Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:11 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
No, I don't like how they treat people. I treat people with respect, whether it is the doctor that saved my life or the girl at the grocery store that bagged my groceries. This would not change even if I had infinite wealth.

The only opportunities I have in this area, seeing as my degrees are in education, have passed. I don't see myself getting some suit and tie business job, or anything with the government, and I don't know anyone in the area to "big brother" me in to a position.

As for "getting up and taking what I want", I've been trying to do this for the past 6 months (actually longer). I have been trying to get out of this area. I hate high costs of living and cold weather (only exception is NY/NJ).

At this point I don't know if I care to live in a group house without knowing the people before hand, and even then some people can be complete jerkoffs to live with. Of course renting a place by myself is out of the question. On top of all that I don't care to get locked into any lease for even a short term (6 months would be WAY too long) if I'm trying to leave.

And the "drunk out of their mind in political debate" part sums up part of the reason I want to leave.
Oh. Well if you don't want to live with strangers in a group house but can't afford your own place then you definitely have a problem.

Again look at solutions. Maybe it's time to network. Some people have put up craigslist ads where they hunt for a place together. During the househunting process you'd be getting to know your future housemates and could back out before signing a lease. Frankly sounds like a lot of trouble but it's an option.

Also lighten up you gotta have a sense of humor about things. I think drunk folks having political debates about the future of the country is funny and actually it's the kind of semi-oxymoron that makes living in this area great but I guess you don't see the humor.

Honestly, you gotta find a way to make it work or just get a month to month lease elsewhere and start job hunting in Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 12:21 PM

4,435 posts, read 8,122,653 times
My coworker came from Tampa and he agrees the weather is nice and the COL is low, but there aren't many high paying jobs like there are here. If you want to move there, have fun though.

I like this area because the opportunities and diversity are great. Where else can an immigrant from a 3rd world country like me successfully live the American dream.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM

168 posts, read 424,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Perhaps if you spent more time at work, actually talking to these "young wealthy professionals" (who you claim to despise and not envy), networking, getting to know (without your overly judgmental attitude), I bet someone would be willing to "Big Brother" you into the type of GS-14 gig (that you are making pretend that you really don't want..right), but that endearment is usually reserved for the ambitious, and not a consumate whiner (no offense). And what's up anyway with needing someone to "get your feet in the door", have the confidence to get it done yourself.

And oppurtunities in education have passed? Did you commit a felony or are you not supposed to be around children since you got up here? I mean, come on dude.

But alas, enjoy Florida, beautiful weather, beautiful beaches and hopefully it will be enough to jumpstart and motivate you to "take what you want"
I find it funny you question my motivation. I have sent out at the very least 5 resumes and cover letters not to mention all of the things I apply to online every day. I sent letters to every school in Hillsborough, Pinellas, Miami-Dade, and Broward county FL with no response. I have sent them to every business that may possibly employ someone with my skill set. In the area, I have attempted to get positions as well, but then again I have no interest in staying here, still having to live in a group home, and freezing 6-9 months out of the year. I also would need to pay at least $200 for each certification (I'm guessing that must be mere pocket change to you or something, but to me it might mean that I can't actually save any money, fix my car if it breaks down, and $400 is about 8 weeks of groceries to me, so yes that is a lot of money.) that I would need to even be considered to work in a public school in the area. So yes, the opportunities have passed since all of the jobs have become filled by this point.

As far as talking to people at work, that sounds great in theory. However, I actually tend to focus on doing my job as opposed to socializing with people that probably won't remember talking to me the night before, or actually follow through with anything they ever say they are going to do to help someone out. The people that I have found to be for real are the ones that wouldn't be able to get me into a "gig" as you eloquently put it.

And I never said I didn't want a better job. I merely stated that even if I had billions upon billions of dollars that I wouldn't treat people as they were below me for not having as much. But I guess that may come from not having much which maybe some people don't understand.

On another note, it is also funny that everyone on this board only picked up on Tampa even though I mentioned all of South Florida and NYC/NJ as well. I also find it funny that someone mentioned the whole "high paying jobs" thing when the only jobs I can get in the area are barely paying $30000. When you add up all the hours (usually work no less than 12 a day) it is the equivalent of making right around $10/hour, and I made more doing landscape labor work about 5 years ago with no degrees, which makes me sometimes regret even wasting time in college.

Last edited by d-fens; 10-28-2009 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM

608 posts, read 1,707,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
It takes awhile getting used to DC. It's a tough city. I hated it too when I first moved down from NJ (Central/South Jersey). Yes, things are costly and the people can be pretentious, hyper, and cold. But once you make friends, get to know the area, and enjoy some activities, things will get better.

The one great thing about jobs it that there are many opportunities in DC, especially if you have an interdisciplinary background.
Good post.

My experience has been similar and I came from the South.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:38 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Honestly, if you come across as bitter in person as you do here, no wonder you're having trouble. And you've given up on an entire career (teaching) just because you don't want to spend $200 on a certification? It would be a wise investment. But again, don't spend it here since you clearly don't want to stay.

Complaining that people talk about politics in the nation's capital? That's like moving to NYC and complaining that people talk about the Yankees or moving to rural Kansas and complaining that people talk about crops and the weather.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:52 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomkris View Post
If you do nothing to change it, than who's fault is that? A city isn't going to change it for you.
Nicely said. Too many people blame a city for problems that are of their own making. Then they idealize some other city and start talking about moving there as the solution to all their problems. After they make the move, they realize the new city isn't idyllic, either, and to make it worse they have even less money because they spent their savings moving to the new town.

Most cities aren't that different from each other; even the hippest towns have houses with vinyl siding. Every town has materialistic people and people who are not at all materialistic, so why let that be a reason for moving? Try to avoid the trap of thinking everyone acts a certain way.

One thing about Nova, we are a diverse population with a million different attitudes. If someone rubs you the wrong way, it's not hard to find other people who are completely different.

OTOH, if you truly think you'll be happier in NYC or Florida, I wish you all the best and hope it works out for you.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:52 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Hmm... the main things I dislike about D.C. metro are the insane population density (I'm fondest of areas west of the Mississippi River, really) and some infrasturctural problems (as well as a weird lack of retail distributed across the suburban areas, which is probably related to the latter issue). Oh, and that even many "upscale" areas have a sort of dirty, seedy look about them. And, finally, the lack of the sort of fun irreverence you'll find in newer retail concepts that spring up out of the West and Midwest.

The most enjoyable thing about living in D.C. is playing 'explorer,' if you will - discovering weird little neighborhoods (even if they're only four storefronts long) with curious histories, scoping out the many, many gorgeous natural settings both in the city and just outside of it, etc. As my roommate says, D.C. is an "insiders'" city. Outside of the National Mall, the city doesn't really put its gems right out there in your face, the way a lot of other major U.S. cities might (especially those in a generally westerly direction). In fact, sometimes the attitude almost seems to be a *desire* to keep the pretty things "under the table," so to speak. "See the weeds? See the broken glass? Yup, it's all like that. No need to come any closer. No need to discover my family's uber-exclusive HOA. Oops."

I'd love to travel more extensively in the Mid-Atlantic. The only place I've really seen in this region (besides the D.C. area.. heh) is the DelMarVA Peninsula, which, outside of the purely natural stuff, was quite disappointing. (It was my first bitter taste of the Mid-Atlantic, and our trip there remains a family in-joke to this day.) There are definitely spots in NJ and NY state that I would love to check out, though.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 10-28-2009 at 01:02 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
In fact, sometimes the attitude almost seems to be a *desire* to keep the pretty things "under the table," so to speak. "See the weeds? See the broken glass? Yup, it's all like that. No need to come any closer. No need to discover my family's uber-exclusive HOA. Oops."
Hahahah--sometimes I'm guilty of that! As much as I like to help newcomers I keep my most favorite places secret. Too many new people moving in, and too many people who mean well but who want to "improve" the things I love. So I keep the best things to myself. After you've been here a few years you'll find them on your own, anyway. Or if I see you're a kindred spirit, I'll share a few.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:21 PM

4,435 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Well if you think it's tough here where the unemployment rate is lower than the rest of the nation, good luck in other cities. I truly mean that. I'd never stay in a place that makes me as unhappy as you seem to be.

There are tons of high paying jobs in this area. Hell I don't even have an Associate Degree and I'm one of those "Over $75k" crowd you seem to hate. I also do BS with my coworkers because it's always good to have a good working relationship. We go to happy hour every once in a while and we all go to lunch at least once a week.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
The only opportunities I have in this area, seeing as my degrees are in education, have passed.
How would it be better anywhere else? This is one of the very few places that families are moving to in droves. And while there are some local districts laying teachers off (especially in DC), other local districts need to hire them. That's a lot better than what's happening in other cities. Prince William County had to hire a bunch of teachers this year because there were more than a thousand new students who moved there over the summer. You're not going to find more opportunity than that anywhere in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia