U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 AM

381 posts, read 1,228,986 times

Advertisements

Quality of Verizon FiOS is outstanding, and would be my preference. However, I'll probably never use them again because their customer service is a nightmare. When we recently moved, they continued to bill us and turned our service off a week earlier than planned. It took me SIX months and fifteen, yes, FIFTEEN hours on the phone trying to get the matter resolved. My last phone call to them where I was transferred EIGHT times in the course of 90 minutes, only to be told someone would call me back within the hour and no phone call in the next 24 hours. After that, I sent out a bulk email to their entire corporate office. *THAT's* what it took for someone to actually help me resolve the issue. Nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 07:33 AM

738 posts, read 2,618,146 times
I'm might be the only one with this view, but I don't think that the FIOS internet is all that incredible. I was on Comcast cable for the past decade or so, then we got Fios when I moved into my new house. We have their fastest internet option, and to be honest, I don't feel like it surfs the net any faster than a cable connection. It does download files insanely fast, but I don't need that too often nowadays. The connection is plenty fast though and it is plenty reliable, I just wouldn't choose to pay much more for the tiny differences it offers in my overall internet experience.

Now, for TV options, I feel like Fios blows everyone out of the water, and this is the reason we chose Fios. They have a great line-up and the HD picture quality just seems better to me, the premium channels are all in HD, and we've got plenty of the small random channels you dont get with cable or satellite - like regional sports broadcasts, international channels, smaller networks that have good shows. We've got all the premiums as well, but we watch most of them to warrant it.

I had comcast for basically my entire childhood and college, and never had any issues with them either. Their internet was plenty fast to me (my parents still have it, and the surfing speed is the same at their house as mine). We chose Fios for their television packages and love the tv side of it.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:49 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,315,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
they told me that the modem has wireless capability, but I guess my question is, can I use this wi fi anywhere there is Verizon service? similar to mobile broadband? or no?
No, it's not like mobile broadband. It's wireless in your house only.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:54 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,315,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
I'm might be the only one with this view, but I don't think that the FIOS internet is all that incredible. I was on Comcast cable for the past decade or so, then we got Fios when I moved into my new house. We have their fastest internet option, and to be honest, I don't feel like it surfs the net any faster than a cable connection. It does download files insanely fast, but I don't need that too often nowadays. The connection is plenty fast though and it is plenty reliable, I just wouldn't choose to pay much more for the tiny differences it offers in my overall internet experience.
I think this depends upon each person's individual needs for high-speed access. We had Cox cable prior to switching to Verizon DSL and then to Verizon FIOS. Cox cable was pretty bad, Verizon DSL was a marked improvement, and Verizon FIOS has been fabulous for us -- but I'm doing heavy database work, file uploads/downloads, etc. and do this from home frequently. If I were just "surfing the net" I'm not sure that I would see such a difference between providers.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:54 AM

312 posts, read 339,787 times
Verizon is the way to go - DSL or FIOS.

I have DSL - upgraded, but can't get FIOS at my house... well, actually, I refuse to have my basement ceiling ripped out, which is what they would have to do, to upgrade the wiring for FIOS. So we have DSL which is fast - I have not had any problems with it in the 4 years I have been here.
My brother in law has Comcast, and its always going out on him for some reason or another.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 AM

30 posts, read 104,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
they told me that the modem has wireless capability, but I guess my question is, can I use this wi fi anywhere there is Verizon service? similar to mobile broadband? or no?
No. Mobile broadband is an entirely different service, provided through Verizon Wireless (and other cellular service providers like AT&T and T-Mobile). What your DSL comes with is a wireless router that allows computers in your home to connect wirelessly over 802.11b and 802.11g. Laptops and video game consoles like the Wii and the PlayStation 3 have wireless cards that enable you to connect to your home Internet connection without the need for a cable.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:28 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,011,978 times
well what they told me is that in addition to the wireless router, I would get a "card" for my laptop for WiFi to be used at Starbucks for example or anywhere there is a hotspot I guess. My question is why would I need this if i have wireless G on my laptop already. They just said i wouldn't have to pay the Starbucks or hotel fee....just not sure what the heck it will do for me outside of Starbucks

Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 PM

87 posts, read 187,979 times
Verizon's customer service is THE WORST. We tried to get a phone jack installed for the DSL - we spent hours on hold, they transfered us to one another 10-11 times each time we called (I counted). Their representatives are mostly outsourced from other countries (like Mexico, India - I asked). They could not understand a simple thing that I wanted a phone jack installed, finally I spoke with someone American who understood what I needed. The earliest available appointment day they had was 7 days later.
No one showed up on the appointment day, and no one even called to tell me they are not coming. After more countless hours on hold with different departments, I had to schedule it again for 8 days later, they could not even expedite it. All that time we were without internet but paying for it. The reason I was given for them not showing up the first time was - "your order just got lost in the system, that happens often".
Guess what - 8 days later no one showed up again to install freaking phone jack, no one even called again, and the worst part is that the time slot i was given was 8AM to 5 PM. I wasted the entire day waiting for them, called again, and no one could tell me if they were going to come.
Another day later, someone showed up unscheduled without any notice and said: oh, I don't do that, I can't install it and I can't make your internet work. I could not beleive it. All those weeks wasted and still no internet.
Now we try to install wireless, but have problems with that also because of Verizon's modem.
Again, we spent HOURS talking to people from other countries, and no result. Several times they'd say: our phone line is having problems, we'll call you back. Of course, no one ever did call us back.

We were pretty satisfied with Comcast, but unfortunately they don't have service in out area. We are switching to Cox.

Avoid Verizon if you can, they are the worst.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:46 PM

87 posts, read 187,979 times
Oh, and I forgot to add that Verizon people started calling me from blocked phone numbers saying that thay need more information "to finish my order for FIOS". I told them MILLION TIMES "NO, I don't need FIOS" when I called about the phone jack. But they just need to make a sale, so they harass you later illegally.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,011,978 times
I guess it's clear they are all horrible, Comcast is jerking me around BIG TIME...Verizon at least is getting something DONE. I am not worried about the customer service, but the speed of connection really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2009 View Post
Verizon's customer service is THE WORST. We tried to get a phone jack installed for the DSL - we spent hours on hold, they transfered us to one another 10-11 times each time we called (I counted). Their representatives are mostly outsourced from other countries (like Mexico, India - I asked). They could not understand a simple thing that I wanted a phone jack installed, finally I spoke with someone American who understood what I needed. The earliest available appointment day they had was 7 days later.
No one showed up on the appointment day, and no one even called to tell me they are not coming. After more countless hours on hold with different departments, I had to schedule it again for 8 days later, they could not even expedite it. All that time we were without internet but paying for it. The reason I was given for them not showing up the first time was - "your order just got lost in the system, that happens often".
Guess what - 8 days later no one showed up again to install freaking phone jack, no one even called again, and the worst part is that the time slot i was given was 8AM to 5 PM. I wasted the entire day waiting for them, called again, and no one could tell me if they were going to come.
Another day later, someone showed up unscheduled without any notice and said: oh, I don't do that, I can't install it and I can't make your internet work. I could not beleive it. All those weeks wasted and still no internet.
Now we try to install wireless, but have problems with that also because of Verizon's modem.
Again, we spent HOURS talking to people from other countries, and no result. Several times they'd say: our phone line is having problems, we'll call you back. Of course, no one ever did call us back.

We were pretty satisfied with Comcast, but unfortunately they don't have service in out area. We are switching to Cox.

Avoid Verizon if you can, they are the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia