U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:54 PM

1,195 posts, read 2,514,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
How would it be better anywhere else? This is one of the very few places that families are moving to in droves. In most other cities teachers are being laid off--here we need to hire them. Prince William County had to hire a bunch of teachers this year because there were more than a thousand new students who moved there over the summer. You're not going to find more opportunity than that anywhere in this country.
And how about DC (charter and Public), Prince George's County, Montgomery and Baltimore City will all give him a shot without a teaching certification as a provisional teacher for at least 3 years. Even if he just substituted for a while, if i'm not mistaken, is around 100.00 a day (maybe more with a MA), depending on the jurisdiction

I think ole boy is stuck on feeling sorry for himself, if he doesn't understand that this mentality will drag him down, regardless of his location, he is in for an expensive lesson when he gets to Florida, NY or where ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 02:04 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times
It's true that it's hard for teachers to find a job anywhere these days, normie's PWC anecdote notwithstanding. But in more golden times, NOVA school districts were often begging for teachers to handle the steady influx of kids. And this area is likely to recover sooner than others, so sticking it out may be worth it for some aspriing teachers.

There can be a fine line between socializing and networking. It never hurts to get out of the cubicle on occasion, stretch one's legs and get to know some people who may become good acquaintances and contacts in the future.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Hey Tone, forgive me for going off topic for a second but I've always wondered why my name shows up in bold whenever you type it. Is that something that happens automatically whenever you type one of our names? Is it something only I can see?

Anyway, I was just curious. OK, now that I've asked... back to the topic!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:21 PM

168 posts, read 380,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Well if you think it's tough here where the unemployment rate is lower than the rest of the nation, good luck in other cities. I truly mean that. I'd never stay in a place that makes me as unhappy as you seem to be.

There are tons of high paying jobs in this area. Hell I don't even have an Associate Degree and I'm one of those "Over $75k" crowd you seem to hate. I also do BS with my coworkers because it's always good to have a good working relationship. We go to happy hour every once in a while and we all go to lunch at least once a week.
I never said the employment rate is any better anywhere else. The weather, cost of living, and other things I like would be better. At least in other areas I could live somewhere by myself, or at least live with people that I care to live with as opposed to some 30 something divorced father that my landlord moved in because he was the first guy with cash up front (who has a two year old daughter that visits every other week, and makes a mess out of the living room and kitchen). He also hasn't moved his boxes out of the dining room yet, and has lived here for four months, but if a dish sits in the sink for 20 minutes he throws it in the trash.

Congratulations on having a great job. Hopefully you treat people with respect that don't have that opportunity unlike a lot of other people here.

On the subject of talking to coworkers, I also do this. However, the other guy posted about talking to the people that come into the bar I work at on my second job. Well, these people tend to have already had more than a few, like to throw their money around, but yet will do anything to get something for nothing. Fact is, I don't want to be their friend, and they don't want to be mine. They just want to make an irrelevant comment, usually calling me "big guy" or "bro", and see if they can get something for free. The only people I have genuinely liked out of anyone that comes in are the regulars that are in the same situation as me. Most of them work multiple jobs and don't have a pot to **** in. Maybe that is why we get along, maybe not, but all I know is they aren't trying to scam me. As far as going out with people I work with, 1) I don't have the time, 2) While I have some money, it is to be saved so I can get out of here. Going out drinking is like flushing it down the toilet. My partying days ended (save for special occasions) when college did.

Quote:
How would it be better anywhere else? This is one of the very few places that families are moving to in droves. And while there are some local districts laying teachers off (especially in DC), other local districts need to hire them. That's a lot better than what's happening in other cities. Prince William County had to hire a bunch of teachers this year because there were more than a thousand new students who moved there over the summer. You're not going to find more opportunity than that anywhere in this country.
Again, didn't say it would be better, but at least I would be moving to an area I would rather be in than just moving somewhere because that is where work is. Honestly, at this point I could truly care less what I do for a living, as long as I like where I live, have good friends, etc. One thing I noticed about so called "professional" jobs is a lot more goes into you getting that job and advancing than your performance. My aunt, who has been a teacher for years, told me you'd better know someone in the districts and counties you applied or hope they went to the same college as you, or have some connection to you or you most likely won't get a second look. I know with what I do in college athletics, it is the same way. My sister does non profit work and even she will tell you the only reason she got the job she has now is the hiring manager went to the same college as her. But when I was a laborer, all they cared about was the work getting done, and done correctly. I started out on my landscaping job as just a grunt worker swinging a shovel, but since I worked harder than anyone else on the crew the bosses took notice. I paid attention to detail and got things done fast and correctly. Shortly after that, I was given a company truck and was starting to have my own crew of workers. I also kept getting pay raises, and also started getting a lot less laborious duty (I did a lot more driving, material pick up, and transportation as well as design). Nobody cared where I went to college, or who I knew, or who my dad was. All I know how to do is work. I've worked for everything I've gotten. The whole system of higher education and so called professionals is backwards from how things should really be, and it is a large part of why I am considering going back into labor work. I'd love to go into teaching and coaching at the high school level because I'd love to help kids get into college on scholarship, especially in Florida where the area is all about football unlike here, but I really don't like the way the school systems are run (this pertains to Florida, Jersey, here, and just about everywhere else) and I think I would rather make an honest living.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:29 PM

2,282 posts, read 5,571,446 times
I've lived in 6 states. over 10 cities. I lived in a Kansas town >20,000, for 5 years. I lived in Chicago (city, not Chicagoland) for almost 20 years. I've lived in New England and in SoCal. I've done this as a child, a young working adult and a married SAHM.

Unlike most people on C-D, I have a good perspective of living all over the US.

I don't hate DC. I don't love it either. I'd rank it in the middle of all the places I have lived. If someone asked my "How do you like DC?" I'd answer, "Fine"

Many (IMHO insular) people on this board immediately respond, somewhat defensively, if a newbie is unhappy, it must be them. Thats not true, entirely. I would rathar have my friends and family back in SoCal than my friends and acquaintances in DC (or anywhere else I have lived for that matter). I just prefer it there, and those reasons cannot be duplicated in DC or any other place. Period.

To the OP, in my vast experience, it takes 2 years to get settled and homey in a new location. It is your responsibility to try to find friends in all different venues, and keep searching for them.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
I never said the employment rate is any better anywhere else. The weather, cost of living, and other things I like would be better.
Quote:
Honestly, at this point I could truly care less what I do for a living, as long as I like where I live, have good friends, etc.
Quote:
I really don't like the way the school systems are run (this pertains to Florida, Jersey, here, and just about everywhere else) and I think I would rather make an honest living.
After reading the above, I had a brainstorm. It's a little out of the box... but consider El Paso, Texas! It's a nice town that has a lot going for it.

If you want a place where you can live on your savings while you look for work, forget Florida or NYC. El Paso's a place where your money would stretch a long way. The weather is pretty nice (IMO), especially the winters. If you want to be a laborer that's something to consider. A laborer in NYC has a hard time in the winter. El Paso has milder winters, much easier for becoming a laborer. And a person with an education degree could find honest work with the border patrol.

I'm sure you will find plenty of people who live in El Paso who aren't materialistic. And as for political talk--they might talk a lot about immigration, but probably not that much about other political issues. Think about it. It just might be your little slice of paradise.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,545 times
Yes, definitely, you should go back into "honest" labor if that would make you happy. Why don't you head over to the Springfield Garden Apartments or Little River Turnpike and stand around with the day laborers, they'll tell you all about the booming and successful business they're doing these days and how well-off they are financially.

Actually, I do understand you being discouraged about the fact that you can't find a job in the field and location you'd like to be in. However, and this is not meant to be patronizing, be grateful that you do have a job. Many, many people don't these days. So keep applying for what you ultimately want, but in the meantime, make the most of your current situation by appreciating the good things in the area and establishing good relationships (including socially to some degree) with your colleagues, both for the rewards of friendship and for the recommendations you might want them to give you down the line.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:54 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times
Quote:
Hey Tone, forgive me for going off topic for a second but I've always wondered why my name shows up in bold whenever you type it. Is that something that happens automatically whenever you type one of our names? Is it something only I can see?

Anyway, I was just curious. OK, now that I've asked... back to the topic!
Because you make a bold statement?

LOL Actually I tend to do that to everyone, usually to give credit to a point someone else has made.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:14 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,199,392 times
Yes! Thank you! I'm no longer the one everyone hates!

Old 10-28-2009, 03:19 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,545 times
Yes, I was thinking Scran-Barre and d-fens should room together, you could commiserate on all sorts of things !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia