U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-08-2009, 06:58 PM
 
2,688 posts, read 5,963,718 times
Reputation: 1289

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Okay, point taken. That's doesn't change the fact that there is some seriously misleading advertising about Northern Virginia going on in this forum.
Not really. This is an open forum where people ask questions and other people respond from their own points of view. Logic will tell you that many of the people who enjoy spending time on a forum like this answering questions will be people who have put down some roots here and want to help others who are coming to do the same. Logic will also tell you that people who stay and put down roots in an area tend to be people who like the area. People who don't like an area tend to leave it. Nobody is misleadingly "advertising" anything just because they don't share your point of view. When you move to Kentucky, if you like it better than NoVA and decide to post positive things about it on the Kentucky forum, I'll respect your point of view even though the thought of moving to Kentucky wouldn't appeal to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,651 posts, read 33,457,399 times
Reputation: 32369
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't think that's a fact at all. IMO, what you consider to be "seriously misleading advertising" is just opinions from people who have had experiences that are different from yours.

I think most of the opinions you read on this forum are honest. Seriously, what would be the point of lying?

If anything I'd be tempted to lie about hating it, since I can see a possible benefit from not having more people move here. I can't see any personal benefit to me from having more people move here.

But I go ahead and tell people I love it here because what I say doesn't carry any weight anyway. Let's be real, people are going to move here no matter what I say. So I might as well tell the honest truth, which is I'm a fan of life in Nova. Like fans everywhere I like talking about things that I love. Which means I like talking about Nova.
My problem is that I know of a couple of posters who didnt like NoVA who have been villified and scared off this forum just for expressing their views. That is unfair to not have those posters posting in this forum so that anyone looking to relocate here can have a more balanced story instead of it's all good here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 25,832,670 times
Reputation: 18992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
My problem is that I know of a couple of posters who didnt like NoVA who have been villified and scared off this forum just for expressing their views. That is unfair to not have those posters posting in this forum so that anyone looking to relocate here can have a more balanced story instead of it's all good here.
This idea that having someone disagree with you means you're "not welcome" or you're "vilified" is ludicrous. First of all, only the moderator determines who is welcome. If a poster is truly not welcome, his posts would be deleted. If your posts are not deleted, then you are as welcome as anyone else. Nobody is preventing anyone from stating their opinions.

You say you want to give people a balanced story. Well, a truly balanced approach shows many different sides but also shows how many people agree with each side. It is much more helpful to present a few different opinions, and then see that 5% of the posters agree with one side and 95% agree with another side. If 95% don't agree with your side, it does not mean they are being misleading or that someone is being vilified. It means most people disagree with you.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, and to state that opinion. I'm sorry if some posters can't bear being disagreed with and let that scare them off a forum, but that's their fault.

ps... gotta sign off now, it's getting late. Just want to say that I totally support you in talking about your dislike for Nova. I may not agree with some of the things you say but I support your right to say them. Nova isn't for everyone. I wish you all the best in Louisville and hope you find what you're seeking.

Last edited by normie; 11-08-2009 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 AM
 
257 posts, read 499,669 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Oh, I so love the methodology... divide "number of unemployed people" by "number of Monster.com jobs." When I relocated here, I had had 8 interviews... and none of them were monster.com leads, tips, or referrals.

Also, there's a big difference in unemployment numbers for those with college degrees vs those without. It does surprise me to see San Jose, CA on that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 AM
 
257 posts, read 499,669 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I can't speak for others on this forum, but my main issue with your posts is not that you criticize Northern Virginia. There's a lot to criticize, and I think all but the craziest NoVA-backers on this forum would agree with that statement. I support many of your criticisms, including most of the transportation/infrastructure/planning ones, and it's good to realize that alongside all of the accolades this area gets, there are problems.
Me too... I happen to agree with most of the factual things that Scran posts, but his delivery needs a lot of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 AM
 
257 posts, read 499,669 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I left Pittsburgh, I go back to visit but I would NOT move back there. It's got it's good points but I've decided it's not for me. I think Scran needs to realize that he will not find Utopia no matter where he lives, he's young and doesn't listen to us seasoned folks (who actually warned him about Reston). Bottom line: you can talk until blue in the face but if someone isn't willing to listen, give it up. Eventually, everyone will realize that life includes compromises, life is not like a movie.
I'm 30, and I've never lived in a place that was so awesome I wouldn't leave. When Scran graduated college, he had two offers -- one back home, and one here. But apparently if he didn't leave PA then, he never would have. He says in his posts now that he moved here expecting not to like it... and voila, he doesn't like it. I see no misleading advertising there.

I think part of Scran's issues are financial -- he wrote a post on how much better things are going to be in Pittsburgh wrt his pocketbook. But his post was so totally biased and slanted that it's hilarious. First, his theoretical pay reduction is going to balance out his rent reduction. No savings there. Second, he thinks he's going to ditch his car altogether, and save a lot there. That plan will either come with unexpected costs (cars always seem to depreciate faster than the loan balance, so its resale value will leave him holding somewhat of a bag), such as bus/transit passes that he neglected to include. Also, you gotta figure there is a price to pay for the inconvenience of not having a car when you want/need it... like not being able to leave the city on anything but Amtrak or airplanes. No day trips back to DC unless he wants to rent a car.

But now he's bound and determined to leave here for Pittsburgh, and no amount of "make sure you know what you're getting into" is going to stop him or clear the rose colors from his glasses. For instance, (again) he plans to dump his car when he moves to the 'burgh... yet he eschews taking the bus to work here because it's inconvenient. How can he be reasonably certain that he will find housing and jobs that are both not unreasonablly transit accessible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 09:34 AM
 
257 posts, read 499,669 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Okay, point taken. That's doesn't change the fact that there is some seriously misleading advertising about Northern Virginia going on in this forum.
No... there's no misleading advertising that I can see. Some people post, "I'm moving to DC for a job. What do you think about..." they're going to come no matter what. We may as well help them see the positives sides of this area.

HOWEVER, (and it's a big "however") those that ask if they "should" move to DC (either for a job that they're considering, or to move and look for a job) get a whole host of "the traffic sucks and housing is expensive." It matters what's important to the poster -- if they're young and want a huge house, it's likely that NoVA/DC won't be for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 10:12 AM
 
5,334 posts, read 6,144,730 times
Reputation: 2640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Okay, point taken. That's doesn't change the fact that there is some seriously misleading advertising about Northern Virginia going on in this forum.
I disagree. The only "advertising" is people saying they like it here and why - and that's not misleading just because your experience here hasn't been positive.

The first thing I typically see here in response to posts of "I'm moving to DC/NOVA" is a chorus of "first thing - housing is incredibly expensive and traffic is terrible". This is from people who like it here (for the other reasons, naturally). There is frequent mention of how families typically have to live farther out to get housing comparable to what they're used to in other parts of the country, but the caveat being a long commute. I see a lot of honesty about these drawbacks from the so-called "false advertisers".

I also don't see many posts like "oh the people are so friendly and welcoming here, you'll make tons of friends in no time."

What they tend to pump up is: cultural and entertainment variety, meeting/interacting with people from around the world, good job market, career possibilities, four distinct seasons, nature not too far away, etc.

What I have noticed from some of the detractors, however, is a pattern like this:

(unhappy person) "I've recently moved here. I don't see what's so great about the area. Everything sucks. People are egotistical jerks and only talk about money or politics."

(a dissenting reply): "I've had a different experience. I like it here. Here are some of the positives...(examples). I've met different types of people with different interests and my experience doesn't fit your narrow definitions of "everybody here is (some negative quality)". Here are some tips (about affording a home, commuting, entertainment, etc)"

(unhappy person rejects this) "What, are you blind? This area sucks! The people are miserable! All other places are better! At least in (other city) you have (some quality they miss in DC). At least in (other city) people are (some quality they perceive lacking in DC). You are wrong to say positive things about DC and it's my duty to enlighten all of you about your wrong-headed views!"

If anything, from the "boosters" I see more evidence of accepting the dissenter's viewpoint for that dissenter, as in "ok, you don't like it here, perhaps a different place would be a better fit for you." But they won't agree that a bad experience for some equates to a bad experience for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 AM
 
2,688 posts, read 5,963,718 times
Reputation: 1289
Robbobobbo, you captured it perfectly! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Sterling, VA
1,059 posts, read 2,629,217 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Robbobobbo, you captured it perfectly! Thank you.
I agree. Succinct and to the point without getting into personalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top