Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you read local newspapers?
Yes, I read the Washington Post 30 68.18%
Yes, I read the Washington Times 5 11.36%
Yes, I read the local free papers (Connection, Observer, etc.) 20 45.45%
I read the Onion, that's the only way to peel away the layers of what's really going on! 4 9.09%
No, I get my news from TV 2 4.55%
No, I get my news from the internet 9 20.45%
Who needs news? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 AM

870 posts, read 2,109,551 times

Advertisements

I have a good trial rate from the Post, which is why I'm currently a subscriber. I save more money from the Sunday coupons and the Wednesday food ads than the subscription costs. However, the quality of the paper has turned notably worse just in the 1.5 years I've been here. The editing is extremely shoddy, the slant of the paper is growing even more lopsided, and I can't wait for them to "merge" (eliminate) even more sections of the paper. I will have to seriously consider the value when they try to charge me full price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,738,867 times
I read the Sunday paper (Post) and any time we get that other paper for free (whatever its name is, the "republican" one). I actually prefer the latter for shorter stories and to get a different point of view. Also read the local papers.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:11 PM

361 posts, read 737,371 times
Just a comment. I put the Examiner down for dog pee. Its politics aside, they throw it everywhere, and people leave it lay from week to week. It is legalized littering -- in this neighborhood at least. A different color plastic bag from week to week, what an eyesore.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
....I have a feeling the Washington Times may fold, but the Post will survive no matter how bad the economy gets. People like to hold newspapers, even if they do get most of their news online.

The Times will be around for as long as the cult leader, Rev Sun Myung Moon, wants to keep paying for it. He has spent well over a billion (with a B) dollars on it so far. The paper has never made a dime. I'm not interested in the Reverend's (or his minions') views on anything.

I take the Post...which most certainly has a liberal slant, but it also runs lots of well-written non-political stuff. The Post has gone downhill in recent years, but is still worth it's cost to me. I have to have a newspaper in my hands...I'm NOT going to drag a computer into the bathroom! LOL

Old 11-07-2009, 12:13 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,495 times
I read the Washington Post, the City Paper, and the Washington Blade. We're lucky to live in an area that has a decent daily newspaper. There aren't many left. I don't know anyone under 40 who reads newspapers-----they read these god-awful blogs. It's a shame.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:03 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
I read the Washington Post online, mostly for national - international. For local goings-on, I rely on the Alexandria Times and Gazette. I get local political news and events that way.

The Examiner is frequently in my driveway despite my never asking for it. I used to browse it, but now it goes directly into recycling.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 PM

31 posts, read 72,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
However, the quality of the paper has turned notably worse just in the 1.5 years I've been here. The editing is extremely shoddy, the slant of the paper is growing even more lopsided, and I can't wait for them to "merge" (eliminate) even more sections of the paper. I will have to seriously consider the value when they try to charge me full price.
I agree with this and it's a shame. After living in L.A. and watching the demise of the Times, I was excited when we moved here to have a "real" newspaper again. But just in the year-plus that we've been here, the paper has shrunk noticeably. And some of the sections have drastically declined in quality - Food, for example, used to have lots of recipes I wanted to try. Now it's just restaurant and wine reviews and a very few recipes, most of which I have no interest in. I guess that way they save money by not actually having to test the recipes.

And apparently they assume that no one here reads books. What major paper doesn't have a decent Book Review section? If there was a decent competitor, I would jump ship in a minute.

Anyway, back to the original topic, we do take the Post (for now) and also read the little local rags that show up in our driveway. We live in Great Falls and the two local weeklies that we get are actually pretty helpful in keeping track of what is going on nearby.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I just started subscribing to the Washington Post a few weeks ago. I was reading it for free online at work but then told myself it was thanks to people like me who were, more or less, "stealing" their news that so many newspapers were going bankrupt, so I wanted to step up to the plate and ante up some cash to help keep the paper afloat. I'm glad I did. So far I've already used $10 worth of coupons! At this rate the paper will much more than pay for itself. I read the Restonian blog online for my community-specific news.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
LOL, when we finally dig out from all this snow, it'll be funny to see how many issues of the Examiner are at the bottom of the pile. They were still throwing them in my driveway even a few days ago.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:48 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
I'll tell you what, this blizzard may be the turning point for paper newspapers. Before this storm, I sometimes read the paper online but preferred the paper versions. Now I head straight for the online version. I have no desire to trudge my long, long driveway just to see if a paper might be there. Funny how once you ge used to reading a publication online you lose desire for the paper version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia