Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
It takes awhile getting used to DC. It's a tough city.
Good point--why not move across the river to northern Virginia? Not as expensive as DC and not as tough. Some of the closer in suburbs have a reasonable commute into DC.

But if you want a real estate bargain, it's hard to beat Florida right now. Lots of foreclosures down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 AM

48 posts, read 92,026 times
I Moved to Nova to be with my Husband and I am one of the people who hate it here too. I came from Chesapeake Beach MD which is kind of a small town but has its shopping centers and a mall 45 min away. Nova just isnt the same. The people are different but I found this web site:
Meetup.com

There are groups of people who genuinly want friendships and go to dinner together and go to events together. I have met some great people going to the meet ups. Try it. If you have more genuine friends in an area you will feel more comfortable.

As for the prices Nova is extremly expensive. Keep trying to get a better job and mabey try to find another place to live with some other roomates that you may like better.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 AM

168 posts, read 424,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Stop feeling sorry for yourself, and get about your hustle and make some things happen. There is more oppurtunity here to become one of those "wealthy young professionals" you claim to dislike, but really admire than in Tampa, trust me on that
Alright, I wasn't even going to bother responding to this post but it really irritated me. This is the exact attitude that I dislike (and that is putting it nicely, I truly despise them) from the "wealthy young professionals". They all think everyone wants to be them. I for the record, don't. I don't want to have to have the newest this and that for people to accept me. I don't want to turn my nose up to everyone that is supposed to be "below" me. Since I make poor money (with a Master degree, I might add) on my job, I have to work anywhere from 2-4 nights a week at a bar, until 2 am, and then go back to my other job usually at 6 am, just to have some money to save. Of course these so called "professionals" are the people that come in, treat you like a second or third class citizen, and look down upon you because you don't have the same status as them (which most of them didn't truly work for in my opinion). People can say what they want about people in North Jersey and New York being ignorant, but I've never encountered this type of treatment. At least up there I knew where my circles were. But even they seem to be very selective of who they hang out with in the DC Metro.

You say that there isn't opportunity in Florida. That's fine with me. For the money I rent one bedroom of a house for I could rent a two bedroom condo, house, high end apartment, etc. in Florida.

And to the person that said something about if that is why I hate it wanting to really see me struggle, I'll say walk a block in my shoes (not even a mile) through my past and present and tell me how you feel.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:05 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
Alright, I wasn't even going to bother responding to this post but it really irritated me. This is the exact attitude that I dislike (and that is putting it nicely, I truly despise them) from the "wealthy young professionals". They all think everyone wants to be them. I for the record, don't. I don't want to have to have the newest this and that for people to accept me. I don't want to turn my nose up to everyone that is supposed to be "below" me. Since I make poor money (with a Master degree, I might add) on my job, I have to work anywhere from 2-4 nights a week at a bar, until 2 am, and then go back to my other job usually at 6 am, just to have some money to save. Of course these so called "professionals" are the people that come in, treat you like a second or third class citizen, and look down upon you because you don't have the same status as them (which most of them didn't truly work for in my opinion). People can say what they want about people in North Jersey and New York being ignorant, but I've never encountered this type of treatment. At least up there I knew where my circles were. But even they seem to be very selective of who they hang out with in the DC Metro.

You say that there isn't opportunity in Florida. That's fine with me. For the money I rent one bedroom or a house for I could rent a two bedroom condo, house, high end apartment, etc. in Florida.

And to the person that said something about if that is why I hate it wanting to really see me struggle, I'll say walk a block in my shoes (not even a mile) through my past and present and tell me how you feel.
Wait a minute dude, your the one on here complaining about money this, money that, so obviously money is a major issue to you (just like with most of the population). Maybe you should try believing in yourself and whatever your talent is, you are putting the jokers who come into your bar for martinis on a higher pedestal, than they deserve. Sure I bet they act like royal ****, but that is not what your upset about, your upset that they have more than you, care free, pompous and obnoxious, while you are breaking your back serving them Sam Adams. How is that there fault (not defending their attitudes, just saying)

What are they doing that you seem to think you can't? I never said there was no oppurtunity in Florida, just that there is more here, and it's very attainable if you drop the pitty party "poor me" attitude and go get some of the action for yourself.

Every body I know with a Master Degree is doing pretty good, much better than the rest of the "un-educated" population cleaning up toilets with their 4th grade educations. Stop complaining, get up and go take what you want, and be grateful for what you do have

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-28-2009 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: nice attempt at self-editing but still too explicit

Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
What are they doing that you seem to think you can't? I never said there was no oppurtunity in Florida, just that there is more here, and it's very attainable if you drop the pitty party "poor me" attitude and go get some of the action for yourself.
I totally agree. Just an observation, but IMO most people who complain about a city and then go on to complain about "how other people have it so good" are indeed on a pity party. Whenever they move to a new place, it isn't long before they start griping about how life sucks there too. Not saying the OP would do this, just something I've seen a lot of other people do.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:16 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
I will say that yeah if there's something wrong with your situation then look at what you can do to change it. Maybe you should move to another group house? Maybe you should move further out to have your own place. As much as I'd like to find a place in Arlington closer to work and all I will say that folks in the outer burbs tend to be more real and down to earth than city folk. But yeah look at what you can do to change things.

I kinda like the fact that people care about politics and what's happening in the news here. Only city I've ever witnessed guys drunk out of their mind having political debates in a bar.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 AM

168 posts, read 424,774 times
Quote:
Wait a minute dude, your the one on here complaining about money this, money that, so obviously money is a major issue to you (just like with most of the population). Maybe you should try believing in yourself and whatever your talent is, you are putting the jokers who come into your bar for martinis on a higher pedestal, than they deserve. Sure I bet they act like royal D!cks, but that is not what your upset about, your upset that they have more than you, care free, pompous and obnoxious, while you are breaking your back serving them Sam Adams. How is that there fault (not defending their attitudes, just saying)

Every body I know with a Master Degree is doing pretty good, much better than the rest of the "un-educated" population cleaning up toilets with their 4th grade educations. Stop complaining, get up and go take what you want, and be grateful for what you do have
No, I don't like how they treat people. I treat people with respect, whether it is the doctor that saved my life or the girl at the grocery store that bagged my groceries. This would not change even if I had infinite wealth.

The only opportunities I have in this area, seeing as my degrees are in education, have passed. I don't see myself getting some suit and tie business job, or anything with the government, and I don't know anyone in the area to "big brother" me in to a position.

As for "getting up and taking what I want", I've been trying to do this for the past 6 months (actually longer). I have been trying to get out of this area. I hate high costs of living and cold weather (only exception is NY/NJ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I will say that yeah if there's something wrong with your situation then look at what you can do to change it. Maybe you should move to another group house? Maybe you should move further out to have your own place. As much as I'd like to find a place in Arlington closer to work and all I will say that folks in the outer burbs tend to be more real and down to earth than city folk. But yeah look at what you can do to change things.

I kinda like the fact that people care about politics and what's happening in the news here. Only city I've ever witnessed guys drunk out of their mind having political debates in a bar.
At this point I don't know if I care to live in a group house without knowing the people before hand, and even then some people can be complete jerks* to live with. Of course renting a place by myself is out of the question. On top of all that I don't care to get locked into any lease for even a short term (6 months would be WAY too long) if I'm trying to leave.

And the "drunk out of their mind in political debate" part sums up part of the reason I want to leave.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-28-2009 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: *Watch the language...

Old 10-28-2009, 11:39 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Well, doing some basic homework before moving here would have told you that the cost of living would be high (but maybe you were too busy partying to find that out?). And frankly you seem to have as much or more of a snobbish, judgmental, stereotyping attitude toward people as you're attributing to others. But in any case, if you would be happier elsewhere, than go for it! You don't have anything to tie you here. You're young so why waste more time in a place you hate? Get online and start exploring the prospects in one of those other places you said you'd rather be.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post

The only opportunities I have in this area, seeing as my degrees are in education, have passed. I don't see myself getting some suit and tie business job, or anything with the government, and I don't know anyone in the area to "big brother" me in to a position.
Perhaps if you spent more time at work, actually talking to these "young wealthy professionals" (who you claim to despise and not envy), networking, getting to know (without your overly judgmental attitude), I bet someone would be willing to "Big Brother" you into the type of GS-14 gig (that you are making pretend that you really don't want..right), but that endearment is usually reserved for the ambitious, and not a consumate whiner (no offense). And what's up anyway with needing someone to "get your feet in the door", have the confidence to get it done yourself.

And oppurtunities in education have passed? Did you commit a felony or are you not supposed to be around children since you got up here? I mean, come on dude.

But alas, enjoy Florida, beautiful weather, beautiful beaches and hopefully it will be enough to jumpstart and motivate you to "take what you want"

Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 PM

476 posts, read 1,296,768 times
I've lived in the DC area all my life, and I love hearing people's impressions of this area because, being an insider, I just live it but really don't see the comparisons to other places. This post actually made me laugh because it's kinda true! But I say - so what?! Don't take this all so seriously. People are just people, and if they are materialistic, they just haven't learned that lesson in life, and you don't have to hang out with them. This is a big city and you can find just about any type of person to hang out with. The job situation and the cost of living - well yes, that is tough. I have lived it, and my advice is - if you aren't happy with your salary, get motivated and look for a better paying job. This area has a lot to offer but you might be willing to explore elsewhere where the cost of living isn't so high. Don't sit on your tail and complain forever - everyone is entitled to a vent - but if you don't like it, change it and the opportunities are there. If you do nothing to change it, than who's fault is that? A city isn't going to change it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia