U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 12:40 PM

529 posts, read 1,020,511 times

Advertisements

Hey guys i just moved to NoVa (in august) from the NYC area, and I am still getting to know the area. I was wondering if anyone knew of some unique places to check out or ways to meet people:

-I am no longer real big into the bar/drinking scene, but I am big into the music scene. I am curious if there are any drum & bass DJs out there, or underground clubs for that genre. Also are there any vinyl shops that sell dnb/house records?

-Anyone know of good places to take music production classes? I was thinking of Omega Studios' Home Page , but it seems pretty official and expensive... perhaps something more low-key?

-Are there any dance schools that teach breakdancing? or maybe gymnastics places to train at?

-I was wondering if there are any libertarians out there! I'd like to find some and meetup. What better place to get involved in political issues? But i'd like to get involved with some local stuff too.

-Last but not least, any good investing groups/classes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 12:56 PM

3,286 posts, read 10,567,747 times
I can only really help with the last one:

The Northern Virginia Libertarian Meetup (Fairfax, VA) - Meetup.com
Washington D.C. Libertarian Party Meetup (Washington, DC) - Meetup.com
The Arlington/Alexandria Ron Paul Meetup Group (Alexandria, VA) - Meetup.com

There were more results. Just go to www.meetup.com and do a search on "libertarians" and your zip code. Or, for that matter, any other interest you may have. Welcome to the area & good luck!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:48 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,095,633 times
For DnB, I know there's a huge festival outside of Baltimore every year called Starscape. I went back in '03. It's all types of electronica, but there's a tent dedicated to DnB and there are always some big DnB names there, like Dieselboy. I'm not really into the DnB scene though, so I don't know of any clubs.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times
This magazine has all sorts of listings and events you might find interesting
On Tap Magazine | Home

Old 10-29-2009, 04:27 PM

2,282 posts, read 5,570,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post

-I was wondering if there are any libertarians out there! I'd like to find some and meetup. What better place to get involved in political issues? But i'd like to get involved with some local stuff too.
I'd suggest, as my tag does, to sign up with PublicSquare.net - Common Ground, Uncommon Debate. There are non-partisan and very intelligent, no emotion debate. They sponsor debates in DC and on their site.

If you want to stay purely libertarian, The Cato Institute also sponsor debate and talks. They've got some $$ so they'll probably feed you at the events too.
Have a great time

Old 10-30-2009, 06:26 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,041,228 times
Check out DJ Hut on 20th and P in the Dupont Circle area. Not sure if they specifically have drum-and-bass records but I would assume so.

And I recall that Northern Virginia Community College (aka "NOVA") offers a Music Recording certificate from its Loudoun County campus in Sterling. (I once thought of doing that myself.) Your schedule would have to be as flexible as a typical student though since the classes seem to be offered primarily during the day.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-02-2009 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,619,006 times
There's a place in Vienna called Jammin Java that is a music house/ coffee shop. They have live shows there most nights. They also teach music lessons through there. It's a pretty cool place smack in the middle of suburbia. If it's not what you want, you could definitely get some leads from there.

ETA: http://www.jamminjava.com/home

Old 11-03-2009, 08:37 AM

529 posts, read 1,020,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Check out DJ Hut on 20th and P in the Dupont Circle area. Not sure if they specifically have drum-and-bass records but I would assume so.

Thanks for your suggestion, but i went to 20th and P on sunday, and DJ hut wasn't there! I later googled it, and found out they shut down...but that did open me up to a list of other record shops that i'll have to check out!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,041,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
Thanks for your suggestion, but i went to 20th and P on sunday, and DJ hut wasn't there! I later googled it, and found out they shut down...but that did open me up to a list of other record shops that i'll have to check out!
Wow I'm sorry to hear that. It was open as of June so it must have shut down recently. Glad you found some other options though.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:45 PM

15 posts, read 21,124 times
In DC the clubs are usually a good place to go without drinking if you like dancing. Lima or Glow if you like to dance. Lima has a bit more drinking going on but people will never notice if you are carrying a coke in a glass. And a good place to meet musicians is believe it or not Online. Try Bandmix.com. This site is great, you may not have to pay. I looked through some peoples profiles and they posted their Email address so you could contact them that way instead of using the site and paying. But in the city there are thousands of clubs to join you just have to look online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia