U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:03 PM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times

Advertisements

I moved here for my mother's job, I stay because it's cheaper for me to live with my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 04:20 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,860,588 times
Born here at the corner of Duke & Washington, 1951. I too could move anywhere on this planet TOMORROW...but I like it here, and will probably stay til the Grim Reaper comes for me. The only wild card is if I ever get up the nerve to live my dream of buying a sailboat and circumnavigating the globe. Actually, I need more than nerve....I gotta talk my wife into going. As it stands, I'd rather have her than the open ocean!

As mentioned, this area's big advantage is the Federal Government...the ONLY entity that can (legally) print money. Until (or when) they print so much that it becomes worthless...we'll always have a leg up on most places.

And hey, If the apocalypse does indeed come and the only things that matter is food and ammo....Virginia has lots of fertile land and fairly lax gun laws. Oh wait, there won't be any laws....nevermind...

Last edited by car54; 10-26-2009 at 05:26 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 05:52 PM

257 posts, read 498,608 times
For the job. In fact, for two of them. I went to undergrad here, moved away, stayed gone for a few years, went to grad school in the midwest, and when I graduated, had eight interviews. Two offers. Incidentally, the other offer was in Tysons, and I chose this one in part because I could live in Reston and have a reverse commute to work

DC sorta chose me. When I was SB's age, I had roommates, was struggling financially, and hated it. And when I was job hunting this time around, I was *not* hoping to come back here. But this is where the "good jobs" are. I do aviation work -- had an interview with US Airways in Pittsburgh (of all places) and when we were doing the salary talk (I never got an offer, but they post the salary range on their website) I came to find out that I make about 40%-50% more here than I would have there. And their TOP end of that pay band was several thousand below the BOTTOM end of the national average range for a math geek with a masters degree. They were only willing to pay me just a few thousand more than what SB makes here.

I looked at a position in Dallas, but never got an offer. I definitely would not have made as much as I do here, but OTOH, $1500 rents you a luxury 1 BDR in uptown.

I also think that the feds pay a bit below what private industry does -- but that's because the "government job security" comes with a price. My company is at the whim of certain federal agencies. If one of them chose not to renew a contract in a few years, we could be out on the street. Also, the federal COLA isn't as high as it should be in the more expensive cities.

The funny thing is, SB is correct in just about everything he says about our corner of Reston. But I don't hate it as much as he does, and a huge part of it is that I can afford to enjoy myself here (well, I think most places in the RTC are overpriced). I could afford to live in a 1-BDR apartment on the metro line in Arlington. But I'm willing to save $700 month AND have a short commute to work. Much like SB doesn't want to define himself by his job, I don't define myself based on where I live. So I'm willing to take those benefits at the "cost" of living in Reston.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,011,340 times
I moved here just recently from CT (Metro NYC) because:

1. Jobs aplenty - NYC is comparatively dead job-wise right now
2. Beautiful countryside still to be found out in Western Loudoun where we are
3. Proximity to even more beautiful areas in VA and great historical sites/value
4. Proximity to DC when we want to visit
5. Close enough to "home" where the family is in CT
6. Much lower cost of living - yep sorry guys but NOVA has nothing on Fairfield/Westchester Counties outside NYC. I sold my small 1900 sq ft 3 bedroom house there for $40K more than we spent on our brand new 4 bedroom, 2600 sq ft home in the historic district of Round Hill
7. Slower pace of life, friendlier people - all that
8. Close to a major airport (Dulles) without battling hours worth of NYC traffic to get to Laguardia, JFK or Newark
9. Great schools

Well that's about it...sure there are things that irk me about NOVA, the lack of character in the bigger cities is one, and the prominance of big box stores, chain restaurants and just miles and miles of houses stacked one on top of the other, but everywhere has its tradeoffs.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:56 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,776,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
This is the conclusion I've arrived at, and this is why I just spend the past hour-and-a-half looking at online job postings for Pittsburgh. Reston will hopefully just be a distant memory and will go down into the books as a "mistake" by this time next year.
So much for yesterday's announcement of "I've decided to stay in the Northern Virginia area long-term."

Best of luck wherever you end up, Scran. Pittsburgh's calling you, take a chance and see if you like it.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:53 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,188,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
So much for yesterday's announcement of "I've decided to stay in the Northern Virginia area long-term."
Read all of my replies in that thread. Another poster mentioned this quote as well so I clarified that my "I've decided to stay in Northern Virginia long-term" comment was only meant to help set up a scenario---it wasn't me admitting that I want to actually stay here. I've made some in-roads into the Pittsburgh forum and have begun doing my "homework." I like what I see.

It's a shame that I moved here with such an idealistic personality and became so horribly sour, but such is life I suppose.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:35 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,119,899 times
I live here because of inertia.

I moved here at age 12 when my father got a job with the Federal govt. We had been living in a small town in the South. We were excited to move here, and I think it had a positive influence on my life. But although I lived in a few different states as a child, as an adult I've only lived in the DC metro area except for one year of college in the Midwest, which I hated and I came back here.

I find there is nothing really negative about the area that compels me to leave, other than my over-familiarity with it and a desire to experience other places. I definitely do have a propensity towards "the grass is greener over there." However, a walk through Old Town on a Fall evening will get me thinking, "maybe I should just stay put, it's nice here."

And contrary to what some people may believe, I've been able to enjoy life plenty while not being a professional making a good salary. I didn't follow a path of college with a definite career goal, internship, good job. I didn't get into my current line of work until my 30s. In days gone by, I enjoyed clubbing, biking, the scenery, driving Skyline Drive, fixing up old sports cars, playing in bands, the museums, the sunshine on beautiful days on the National Mall, countless years of 4th of July fireworks, Sunday mornings at Bread and Chocolate, and much more ---- while working jobs like delivery driver, medical records clerk, receptionist, video store clerk, etc.

Of course, I had roommates. I knew I wanted to live more urban rather than suburban, and just because I knew I couldn't afford Arlington or DC on my own didn't make me put up with Ffx Co subdivisions. As a matter of fact, I had a friend who didn't have to "put up with" roommates while making modest wages - he found someone who had a basement converted to an apartment in Arlington. Where there's a will, there's a way. But for me, I had roommates. Often they were people who already were my friends, and we went in on a place together. It wasn't like living with a stranger who answered an ad. Later, I found studio apartments at good prices - just luck, I guess (condo owners often rent below market value), and I enjoyed all the solitude I could stand.

And I wasn't driving a BMW or Audi, didn't go to Europe until I was 26 (and that was financed by selling an old guitar I wish I'd kept, and I traveled on the cheap), my parents didn't finance me, and I wasn't making $40K until I was almost 30. I've been flat broke, I've even been homeless (but had friends who put me on their couch), and while that was no fun, I didn't lament that the area sucked because so many other people had more money or better lives than I did. Plenty of times I wished for a better life, but didn't think that some other geographical place held the key for me to achieve happiness.

Maybe I will one day move somewhere else. But if you're going to feel stuck in a place, DC/NOVA isn't such a bad place to be, IMO. There definitely could be worse.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,118,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
We came for a job too. While we've only been here since the end of June, I actually really like it. Yeah, the traffic is a burden at times and people can't drive, but they can't drive anywhere else in the country either. So far our family of 4 and two furry friends really like it here. There is tons to do and we are enjoying the new scenery. 30+ years was too long to live in the Pacific NW. It's perfect for our young family.
You're going to love our winters, it doesn't rain/drizzle everyday. We have cold days, but they can be bright and sunny. I was in Seattle in September and we do love it there, in the summer. It's beautiful. But we decided years ago that we couldn't take a gray winter so we couldn't move to Seattle.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Getting back to the subject, I was born here.

Couldn't wait to leave Virginia when I went off to college. Had a lot of fun moving all over the country, and spent the next 15 years living in the "cool" towns. Eventually bought a place about a mile from the beach in southern California and thought I'd never want to live anywhere else.

Then my husband's job transferred him to Northern Virginia. We thought it was going to be a temporary move, but we've been here a little more than a decade now. We go back to California all the time, and the funny thing is it's lost its appeal to me. These days I'm extremely happy to be in Nova and not California, not just because of the job situation but for a lot of reasons. Maybe we just outgrew it.

The Virginia way of life has grown on me, and I hope we don't ever have to leave here.

Oh, and BTW I'm another person who likes Reston. Sorry you didn't like it Scran, but IMO it's a beautiful area. I go for walks over there all the time and I have a lot friends who live there and love it. Wish I could afford a house there, but that's ok. I'm very happy in Herndon, too.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 AM

257 posts, read 498,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I moved here just recently from CT (Metro NYC) because:
2. Beautiful countryside still to be found out in Western Loudoun where we are
3. Proximity to even more beautiful areas in VA and great historical sites/value
My fiance and I have recently discovered wine country. I had no idea how much fun it is to explore the beautiful countryside with a bottle of locally made wine. And to think it's 20 minutes down the road on the weekends.

Quote:
8. Close to a major airport (Dulles) without battling hours worth of NYC traffic to get to Laguardia, JFK or Newark
Yeah. It's now cheaper for me to take a cab from Reston than it is to pay for parking if I'm going to be gone for more than three days.

I'm also greatly dismayed at how inaccessible NYC is from its major airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or