Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times

Advertisements

The Loudoun County economist reports that 696 homes reached the final stage of foreclosure from January-June 2009. That number is down 31 percent compared with the same six-month period in 2008, when 1,005 homes were foreclosed upon.

I don't know the figures for the other counties, but I'd guess they're more or less the same.

So.... what do you guys think, good news or bad news?

Loudoun Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 04:31 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
696 homes? That's like 15 of my neighborhoods.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:49 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
In my neighborhood prices have gone enough that all the houses that were on the market (all short sales or foreclosures) have now sold. We have no homes on the market, for the first time since the the homes were built in 2004-2005. Yes, I think it's good news. I think we've hit the bottom in many areas of NOVA.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
In a related story, sales of existing homes increased for the fifth consecutive month in June -- Homes sales in June were up 22 percent from May. Hope it continues.

Loudoun Times

Old 10-28-2009, 09:29 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
There's a big backlog of foreclosures soon to hit the market. This is before the next wave of loan resets affecting alt-a and pay option loans.

Quote:
More than 100,000 mortgages - almost 8 percent of all loans in the region - were delinquent in June. Further, 51,500 were more than 90 days past due, the report said.
New flood of foreclosures likely to hit area - wtop.com

Old 10-28-2009, 09:47 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
There's a big backlog of foreclosures soon to hit the market. This is before the next wave of loan resets affecting alt-a and pay option loans.

New flood of foreclosures likely to hit area - wtop.com

Amen. I think lenders are dragging their feet on foreclosures so as not to flood the market and have home prices completely collapse....causing even more keys to arrive in their mail.

There's a house I'm keeping my eye on (to buy) that I personally know something about....a co-worker's brother walked away from it. She said he hadn't made a payment in many months and moved to Oregon in July. It's not listed for sale or listed on any forelosure site, or the lender's REO page. Phone calls the lender aren't returned. It's like the house doesn't exist...but I know it's sitting there empty.

Who knows how many thousands of others are out there like it...

Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Well that would be good news to people trying to find a bargain. I know a young couple who are extremely frustrated. They thought they were going to get a fantastic deal buying a foreclosure, but they can't find anything. Apparently there's a lot of buyers out there thinking the same thing. Every time they think they've found a place, they end up getting outbid.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:52 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well that would be good news to people trying to find a bargain. I know a young couple who are extremely frustrated. They thought they were going to get a fantastic deal buying a foreclosure, but they can't find anything. Apparently there's a lot of buyers out there thinking the same thing. Every time they think they've found a place, they end up getting outbid.
That's not going to change. Folks looking for a bargain are competing with other folks doing the same as well as investors buying up homes. Flipping houses is still going on even in the "recession". There is a house up the street that was bought for 158k, and now is back on the market for 280k a month and half later.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 AM

722 posts, read 1,981,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
That's not going to change. Folks looking for a bargain are competing with other folks doing the same as well as investors buying up homes. Flipping houses is still going on even in the "recession". There is a house up the street that was bought for 158k, and now is back on the market for 280k a month and half later.
I agree. As sad as it makes me - since I'd like to buy a house before I'm old and gray - the investors have not gone anywhere, and they're just going to keep at it. They're still making profits, so why wouldn't they? I know I would! The foreclosure situation would have to get absolutely insane for the average modest buyer to be able to grab a good deal.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
A lot of the buyers are flippers and investors who are coming into ownership with little or no cash. Last summer, restrictions on investors applying for government-backed loans were lifted. They're now getting into trouble and getting bailed out by the taxpayers just like everyone else...

Quote:
Fannie Mae is replacing a forbearance program for troubled borrowers with one that will make the breaks available to property investors and owners of second homes. In a forbearance, the government-sponsored enterprise reduces the monthly payment on a mortgage for up to six months. The current program only provides this relief for loans on owner-occupied properties.
Fannie Mae Offers Hand to Investors

Last edited by lchoro; 10-28-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia