Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Whom Do You Intend to Vote for Next Governor of VA?
Creigh Deeds (Democrat) 38 46.91%
Bob McDonnell (Republican) 43 53.09%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

We've all seen the television ads, the commentary and editorials in the Washington Post, the cheesy campaign signs littering our medians, etc., so we're all well aware of the fact that in less than one month we will be poised with the task of electing the successor to Gov. Tim Kaine (D). Who are the candidates? Bob McDonnell (R) is a Fairfax County native and a proud social conservative. Creigh Deeds (D) is from rural Southern VA and is considered to be more socially liberal than his opponent. McDonnell wrote a graduate school thesis that condemned working women and homosexuals, and Deeds has made it no secret that he'll likely be raising taxes as your governor. McDonnell comes off much more eloquently whereas Deeds seems to stumble over every sentence he tries to assemble.

Since I'm still quite honestly undecided (leaning McDonnell) please take this opportunity to vote in this poll and state why you plan to vote the way you do in an effort to persuade me one way or the other. As an openly-gay registered Democrat one would think I'd be a shoo-in for Deeds, but I'm honestly not impressed by him as a gubernatorial candidate. While McDonnell's nasty views towards homosexuals really makes me uncomfortable supporting him I have to admit he has more solid revenue-raising strategies (off-shore drilling, sale of state-owned liquor stores, new tolls, etc.) to fund our transportation woes than Deeds, who will likely just jack up taxes. I'm still having much difficulty getting over McDonnell's views towards working women and gays though, so in the end I may just write in Normie for governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 PM

10 posts, read 12,512 times
I will most likely vote for Bob McDonnell in November. I like that he has a plan for transportation, lower (non-raising) taxes and that he knows Virginia. He is from Hampton Roads and NOVA and I think he is the best canidate. I am concerned about the thesis but Craig Deeds isn't doing the best job marketing himself, though he has improved. McDonnell is more well-versed than Deeds. I am conservative myself but I think McDonnell has changed since his time at Regent University. If he ever enters the national scene (like Palin did last year) as VP or President nominee, that thesis could be detrimental for him. I would be more likely to vote for Deeds but he doesn't have the sound plans like a governor should and our state has a lot of problems that we are facing. I also think our Gov. Kaine didn't do the best being that he is a half-time governor and I think Virginia needs some change. Maybe its a good thing that governors can only carry one term in Virginia.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM

239 posts, read 641,911 times
Neither are very impressive. It is important for Virginia to maintain its image as being pro business.
The Left doesn't seem to understand that you can't tax people without jobs. Governor Gibbons (NV) will tell you that every time they raise taxes in Nevada; revenue goes down, and unemployment goes up.

Selling those idiotic State run ABC Stores has been a long time coming. I always thought it had a hint of USSR. We know what happened to them. "Right now, Massachusetts is more communist than China"--Professor James Rogers, CNBC.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repub757 View Post
I will most likely vote for Bob McDonnell in November. I like that he has a plan for transportation, lower (non-raising) taxes and that he knows Virginia. He is from Hampton Roads and NOVA and I think he is the best canidate. I am concerned about the thesis but Craig Deeds isn't doing the best job marketing himself, though he has improved. McDonnell is more well-versed than Deeds. I am conservative myself but I think McDonnell has changed since his time at Regent University. If he ever enters the national scene (like Palin did last year) as VP or President nominee, that thesis could be detrimental for him. I would be more likely to vote for Deeds but he doesn't have the sound plans like a governor should and our state has a lot of problems that we are facing. I also think our Gov. Kaine didn't do the best being that he is a half-time governor and I think Virginia needs some change. Maybe its a good thing that governors can only carry one term in Virginia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
Neither are very impressive. It is important for Virginia to maintain its image as being pro business.
The Left doesn't seem to understand that you can't tax people without jobs. Governor Gibbons (NV) will tell you that every time they raise taxes in Nevada; revenue goes down, and unemployment goes up.

Selling those idiotic State run ABC Stores has been a long time coming. I always thought it had a hint of USSR. We know what happened to them. "Right now, Massachusetts is more communist than China"--Professor James Rogers, CNBC.
Thank you both for your insight. I suppose I can overlook McDonnell's thesis as people can change their social attitudes over the course of just a few months, let alone numerous years. The last gentleman who made it known that he was against women working outside the home was Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA), and we all saw how popular that made him (he was voted out). Then again Santorum also drew a comparison between homosexuals and child molesters so I'm sure that didn't help matters much (along with being a "fiscal conservative" who expected the taxpayers to foot the bill to send his children to fancy private school in DC).

I hate to say it, but I'm becoming more and more aligned with the Republican party as I age. If the GOP would drop the "gays will kill you with their mutant cooties" drama then they'd garner the support of MILLIONS of us in the LGBT community who are fed up with some of the Democratic party's failures. Deeds has just done a horrible job campaigning, in my humble opinion. I think he relied upon VA's overwhelming support of President Obama to propel him to victory, but now he's seeing those coattails are no longer there for him to ride on. Even White House insiders say they are disappointed with Deeds as a candidate.

VA has once again been named as the best state for business (under a Democratic governor, may I add, just to clarify that party lines don't necessarily always align). I am in favor of off-shore drilling, selling the state-owned liquor stores, new tolls at the VA/NC border, and other ideas pitched by Mr. McDonnell to get the state back on track fiscally without raising taxes (too much anyways, as I DO still think a SMALL tax increase may be unavoidable). As I said I just wish someone could help me to "get over" his thesis. Some of the things he said were downright hurtful. Then again a gubernatorial race shouldn't be a popularity contest. I'll inevitably vote for the candidate whose OVERALL platforms mesh well with me to help move VA forward, even if I don't like him as a person.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
We've all seen the television ads, the commentary and editorials in the Washington Post, the cheesy campaign signs littering our medians, etc., so we're all well aware of the fact that in less than one month we will be poised with the task of electing the successor to Gov. Tim Kaine (D). Who are the candidates? Bob McDonnell (R) is a Fairfax County native and a proud social conservative. Creigh Deeds (D) is from rural Southern VA and is considered to be more socially liberal than his opponent. McDonnell wrote a graduate school thesis that condemned working women and homosexuals, and Deeds has made it no secret that he'll likely be raising taxes as your governor. McDonnell comes off much more eloquently whereas Deeds seems to stumble over every sentence he tries to assemble.

Since I'm still quite honestly undecided (leaning McDonnell) please take this opportunity to vote in this poll and state why you plan to vote the way you do in an effort to persuade me one way or the other. As an openly-gay registered Democrat one would think I'd be a shoo-in for Deeds, but I'm honestly not impressed by him as a gubernatorial candidate. While McDonnell's nasty views towards homosexuals really makes me uncomfortable supporting him I have to admit he has more solid revenue-raising strategies (off-shore drilling, sale of state-owned liquor stores, new tolls, etc.) to fund our transportation woes than Deeds, who will likely just jack up taxes. I'm still having much difficulty getting over McDonnell's views towards working women and gays though, so in the end I may just write in Normie for governor.
This is still a head-scratcher for me.

McDonnell is possibly a little too conversative for me but he does have some solid revenue raising ideas. Plus he lives in Hampton Roads which is another plus .

Deeds is from rural Virginia which is often forgotten in Richmond. At least he's honest out front and says that taxes may go up. And another rarity, a pro-gun democrat.

Decisions, decisions.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times

YouTube - Deeds On the Ropes on Taxes

Old 10-14-2009, 07:21 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
McDonnell all the way!

I've always wanted to own liquor stores. To insure choice locations, I have made the maximum campaign donation allowed by law in the names of every member of my extended family! So, I have Annandale sewn up....but if y'all want a store, you better get those checkbooks out!

And I'm sick of hearing about "the thesis"....he was just a kid of 34 when he wrote that. Sheesh, I'd hate to have every stupid thing I said and did in my youth held against me!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
And I'm sick of hearing about "the thesis"....he was just a kid of 34 when he wrote that. Sheesh, I'd hate to have every stupid thing I said and did in my youth held against me!
As I said it's the one "hurdle" I have yet to overcome before throwing my support fully to Mr. McDonnell. This wasn't a high school paper. This was a graduate school thesis written by a man nearing middle age who had presumably said such things while in a state of lucidity. Yes, this was a number of years ago, and yes, people DO change. I just wish someone could help to assuage me of the guilt I'd feel casting a vote in favor of a man who resents people like me and blames women working outside the home for the decline of our youth. That's it. If I can get over that "hump" he has my vote. Otherwise as I said I'm writing in Normie.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I think the Democratic party in VA ought to be readying to rally for a better election in 2013 at this point after seeing that. As I said I'm an openly-gay left-of-center Democrat who is NOT going to be voting for this man. I should be a reliable shoo-in for Deeds, but I'm not.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:31 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
I think Bob's daughter Jeanine, a veteran who was a platoon leader in Iraq, can verify that her dad is very supportive of career women .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia