add at least another 2 million residents. Imagine incorporating the population of Houston, Texas into our present-day region. In addition, serious issues threaten our quality of life, such as worsening traffic congestion, a lack of affordable housing, and stark disparities throughout the region in education and health."
Greater Washington 2050

Also the Census Bureau:
"Even though childbearing levels in the United States remain quite close
to the level needed only to replace the population, the increasing number
of potential parents (due to immigration) and continued migration from abroad would besufficient to add nearly 300 million people during the next century," said Census Bureau analyst Frederick W. Hollmann. US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/000419.html - broken link)

I wish that folks could refrain from name calling. My point is simply to rid people of the illusion that we can build our way out of the problem. Many ideas can help, but traffic will get worse and the concept of living in a single family home will inceasing be for the wealthy.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:57 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,645,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
As a long term carpooler (more than 8 years in two different cities) I know that these issues come up and they are always workable. Occasional bus trips to or from the office have never been a problem for anyone I commuted with. The big issue with carpooling is that it gets cars off the road and gives you company on the ride. And no you don't wait for 2 hours for someone who has to work late!
If you know you can commute via public transit (even if takes longer than usual), then you know that you have backup options. Also, Commuter Connections has a Guaranteed Ride Home program for emergencies (usable up to 4 times per year). You just have to register, and there are some conditions on when the program can be used.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:21 AM

1,430 posts, read 3,491,314 times
Quote:
Ideally they should also consider linking the Inter-County Connector that is currently under construction in Maryland over the Potomac into Virginia, perhaps in the Ashburn area (I'm sure the people in Great Falls would freak out if it were to go there).
Now THIS is something I can agree with. It would be nice if they could somehow connect it to Rt. 28 that way there could be a link between 95 in Maryland and 66 in Virginia that would take more cars off the Beltway. Yes we do need more mass transit options but we also need more roads in this area. But of course you get the whiny NIMBY response of "induced congestion" and "loss of habitat" (their neighborhood didn't cause that) and "increased accessibility=increased crime" etc etc.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:14 PM

659 posts, read 1,835,538 times
Quote:
Ideally they should also consider linking the Inter-County Connector that is currently under construction in Maryland over the Potomac into Virginia, perhaps in the Ashburn area (I'm sure the people in Great Falls would freak out if it were to go there).
I think the environmentalists are pretty against it too.

hopefully the purple line gets approved (is the approve/deny time next month) and va should think about linking it up to tysons or falls church right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or