U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 AM

660 posts, read 1,500,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I know what you mean, I used to feel that way where I used to live. Just a thought: maybe you could find a grocery store located close to your office building and then you can hit it before you get into traffic.
This is what I do. The grocery store near my office in Oakton (the one Terrence is referring to) is so much nicer than the one I can walk to from my apartment in Arlington, so I buy things there and then drive home. Occasionally I will stop off at the Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in Falls Church to cut my commute into two segments.

Going back to the article Normie posted, only one of my parents is a boomer (the other is just a year too old), but they keep talking about downsizing and moving into a condo in Arlington. They are sick of having a house and yard too big for their needs, and would actually like to walk places, as currently they have to drive on the Beltway to get pretty much anywhere. The only problem is finding a condo that will let them bring their 60 lb dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,067,443 times
Quote:
I know what you mean, I used to feel that way where I used to live. Just a thought: maybe you could find a grocery store located close to your office building and then you can hit it before you get into traffic.
That's an idea and sometimes I do that. Every now and then I'll walk to the Harris Teeter by the office during my lunch break and get a few things nothing major. I will say that on the rare occasion that I get dry cleaning done I'd do it near the office before taking it to the Oakton dry cleaners.

Now I'm trying an experiment where I leave the house at 6:30 versus 7:00. Sometimes I can do this and sometimes I can't, but I will say that the traffic is substantially better at 6:30 than 7:00 shaved 10 minutes off my commute.

Today I am actually going to stop at the Safeway on Nutley to pick up some shrimp just as a treat.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:58 AM

I thought it was a really interesting article but I'm not sure if it's reflective of everyone or even a majority of boomers. I don't think it would be reflective of my mom. She says she likes to visit the city but couldn't see herself living the city life particularly in regards to using public transportation and giving up her car. I've been telling my mom for years that she doesn't need a yard and should move into a townhouse but despite never going into the mosquito infested backyard she wants to have grass for grass's sake and I think a lot of people are still like that.

For me I'd say the same. I hate traffic with undying passion just like everyone else but not quite enough to get rid of the car. Maybe if I worked in the city near a metro station but since I don't there's just not enough incentive to give up my car particularly one that's already paid for.

At the same time I agree that more and more people want simpler lives. They don't want so much space and some see the car as a nuisance. I'm not in that boat but at the same time I am trying to shorten my commute. Although I will admit that it's hard to give up standards and amenities that I've grown accustomed to in the burbs (and in much cheaper Georgia) that just aren't available in closer-in condos and houses around here. So I don't know I want simpler but I'm not quite ready it seems and I think a lot of people are like that.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
This is what I do. The grocery store near my office in Oakton (the one Terrence is referring to) is so much nicer than the one I can walk to from my apartment in Arlington, so I buy things there and then drive home. Occasionally I will stop off at the Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in Falls Church to cut my commute into two segments.

Going back to the article Normie posted, only one of my parents is a boomer (the other is just a year too old), but they keep talking about downsizing and moving into a condo in Arlington. They are sick of having a house and yard too big for their needs, and would actually like to walk places, as currently they have to drive on the Beltway to get pretty much anywhere. The only problem is finding a condo that will let them bring their 60 lb dog!
Actually all the condos I've seen around Oakton seem to have plenty of people walking large dogs. So Oakton is an option but it's not close-in like Arlington and there would be no walking to places though. Maybe a townhouse instead of a single family house would do the trick.

Actually I noticed that sodas are 20 cents cheaper at the Giant in Fairfax. Of course 20 cents is not a big deal but it made me wonder what other things are more expensive at the Oakton Giant. But you know what? I still shop at the one in Oakton out of sheer convenience.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,318,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
I think that this is a small, but growing trend. It's also smart planning for the long-term, because when they get much older (80's+) and can no longer drive, their freedom isn't lost. They'll be able to walk downstairs or across the street and have instant access to a coffee shop/bookstore/restaurant.
Friends of mine just sold their 4 bedroom house in McLean over the summer, and they bought a condo in Arlington and a beachfront house in Rehoboth Beach, DE. During the work week they stay in their Arlington condo, and on weekends they spend their time at their house in Delaware. Their kids are grown and out of the house, so they thought this approach would be the right lifestyle for them.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:52 AM

257 posts, read 498,917 times
Quote:
You know, for all the griping we do about driving I actually drive less since moving to Nova. Of course, I'm lucky--I don't have to commute far for my job. And I telecommute most of the time anyway.

Even though I'm out in Herndon, I don't do that much driving. The grocery store is about a half mile--I do drive there but it's not like when I lived in Portland, Oregon and had to drive several miles to get groceries. In fact, most of the places I've lived involved driving to get groceries, even though I've lived in some pretty cool towns that brag about how walkable they are. Herndon's not considered "cool" but it's actually pretty convenient. Within a half mile of my house I have my church, a metro park-n-ride center, and most of the stores I regularly use. So I'm putting a lot less mileage on the car than I used to.
Me too. I've put 6000 miles on my car since I moved here in January. And that includes the drive from Cincinnati.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:34 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,047,371 times
This is a niche market. When we lived in McLean, I couldn't count the number of homes in our neighborhood occupied by retired couples, or widows/widowers, who had absolutely no interest in downsizing, giving up their outdoor living space, and turning in their car. They hung on until they just couldn't manage a house anymore, with a retirement community (or the grave) the next step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia