Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:18 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Those who beat their chests in support of Reston may just wish to read this month's Washingtonian, in which 95-year-old Reston founder Bob Simon himself is interviewed and admits the place isn't what he had envisioned. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to waste the entirety of the formative years of my life wallowing around in an over-priced (yet ironically far-flung) community that is still trying to "find itself" 45 years after it was founded. As I said in another thread I'm already researching career opportunities in other areas and am looking forward to relocation. I'd much rather earn $35,000 in Pittsburgh and be able to live comfortably in a 1-BR apartment in a walkable historic neighborhood with sidewalks and mature tree lawns instead of earning substantially more than that in Reston and barely keeping my head above water while not deriving any redeeming qualities from looking at cul-de-sacs, sitting in traffic for an hour en route to work if I dare to "sleep in" and leave at 7 AM, or dining at over-priced chain restaurants that the locals rave over.

With that being said I'm going to be focusing more of my energy planning my "escape" and promise to NOT clog this forum with ranting (assuming people agree to a stalemate so this thread can die and not become "heated" with any "don't let the door hit your...." sort of commentary.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,503 times
ScranBarre's Status "Will Reston EVER Feel Like "Home?""

They say "home is where the heart is" and if your heart is not in Reston, or if you are unwilling to try to find your heart in Reston, then I think you should find some place where you can make your home.

It seems you have looked at Reston from a "glass half empty" rather than "glass half full" perspective from the time you got here. All relocations take time and I really don't think you gave Reston the time that it deserves before you decided that it wasn't going to change overnight to your specifications. I'm willing to accept Reston for the place it is today, not for what Bob Simon's vision was 45 years ago or what it might become in the next 10, 20, or 30 years.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:12 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Those who beat their chests in support of Reston may just wish to read this month's Washingtonian, in which 95-year-old Reston founder Bob Simon himself is interviewed and admits the place isn't what he had envisioned.
Since I spent several years working at the Reston Museum, I know Bob Simon very well. You make it sound like he doesn't like Reston. I can tell you that whether or not it turned out as envisioned when initially built 45 years ago, he loves Reston and is very happy with how it turned out.

You probably did not turn out exctly the way your parents envisioned you would when you were born. But I'm willing to bet your parents love you and are proud of the way you turned out, and of all the way you will continue changing and growing.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to waste the entirety of the formative years of my life wallowing around in an over-priced (yet ironically far-flung) community that is still trying to "find itself" 45 years after it was founded.
LOL, gee I didn't know Reston was lost. BTW, all healthy communities grow and change and "find themselves" over and over. Think how many changes Alexandria's gone through over the years... and will go through in the years to come.

But hey, the important thing is Reston's not for you. And you have definitely decided this. For today, anyway... I hope things work out for you in Pittsburgh or Canterville or Arlington or Alexandria or whatever is the latest paradise du jour. A young guy liek you should live in a lot of towns. Then one day you find out that no matter where you go, no place is perfect, and most towns are going to end up having many of the same things that annoy you about Reston.

One day you may even move back to Reston saying "I don't know why I hated it so much." Sometimes you never knew how nice a place is until you move away.

Last edited by normie; 10-26-2009 at 08:29 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Quote:
Those who beat their chests in support of Reston may just wish to read this month's Washingtonian, in which 95-year-old Reston founder Bob Simon himself is interviewed and admits the place isn't what he had envisioned. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to waste the entirety of the formative years of my life wallowing around in an over-priced (yet ironically far-flung) community that is still trying to "find itself" 45 years after it was founded. As I said in another thread I'm already researching career opportunities in other areas and am looking forward to relocation. I'd much rather earn $35,000 in Pittsburgh and be able to live comfortably in a 1-BR apartment in a walkable historic neighborhood with sidewalks and mature tree lawns instead of earning substantially more than that in Reston and barely keeping my head above water while not deriving any redeeming qualities from looking at cul-de-sacs, sitting in traffic for an hour en route to work if I dare to "sleep in" and leave at 7 AM, or dining at over-priced chain restaurants that the locals rave over.

With that being said I'm going to be focusing more of my energy planning my "escape" and promise to NOT clog this forum with ranting (assuming people agree to a stalemate so this thread can die and not become "heated" with any "don't let the door hit your...." sort of commentary.
Reston might not be exactly what the man envisioned 45 years ago but I think at the end of the day it turned out quite well. The community has become the site of many high tech businesses, a diverse and growing population, thriving town center area (for a suburb), living options that include everything from high rise to townhouse to single family home...I could go on.

I doubt Pittsburgh's founders ever envisioned that one day their city would have less than half the population it had 50 years earlier, decaying neighborhoods, a lackluster job market, a regional population that is also declining etc. Does that mean it is a completely awful place? Not to the people that still live there. Not to you. It's about what a person wants in life. You obviously don't want to be here so you are doing the right thing and looking at relocation options...you will probably leave and your place will be taken by several other people moving here for a variety of reasons. It happens all the time.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Yep, Scran-Barre has already taken up residence in the Pittsburgh forum. Not only has he dumped on us here in this forum, and on Reston/Fairfax County, but he's complained about his job, his colleagues, and even his boss. What shall we do without him ? The only glitch seems to be that he's finding the job market a bit challenging. But it's only his first evening there (despite which he has already welcomed a new resident to Pittsburgh) so I for one will wish him well in finding what he wants.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:30 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Yep, Scran-Barre has already taken up residence in the Pittsburgh forum. Not only has he dumped on us here in this forum, and on Reston/Fairfax County, but he's complained about his job, his colleagues, and even his boss. What shall we do without him ? The only glitch seems to be that he's finding the job market a bit challenging. But it's only his first evening there (despite which he has already welcomed a new resident to Pittsburgh) so I for one will wish him well in finding what he wants.
LOL..........poor Scranny. I hope he eventually learns that he has to choose to be happy. It's not the location that makes us happy. "The fault lies not within the stars, but within ourselves".

Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
And with that... let's declare this thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia