U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:58 PM

206 posts, read 400,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
In the case of my agency in particular morale is rock bottom, and the same can be said for my uncle's agency. On most Sunday nights I'll nearly be crying and have chest pains, fearful of going into the office on Monday morning and facing a supervisor who was thrust into her position, doesn't want to be in a managerial role, and deflects her lack of patience and lack of affinity for her position onto her subordinates by cutting them down.
I once went to a doctor because I had a prolonged period of feeling down and I wasn't sure if I was depressed. The first thing he asked me was if I was happy at work. At the time I was not. He prescribed no medicine and didn't refer me to a psychiatrist - he said simply that my work was affecting the rest of my life. And he was right. I changed positions to something I wanted to do and have been fine since. You spend too much time at work to suffer beneath someone on a power trip or doing something you don't love. For all your talk of hating this area, maybe your problem is just your job. Look into a new position or new company in the area and you may find you have a new outlook on life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 07:27 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,146,997 times
It's interesting reading how people are judged. I've worked in many jobs, retail WHILE in high school, then in offices (business, a forklift company, etc) while in PA - moved here, worked in a computer office, several defense contractors, etc. - health issues arose: I did whatever jobs I could. Currently retail "kind of" in that I go to many companies to make sure products are out.....

BUT! point I'm going to make is: I took wood shop, mechanical drawing and welding in high school. I can as easily talk to someone about home repairs as what the "hot" fashion items are.

Maybe don't judge people by the job the do. Judge people by what kind of people they are - MANY people hold many interests and although they might be "white collar" they might live life "blue collar".

I'll be so glad when those terms disappear.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:12 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,566,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I think some parts of the federal government probably have more of the union mentality and are there to just punch the clock, but I don't know that it's close to the majority.
I only have limited government experience, but I think I've found that to be most prevalent in the administrative and support staff rather than professional staff. I'm not sure why, and I have noticed a difference between the older employees and younger ones. That said, most of the people I've worked with enjoy their jobs and work pretty hard. I may not have to pull down 70 hours a week, but I also get paid a lot less than if I worked at a consulting firm in a similar position, so for me the better work-life balance is a valid trade-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
In the case of my agency in particular morale is rock bottom, ....
Apply for a new job. Don't go "oh in six years..." or "when I reach this level...", it's not worth it. Regardless of where you work, if it's causing you that much heartache then it's time to move on. You're an accountant for chrissakes, it's not like you can't work other places than DCAA (which, by the way, tends to rank among the lowest in terms of employee satisfaction). Take your paycheck while you're getting it, but start setting your sights elsewhere.

Regarding government service, there are pretty big differences among agencies in terms of culture, work ethic, morale, and attitude. I found these rankings to be interesting. I don't know exactly how accurate they are, but I've been very happy with my federal experience, and both agencies I've worked for rank highly, so maybe there's something to it: Best Places to Work > Rankings - Partnership for Public Service

Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,569 times
All DC is is a bunch of people who think they do more important work than you and try to one up you..personnally I care more about the dog**** on the ground than what these people do or this city. Being from Detroit, I prefer friendliness over a stuck up population...historic abandoned buildings to explore over these low rise corporate modern buildings..and a low police presence over an oppressive traffic cop on every corner. DC is more of a giant suburb trying too hard to look like Paris..real cities have skyscrapers!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,826,108 times
^ Sounds like a post that belongs in the DC forum, not here.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:39 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,859,685 times
I like 5% unemployment rates.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:55 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,752,237 times
I wonder if the original OP (back in 2009) is even here anymore, or did he/she move away.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 AM

2,672 posts, read 6,236,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaddy420 View Post
All DC is is a bunch of people who think they do more important work than you and try to one up you..personnally I care more about the dog**** on the ground than what these people do or this city. Being from Detroit, I prefer friendliness over a stuck up population...historic abandoned buildings to explore over these low rise corporate modern buildings..and a low police presence over an oppressive traffic cop on every corner. DC is more of a giant suburb trying too hard to look like Paris..real cities have skyscrapers!
Yes and Detroit should be what this area should strive to be...

There is a reason Detroit has lost 25% of its population. Detroit loses a staggering 25% of its population in a decade - CNN

Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 AM

3,504 posts, read 7,916,981 times
Speaking of Detroit - I just read that companies are outsourceing work to Michigan because people will work cheap there.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,543,937 times
I'm reminded of this scene from "Kentucky Fried Movie"---Take him to Detroit!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia