U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 02:54 AM

139 posts, read 257,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It's just so depressing. I was looking forward to making some kiddo's night tonight by handing out a boatload of candy. This was to be my first Halloween living at my own place, and now it's well past 8 and we still haven't had even one drop by yet (yet another reason I'd never want to live in an apartment forever).
Sorry, but I have to agree with you. Every holiday stinks in a condo. Halloween doesn't exist, nor Christmas, or any other holiday. Just sterile plasterboard and antisocial neighbors. Ugh. Only a small number of children visited our place in our sfh, but we went out for a while. The neighbors didn't talk much, but nearly all had candy and decorations. It brought back the joy that I had as a child.

Agree ScranBarre. Find another town eventually or something. Don't live half your live in condos/apts. The best you can do is get drunk on holidays and forget how empty your life is. Not you specifically, but I mean how hollow my life was in those gddm ratholes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Ain't it a crying shame? By golly it seems like everyone is in too much of a gosh-darned rush to stop and give a rat's derriere about the people who share walls with them. I know the gentleman next-door to me, the unmarried couple upstairs, the married couple upstairs from them, and that's it. Even then I wouldn't really say I "know" any of them. Today while sweeping the leaves from off the sidewalk in front of our cluster so that the trick-or-treaters (that we apparently don't get) wouldn't trip over them I had the one friendly married woman stop to chat with me for five full minutes as I played with her dog. That really brought a smile to my face at a time when I haven't been doing much smiling. Otherwise this place still just feels like a sterile suitcase and reeks of transience and solitude. Renting a place on my own was imperative to me because I do value my privacy and want to eventually date someone, but I never quite bargained for being surrounded by people who just put up the social barriers and don't let them down. What a horrid change from Pennsylvania, where people were TOO darn friendly---by golly, dontcha know!?
Agree again. For years, I would talk to my condo neighbors every time I'd see them. In the elevator, I always struck up something. The neighbors next door never liked us. Don't know why. The man would try to look straight forward and not see me. So sure, I'd talk to neighbors briefly, even have a five minute conversation. On couple we invited over for dinner blew us off after. Another that invited us was just trying to convert us. Blame me, but I made friends outside condo easily. Just hollow empty people.

"We are the hollow men, we are the stuffed men,
Gathered together, headpiece filled with straw.
Alas, our voices when we whisper together are silent as wind on dry grass
Or rat's feet on broken glass, in our dry cellar."

Last edited by dlumpen; 11-01-2009 at 03:25 AM..

Old 11-01-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
I'm guessing you thrive off of drama. What did you expect, you live in an apartment complex!!!!! For christ's sake, wake up! Even families in the same building won't go trick or treating there! This really should NOT come as a surprise to you, and my guess is that it doesn't.
I dunno. I bought candy for years in my condo without a knock. Just in case. It's hard to believe that absolutely no one would come by, but true. Later, I got prepared to be quiet and hide if any child did come by.

It's not the same experience for them to walk down bare walls vs brick sidewalks in the dark with all kinds of decorations out. Don't blame parents for not taking kids by a condo/apt. Of the few visitors, I saw one car that appeared to have driven their kids to our neighborhood. Good for them. I welcome folks to bring their kids here (in sfh neighborhood).

Old 11-01-2009, 04:50 AM

23,537 posts, read 33,256,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
We had a lot of them but less than last year.

Alanboy - since you have such fond memories of trick or treaing from you childhool - it is now your turn to make it nice for kids -

I am suprised you volunteered a church Halloween even if you dont like kids - Halloween is FOR kids - adults are yesterdays news - you had your fun
Well actually my event was for teens (13 and up) who I really don't consider kids.

I do agree that halloween is more for kids sorta like Christmas (the non-religious commericalized version which I don't take part in.) My favorite holiday is now either Memorial Day (rolling thunder decends on DC, oh yeah I'm moving doh!) or Thankgiving (one day to be thankful even if you don't have much.)

Old 11-01-2009, 05:31 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I think the kids like being out walking the streets at night, that's half the fun!
Exactly--and everyone goes to the neighborhoods with lots of lights and cool effects. Trust me, if you get 100+ kids the odds are most of them don't live on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
we only had about 20 or so, which is less than we expected, but our whole half of the street was dead, so probably alot of people just didn't bother to come down here...
We were in the same situation when we first moved in. The people who owned our house before us didn't do halloween, and to make it even more challenging we live on a long pipestem with just one other house. The kids had learned not to bother coming down the driveway.

It took a few years to solve the problem. The biggest change happened when we got a big flashing pumpkin and put it in a strategic location so the kids on the street would see it. And my next door neighbor put some luminaries along the pipestem--that made us look a lot more inviting.

BTW if you want a deal on halloween decorations, a lot of those specialty stores have big sales for a few days, starting Nov. 1. Or you can make them yourselves. We had a ton of old cd's and strung them from trees. They make a really cool effect, and it didn't cost us a fortune.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,767,807 times
Check out how many kids went to the white house this year... No Trick: 2,000 Kids Knocking on White House Door|ABC 7 News Now that would be a fun place to wear a Sarah Palin costume!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:43 AM

8,108 posts, read 12,636,912 times
I took my son out to trick-or-treat last night and it seemed like every other house had their porch light off, weren't home, or weren't answering the door. Boo Humbug!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:12 AM

722 posts, read 1,751,056 times
We didn't get as many as I was expecting, but we got quite a few. And my almost 3-year-old had a blast going out, despite the rain.

We were living in an apartment complex last year and we didn't end up going out (our son just didn't get the whole Halloween thing yet, and wasn't cooperative about getting into costume at the time) but if we had, we would have gone to a neighborhood of SFHs.

Why? Well, not only is half the point to walk around outside with hordes of other kids....but also, in our apartment complex, most of the other residents were singles and young couples without kids. I did not expect them to be home on Halloween. I expected them to be out at Halloween parties. Therefore, it would have been pointless to knock on doors within the complex.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:17 AM

4,750 posts, read 4,010,130 times
You could have gone to Scranbarre's place. From his description, I'd think that place was full of folks just dying for some children to show up.

We had two show up around 9:30 last night, well after everyone else was done, in the pouring rain. I watched them from a window and there was a car driving along the street following as they went from house to house. From the way they were dressed, I'd guess it was their pimp in the car having them gather candy for him.

Other than that, it was a great night in the neighborhood!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:27 AM

427 posts, read 972,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
. . . everyone goes to the neighborhoods with lots of lights and cool effects. Trust me, if you get 100+ kids the odds are most of them don't live on the street.
Yup. That would be our new neighborhood. By the end of the evening, we were getting little flocks of children walking door to door trailed closely by slow-moving minivans. Loved it!

We're gonna have to step up our game next year and do more outdoor decorating. Our jack-o-lanterns this year were awesome, if I do say so myself, but we need more creepy goodness on our property if we're going to uphold the neighborhood standard. Time to hit those after-Halloween sales!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia