Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM

5 posts, read 8,230 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I REALLY need some insight people...Im trying to find a 1 Br apt. in the $700-$900 max price range, I am not too worried about crime, I currently live in Baltimore (i dont think it gets any worse) HA! Anyways... I might decide to go with Manassas (seems affordable), if you have any suggestions on apartments, other cities near fairfax that are affordable and reasonable commute, please provide...

I havent read anything positive about 28 and 66...what would a commute from Manassas to Fairfax be like if I am working a job from 930am-630pm. I currently live in Reisterstown, Maryland (baltimore county) soooo I know that VA traffic is horrible, but Ive never had to deal with the b.s traffic, until now since I got this new job which will require me to move. The job is in Fairfax near Fair oaks mall. I need a place by the end of November...please help, Im appreciative of any feedback i can get!

Last edited by lyssagirl; 10-27-2009 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
I suggest looking on Craigslist and see if you can get a basement apartment. I'm not familiar with the commute from Manassas but others here can offer their insight. If I were working in the Fair Oaks area, I would try to center my housing search in the city of Fairfax as well as Oakton and maybe Chantilly.

Welcome to Virginia and congrats on the new job!

Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
In that price range your best bet is a to share an apartment with a room mate in an apartment in the Fair Oaks mall area - try Craigslist.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:09 AM

33 posts, read 110,982 times
Yeah, your best bet is to share an apartment in the Fair Lakes area or rent a basement.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:49 AM

372 posts, read 1,116,323 times
700-900 1bd room apartments in fairfax do not exist. 1200-1400 seems to be the going range, for the cheapest 1bd.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Im not looking for that price in fairfax, i know it doesnt exist...however I am finding apts for $800-$900 range that I am okay with, but they are all in Manassas....from the looks at other posts... it doesnt look like a great commute....but for the price i might have to suck it up. What time would I have to leave for a 930am start time coming from Manassas????

Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
If I were working in the Fair Oaks area, I would try to center my housing search in the city of Fairfax as well as Oakton and maybe Chantilly.

Welcome to Virginia and congrats on the new job!
Thanks....I will look into Oakton and Chantilly!

Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 PM

280 posts, read 1,041,516 times
66 will still be congested in the 9:00 hr so I would say maybe leave 8:30 - 8:45, just to be safe? (Sort of depends on if you're exit 55 Fairfax or exit 62 Fairfax or in between)

I live in Manassas and I really don't dislike it as much as most of this forum does, though I do work from home and think I live in a better area than some parts of Manassas. Search this forum for many discussions of the pros and cons of Manassas . . . .

I think part of why Ffx is so expensive is that it's hard to find apartments that aren't fairly new/big/nice. I had my own apartment in Arlington for 700/month (7 yrs ago--no idea what it is now) that was a little older, smaller, less updated, but in a great location, and when I moved to Ffx to be closer to work I was amazed that all the apartments were big/new/expensive--there was no cheap option. I ended up in a group home that was a blast though.

If living alone is important to you, you might also luck out in Falls Church, since it has some less expensive areas that are probably comparable to Manassas socioeconomically and would give you the reverse commute.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:27 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Just be wary of apartments in the Fairfax-Oakton area that are too inexpensive, as there's a reason for that. You could share a house, however, in that range, I would imagine.

Manassas to Fair Oaks is bad, but not the worst commute of your life most days. 66 is a pain in the neck, but sometimes 29 is faster, even with the lights. Route 29 also goes right through the Fair Oaks area, so it's not too terrible a ride. And, if you're in the Route 28 Corridor in Manassas as opposed to 234, you can take 28 north to New Braddock Road, follow until you reach Clifton Road, turn left, cross over Route 29 and be in the Fair Lakes-Fair Oaks area without too much fuss, even given the traffic.

For 9:30, you might need to leave by 8:15, depending upon which part of Manassas from which you will be leaving. After it becomes a routine, you will know better if 45 minutes is better for your commute. It's not the same as being wedded to Route 66 to get to the Metro or to Tyson's Corner, so I think that Manassas would work for your situation.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 AM

608 posts, read 1,707,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahousehunter View Post
I had my own apartment in Arlington for 700/month (7 yrs ago--no idea what it is now) that was a little older, smaller, less updated, but in a great location, and when I moved to Ffx to be closer to work I was amazed that all the apartments were big/new/expensive--there was no cheap option. I ended up in a group home that was a blast though.

If living alone is important to you, you might also luck out in Falls Church, since it has some less expensive areas that are probably comparable to Manassas socioeconomically and would give you the reverse commute.
Even most of the dumpier 1-BRs in Arlington go for at least $1100/month now. Falls Church probably isn't much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia