U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 AM
 
168 posts, read 380,526 times
Reputation: 79

Advertisements

Let me give you some background on myself. I moved to Northern Virginia from Newark, NJ to take a job that is in DC last November. I was familiar with the area since my sister has lived here for about 7 years. When I would come down to visit, I generally liked the area (but then again this was during college and all we were coming down to do was hang out and party, see friends, etc.) At first when moving here, I did like some things such as my car insurance being cheaper, but other than that I've found it to be even more expensive here than North Jersey. My job doesn't pay very well, and while I am in the process of possibly getting another one (that only pays slightly more), I am wondering if I should even bother or just move to an area I want to be and figure things out once I get there. I want to live either in Florida (South Florida or Tampa) or back in North Jersey or NYC. Honestly, everyone in the DC area is some political nutcase that tries to push their agendas on you while reading The Economist and sipping wine they don't even like, but say they do because it fits their image. Other people my age here are in that "wealthy young professional" bracket and have no interest in anyone that doesn't make 75 grand or more a year. Everyone I'm friends with has two or even three jobs just to rent a bedroom of a house in questionable neighborhoods. On top of all that, I can't stand the guy that moved into the basement of my house (my landlord controls who moves in, not me.) Even if I get the new job, I probably won't be able to afford my own place, which I had in NJ. So much for this area being cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:20 AM
 
1,196 posts, read 2,522,015 times
Reputation: 790
Stop feeling sorry for yourself, and get about your hustle and make some things happen. There is more oppurtunity here to become one of those "wealthy young professionals" you claim to dislike, but really admire than in Tampa, trust me on that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, VA
722 posts, read 1,755,814 times
Reputation: 316
Sure, lots of people hate it here. I'm not one of them, but every place has lots of people who hate it.

If you're looking for a low/lower COL, this is not the place to be at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:34 AM
 
204 posts, read 334,267 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
Let me give you some background on myself. I moved to Northern Virginia from Newark, NJ to take a job that is in DC last November. I was familiar with the area since my sister has lived here for about 7 years. When I would come down to visit, I generally liked the area (but then again this was during college and all we were coming down to do was hang out and party, see friends, etc.) At first when moving here, I did like some things such as my car insurance being cheaper, but other than that I've found it to be even more expensive here than North Jersey. My job doesn't pay very well, and while I am in the process of possibly getting another one (that only pays slightly more), I am wondering if I should even bother or just move to an area I want to be and figure things out once I get there. I want to live either in Florida (South Florida or Tampa) or back in North Jersey or NYC. Honestly, everyone in the DC area is some political nutcase that tries to push their agendas on you while reading The Economist and sipping wine they don't even like, but say they do because it fits their image. Other people my age here are in that "wealthy young professional" bracket and have no interest in anyone that doesn't make 75 grand or more a year. Everyone I'm friends with has two or even three jobs just to rent a bedroom of a house in questionable neighborhoods. On top of all that, I can't stand the guy that moved into the basement of my house (my landlord controls who moves in, not me.) Even if I get the new job, I probably won't be able to afford my own place, which I had in NJ. So much for this area being cheaper.
Wow, those are the reasons you hate it there? I hope you never have to live somewhere that really sucks.


Edit:
"On top of all that, I can't stand the guy that moved into the basement of my house (my landlord controls who moves in, not me.) Even if I get the new job, I probably won't be able to afford my own place, which I had in NJ. So much for this area being cheaper"

I guess that really would suck. I wouldn't like that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
1,419 posts, read 3,018,605 times
Reputation: 434
I moved to Fairfax just out of college because I had a government degree and I loved DC so i figured that's where I should be. Low and behold, couldn't find a decent job so worked retail, shared an apartment with two other people I barely knew and I also generally hated it here. Moved home to CT after 9 months.

Now I'm back, completely different employment and living situation as well as 19 yrs more mature. I realize that the places generally don't make you happy or unhappy, it's what you DO in them, and what LIFE you make for yourself. If you have a burning desire to be somewhere else, give it a shot, but know that the grass is not always greener
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,902,275 times
Reputation: 42861
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
Sure, lots of people hate it here. I'm not one of them, but every place has lots of people who hate it.

If you're looking for a low/lower COL, this is not the place to be at all.
Yup, all you have to do is cruise the various city forums here on city-data. Every single town has it's share of people who just hate living there. (And plenty of people who love those towns, too.)

Nova isn't for everyone. If there's some place else you'd rather be and you can find a job there, I'd go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:42 AM
 
Location: In the woods
3,315 posts, read 8,796,414 times
Reputation: 1510
Default DC isn't NJ nor vice versa

It takes awhile getting used to DC. It's a tough city. I hated it too when I first moved down from NJ (Central/South Jersey). Yes, things are costly and the people can be pretentious, hyper, and cold. But once you make friends, get to know the area, and enjoy some activities, things will get better.

The one great thing about jobs it that there are many opportunities in DC, especially if you have an interdisciplinary background.

There are alot of NYers moving into the city (I saw that somewhere on this forum???). Maybe try getting together with some of them? Evidently, the job market for certain fields is better here than in NY. My daughter went to school in NY and wanted to stay there when she graduate but found many more opportunities here and now likes it (she is in Criminology). Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 AM
 
Location: In the woods
3,315 posts, read 8,796,414 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I moved to Fairfax just out of college because I had a government degree and I loved DC so i figured that's where I should be. Low and behold, couldn't find a decent job so worked retail, shared an apartment with two other people I barely knew and I also generally hated it here. Moved home to CT after 9 months.

Now I'm back, completely different employment and living situation as well as 19 yrs more mature. I realize that the places generally don't make you happy or unhappy, it's what you DO in them, and what LIFE you make for yourself. If you have a burning desire to be somewhere else, give it a shot, but know that the grass is not always greener
Love your post and the relevancy on the topic. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 AM
 
5,333 posts, read 6,138,445 times
Reputation: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
Honestly, everyone in the DC area is some political nutcase that tries to push their agendas on you while reading The Economist and sipping wine they don't even like, but say they do because it fits their image. Other people my age here are in that "wealthy young professional" bracket and have no interest in anyone that doesn't make 75 grand or more a year. Everyone I'm friends with has two or even three jobs just to rent a bedroom of a house in questionable neighborhoods.
Bottom line, if you hate the area and can get a job elsewhere, then do it, since it appears you don't have to factor selling a house or education for kids into your decision.

I take issue with your characterization of the people here. Is this impression common among young people who move here? Maybe it's overwhelming to see the concentration of wealth (though I bet you can find that in NJ too). Since I grew up here, I don't see it from a newcomer's eyes; maybe there is a cultural shock for those moving here.

People I've known here include auto mechanics, slackers, database admins, artists, bartenders, lawyers, managers, video producers, blues musicians, etc. A wide range. I never hear conversations about what just happened "on the Hill" and my neighbors never discuss politics. I know as many people who enjoy beer as do wine, and I haven't run into people who show off a wine collection (maybe they're in Loudoun County ).

I've met people here who are very materialistic, but since I'm not materialistic and don't run in those circles, I'm not encountering it all the time.

BTW, the Economist is good reading, not a status symbol, but it's not required reading. And how do you know they don't like their wine? Do they grimace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 AM
 
Location: In the woods
3,315 posts, read 8,796,414 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
People I've known here include auto mechanics, slackers, database admins, artists, bartenders, lawyers, managers, video producers, blues musicians, etc. A wide range. I never hear conversations about what just happened "on the Hill" and my neighbors never discuss politics. I know as many people who enjoy beer as do wine, and I haven't run into people who show off a wine collection (maybe they're in Loudoun County ).
This is a good point. I agree that it's a matter of finding the kind of people you want to be around and the ones you want to avoid.

Moving to DC would be a culture shock for some young people -- depending where they're coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top