U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:13 AM

606 posts, read 1,513,808 times

Advertisements

The advice to look for a roommate on Craig's List is the best. Of course, sometimes you luck up and sometimes, you don't find much, but if you have some time to wait out for the right deal, it's a good option.

I live in Fair Oaks in a nice 4-BR condo with 2 roommates and I'm renting 2 rooms (both smaller rooms) for about $800/month when you include utilities. It's a great situation for me, but I might have lucked up a bit, as well. (And I waited around for about 3 weeks before it came up.)

If you're determined to go the Manassas route, my advice would be to experiment around a lot in the morning. I-66 is going to be a nightmare from 8:30 to 9:30. Get on Google Maps and try to pick out some back ways that might work. I never drive down to Manassas, so I don't know of any good routes firsthand, but Google suggests its only about 14 miles from Fair Oaks. And there are a lot of roads in the area --- surely there must be some way that's not completely miserable, but you might have to search around a bit. If not, my guess is that you're looking at a good 45-60 minute commute.

You might also consider looking for apartments in Herndon or Reston. I don't know what the going rates up there are, but I'm guessing they are somewhat less expensive than Fair Oaks; but maybe not enough to be in your range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:57 AM

309 posts, read 737,384 times
Rt 28 is pretty much a parking lot and Lee Highway backs up starting in Centreville. I live in Bristow and take 66 (leaving at 8:30) and generally get to Fair Lakes in 30 minutes. 66 after 8:00 am actually gets better from the stretch of Haymarket to FFX County parkway. Generally the backup starts at the parkway which is easily accessible to Fair Oaks. I agree wholeheartedly with other posters, I would look at share situations or basement apts. In that price range, you get what you pay for in terms of dicey neighborhood and roach motel

Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 PM

5 posts, read 7,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahousehunter View Post
66 will still be congested in the 9:00 hr so I would say maybe leave 8:30 - 8:45, just to be safe? (Sort of depends on if you're exit 55 Fairfax or exit 62 Fairfax or in between)

I have no idea where in Fairfax...i do know that it is right across the street from some mall called, fair oaks mall? Ive never been there, I just saw it on the way to my interview. But I will take the time frame into consideration! Thanks a bunch...very helpful!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:28 PM

5 posts, read 7,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
You might also consider looking for apartments in Herndon or Reston. I don't know what the going rates up there are, but I'm guessing they are somewhat less expensive than Fair Oaks; but maybe not enough to be in your range.
Thanks I will check Herndon and Reston out, I appreciate all the feedback! It helps out tremendously......it definitely seems like being cheap around NOVA is not an option. Oh well....i guess I could understand....a lot of people around NOVA have deep pockets....im just not that deep, at least not yet! ha! Thanks again!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:36 AM

312 posts, read 339,605 times
I have a friend who lives in Sterling, right at the Dulles shopping center, and he says he gets to Fairfax in 30 min. Herndon might be good, too.
Centerville is another option.

Welcome to Virginia!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:52 AM

280 posts, read 911,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssagirl View Post
I have no idea where in Fairfax...i do know that it is right across the street from some mall called, fair oaks mall? Ive never been there, I just saw it on the way to my interview. But I will take the time frame into consideration! Thanks a bunch...very helpful!
Oh OK, that is the western most part of Fairfax (along 66 you will have 7 miles of "Fairfax" exits from mile 55, yours/Fair Oaks to exit 62 Vienna/Ffx metro). That means you're closer to Centreville/Manassas (and farther from beltway traffic) than the eastern part of Ffx.

I don't think that's the worst commute to Manassas, but probably allow 45 mins to start since it varies by minute almost, but probably closer to 30 on a normal day. If you are younger/single I would also consider living closer in (Falls Church?) and doing the reverse commute. When I first moved to NoVA I lived in Arlington and worked off the Fair Oaks exit and even that wasn't too bad b/c the majority of traffic was going the other way.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:41 PM

187 posts, read 436,727 times
Haymarket has really nice apartments for $800/month. I believe they are 2 bedrooms. Close to 29 - near where the BoneFish restaurant is. Easy commute to Fairfax from Haymarket if you are leaving after 8:30.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,234,336 times
I would check out Springfield. You could take the Fairfax county parkway straight in.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM

7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I would check out Springfield. You could take the Fairfax county parkway straight in.
You are right although rents would likely be beyond the $900 ceiling that the OP is seeking. Then again, one would hope that the OP has found a place in the two months since she first created this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia