U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 AM

6 posts, read 22,904 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Stafford in December. I have found two neighborhoods that I do like (from what I have seen online)....Aquia Harbour and Widewater village. We are looking to rent. Does anyone know anything about these neighborhoods? My first choice would be Widewater Village, but there are only a couple of listing online for rent. Any information you have would be great! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 04:11 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,157,083 times
I have no info about Stafford other than what my husbands co-workers have said. However, if we come back to DC on permanent assignment it is definately an area we are interested in.

You might try looking at militarybyowner.com and using Quantico as the base, it seems to have a decent number of houses in the Stafford area on it. FWIW my husbands co-workers say it has really good schools and is actually affordable, for us that meant actually finding a sfh with garage for rent that wasn't going to cost 50% of our take home pay.

Where are you going to be working? I don't know how much luck you will have getting info about Stafford on here, from my observations the majority of the posters live much closer in.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:46 PM

318 posts, read 343,151 times
Depends on what you are looking for. We looked in both developments, and Widewater is right on Route 1. Aquia has a pseudo gate, and all visitors have to be on the list, etc. I know a few people who live in Aquia (USMC folks) and they say its ok... don't love it. The traffic in the morning getting out can be a nightmare. Snow removal, a problem.

Where are you working? Why Stafford?

Old 11-05-2009, 01:03 AM

My husband will be stationed at Quantico. We are looking at Stafford because that area has been recommended to us by several people. Great schools, safe, great for families, etc. Neither one of us has ever been to Virginia. I did hear about the traffic with Aquia Harbour =( I heard that the school in Widewater Village is great. We are not too picky on where we will be living.....we are hoping to buy after a year (assuming we love VA). I just want a safe, family friendly neighborhood, and a home with a FENCE. Most of the homes I find online do not have fenced backyards. Is this a VA thing? With young children and a dog a fenced backyard is a must! Okay, not a must but it would make things easier. Are there any other areas or neighborhoods that you would recommend over Stafford?

Old 11-05-2009, 04:07 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,157,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccncsa0805 View Post
My husband will be stationed at Quantico. We are looking at Stafford because that area has been recommended to us by several people. Great schools, safe, great for families, etc. Neither one of us has ever been to Virginia. I did hear about the traffic with Aquia Harbour =( I heard that the school in Widewater Village is great. We are not too picky on where we will be living.....we are hoping to buy after a year (assuming we love VA). I just want a safe, family friendly neighborhood, and a home with a FENCE. Most of the homes I find online do not have fenced backyards. Is this a VA thing? With young children and a dog a fenced backyard is a must! Okay, not a must but it would make things easier. Are there any other areas or neighborhoods that you would recommend over Stafford?

We do not live in the area yet, but are here on temporary assignment and have been exploring where we would like to live if we come back. By far Stafford has been the one place that we like the most. My husband should we come back would be making the commute into DC everyday but Stafford has what we want. His co-workers that live out there say the schools are good, we liked how friendly the people are and the fact that you can find SFH's that aren't 50% of my hubbys pay. There mere fact that you can find affordable SFH's in Stafford with fenced yards and garages is a big plus for us.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 AM

664 posts, read 1,624,566 times
Quote:
My husband is also stationed at Quantico

We looked at Aquia Harbour, but it wasn't for us. Our favorite neighborhood that we looked at was called Ashland, it is north of the base off of route 234.
I've heard excellent things about the public schools it feeds into, it's just minutes to the 95, and it is a beautiful neighborhood.
Unfortunately, at the time we were looking, prices were near peak and we couldn't afford it. But if we could have, we would have loved to live there!

There is another neighborhood right next to it called Montclair which is also very nice, I have a friend who lives there. They have a private lake, and some parts of Montclair also go to the same schools as Ashland. My friend loves living in Montclair!

We live in Bristow, which is a bit further out west, but the commute isn't as bad as you would think. My husband takes route 619 and it takes about 1/2 hour to get from our house to the main gate at Quantico. We love living in Bristow because of the beautiful, family oriented neighborhoods, lots of nice new shopping, etc.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:40 AM

664 posts, read 1,624,566 times
No idea what your price range/size needs are...but here are some examples of homes in the neighborhoods I mentioned

Lyceum Lane, VA (http://www.militarybyowner.com/listings/tourplus.asp?F_BASE_ID=242&F_STATE=VA&LISTING_ID=8 2529 - broken link)

Buena Vista Drive, VA (http://www.militarybyowner.com/listings/tourplus.asp?F_BASE_ID=242&F_STATE=VA&LISTING_ID=1 27722 - broken link)

Widwewater Dr., VA (http://www.militarybyowner.com/listings/tourplus.asp?F_BASE_ID=242&F_STATE=VA&LISTING_ID=3 0978 - broken link)

Prestwick Ct, VA (http://www.militarybyowner.com/listings/tourplus.asp?F_BASE_ID=242&F_STATE=VA&LISTING_ID=1 16305 - broken link)

Kittewan Ct, VA (http://www.militarybyowner.com/listings/tourplus.asp?F_BASE_ID=242&F_STATE=VA&LISTING_ID=1 12599 - broken link)

Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM

Thank you! This helps very much!!! "Ashland" ??? Where is this located? What city? We are needing a 4 bedroom and are willing to pay up to $2000 a month.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM

8,114 posts, read 12,687,324 times
Quote:
Thank you! This helps very much!!! "Ashland" ??? Where is this located? What city? We are needing a 4 bedroom and are willing to pay up to $2000 a month.
We lived in Ashland for about 8 years. The home on Lyceum in the link above is in Ashland. Most of the development has a Manassas address with a zip of 20112, but there is a section behind Forest Park HS with a Woodbridge address.

Here is one:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5653-Assateague-Pl_Manassas_VA_20112_1112411054 (broken link)

and the community website:
http://216.3.232.164:9131/

Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 PM

318 posts, read 343,151 times
You can look in Triangle, but I don't there there is much on the market here at the moment, and also Montclair is nice. There are some areas in Stafford, such as Park Ridge and a few others off of 610 that are nicer (IMHO) than Aquia and Widewater.

I have lots of friends (military wives) who live in Lake Ridge - their hubbies are at Quantico, Ft. Belvoir & Bolling AFB. Would be a reverse commute for your husband. Great shopping there, close to Potomac Mills... and lots of stay at home wives.

One question... why are you not planning on living on base? There are some pretty nice new homes there now. I've been in them! Pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or