Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:15 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Looks like I spoke too soon. We just got a whole bunch of pre teens. Somebody in the next neighborhood had a party and now we have bunches of party guests who just jumped out of a van. And they're all on the prowl for my candy.

Total of 57 kids so far. So, we're nearing normal head count now.

Quick Scran, get over here and bring your candy--I might run out! I'm down to 6-7 candy bars and we're starting to break into my secret stash of tootsie rolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 06:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I'm probably going to find out where to donate all of my candy now---maybe to a special needs school or somewhere where kids don't really feel as much appreciation as they should. It's just really a downer of a night for me. I'm still sick so I was hoping that the kids would have perked me up. I like being around children, but I don't really get that opportunity much here.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:21 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Not one single kid knocked on my door or even came on my 10th floor to knock on doors.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Not one single kid knocked on my door or even came on my 10th floor to knock on doors.
It must be a pretty sad life to be a child living in an apartment complex if your parents don't care enough about you to take you trick-or-treating. We have quite a few kids at Charter Oak, and not one came around. What sort of childhood is that when your parents don't even care enough about you to encourage you to dress up like a princess, ghost, angel, or vampire and score some candy?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:30 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Guess I spoke too soon too. Just had two big groups come through. Not a lot, but then we never get a lot back here.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:30 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
A lot of churches are sponsoring safe "trunk and treat" or Fall Fest events. Safer for the kids than going door-to-door. So few people know their neighborhs in NoVa.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:32 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I used to live in Reston: Northgate Square, Southgate Square, Bentana Woods and Vantage Hill - and always had kids there.

As for tonight: I figure 8:30 is late enough, then the older teens that don't even attempt a costume show up - head count was 45.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
So few people know their neighborhs in NoVa.
Ain't it a crying shame? By golly it seems like everyone is in too much of a gosh-darned rush to stop and give a rat's derriere about the people who share walls with them. I know the gentleman next-door to me, the unmarried couple upstairs, the married couple upstairs from them, and that's it. Even then I wouldn't really say I "know" any of them. Today while sweeping the leaves from off the sidewalk in front of our cluster so that the trick-or-treaters (that we apparently don't get) wouldn't trip over them I had the one friendly married woman stop to chat with me for five full minutes as I played with her dog. That really brought a smile to my face at a time when I haven't been doing much smiling. Otherwise this place still just feels like a sterile suitcase and reeks of transience and solitude. Renting a place on my own was imperative to me because I do value my privacy and want to eventually date someone, but I never quite bargained for being surrounded by people who just put up the social barriers and don't let them down. What a horrid change from Pennsylvania, where people were TOO darn friendly---by golly, dontcha know!?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:36 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It must be a pretty sad life to be a child living in an apartment complex if your parents don't care enough about you to take you trick-or-treating. We have quite a few kids at Charter Oak, and not one came around. What sort of childhood is that when your parents don't even care enough about you to encourage you to dress up like a princess, ghost, angel, or vampire and score some candy?
In our neighborhood, parents in the condos bring their kids over to the townhouses and single family homes. The apartment/condo demographic tends to be people who are more likely to be out on Halloween. The kids in your apartments are probably out scoring candy in other areas where the houses are more likely to be giving out stuff. I lived in lots of different apartment complexes growing up and never trick-or-treated there.

We had a ton of kids tonight. We walked around with our kids to a few houses but it was sprinkling, so returned home to hang out on our porch giving out candy for a while until their 7:00 bedtime. Then we retreated inside to eat Chinese food and watch some TiVo'd goodness. We always leave a basket of candy out, and it just got emptied (the first year that we didn't have a little left).

Old 10-31-2009, 06:42 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
when I lived in a complex we never got anyone either...I think the kids like being out walking the streets at night, that's half the fun! we only had about 20 or so, which is less than we expected, but our whole half of the street was dead, so probably alot of people just didn't bother to come down here...bummer...so much extra candy along with the candy my kids got....ugh chocolate induced migraine already here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia