U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:33 AM

15,400 posts, read 18,120,906 times

Advertisements

It's Wegmans, I tell ya! They're moving out to the burbs because they all want to be near that new Wegmans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 07:53 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,891,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Interesting that the article opened with the young guy who owns Eyebar now living in Ashburn. My bet is he'll be driving down Claiborne Parkway one day, see the perfect place for a club, and the next thing you know he'll open Eyebar West. Which would earn a from me. Ashburn could use a cool place to dance.
A place like that would be cool. I was at a birthday party last night and we were talking about how this area could use a place like Jillian's, Dave and Busters, or Lucky Strike. Seems like one would do well.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,654,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
This was our deciding factor with moving to Ashburn, as we really wanted to be in fairfax or closer at first. We weren't too thrilled with what we saw in our price range for places in fairfax. For about the same price level, we ended up with a newer place, nicer floorplan, +1000 sqft, and another garage space. It was kinda a no brainer for us. And if we tried to buy in arlington, forget it, we would've gotten a 1-bedroom closet for the price of our place here.

It's a bit far, but not a huge deal and we're much happier in our home here.
I chose Herndon but ends up I dont work anywehre near here lol I am going to suck it up til the end of my lease and find something else.. possibly in Ashburn. ?? Are you in Brambleton?

Old 11-08-2009, 06:05 PM

LOL, well one thing's for sure. After today's game it's probably a safe bet they aren't moving to Ashburn to be closer to the Redskins!

Old 11-08-2009, 06:31 PM

4,033 posts, read 5,265,353 times
Interesting article. Not particuarly surprising though when you consider the fact that Loudon county is the wealthiest county in the country, with Fairfax a close 2nd or 3rd. So there's money around here (I just can't get my hands on it ). I'm in that age group but certainly not making that much money and I don't know anyone under 30 making enough money to be qualified as rich. So I think that these folks that were interviewed are the exception versus the rule for the DC area.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
So there's money around here (I just can't get my hands on it ). I'm in that age group but certainly not making that much money and I don't know anyone under 30 making enough money to be qualified as rich.
Are you single? Maybe you can find a wealthy cougar to give you a taste of the good life. I hear they hang out at that bar in Brambleton...

Old 11-08-2009, 09:16 PM

413 posts, read 735,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Interesting that the article opened with the young guy who owns Eyebar now living in Ashburn. My bet is he'll be driving down Claiborne Parkway one day, see the perfect place for a club, and the next thing you know he'll open Eyebar West. Which would earn a from me. Ashburn could use a cool place to dance.

The big reason I think Eyebar could score in the burbs is the ethnic flavor. This is how my grandson bluntly puts it: Eyebar's appeal is "more hot Asian chicks that you can shake a stick at, Sikhs jamming to Punjabi music, pale white girls from Dayton, all mixing it up".

LOL, sounds like a description of Ashburn to me. Lots of rich kids from Asia, India, and Dayton out here in the burbs, just looking for a place to have fun. Eyebar West would do really well. Or maybe they would call it Earbar, you know, since the ear is west of the eye.
I thought Eyebar was a regular bar environment? No dance floor?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 PM

9,409 posts, read 16,052,302 times
Eyebar has a dance floor, but it's hardly a place that would fly in Ashburn. The target demographic wants to go to the city to be uber-hip and cosmopolitan as people do in LA, NYC, and Miami, but Ashburn is not even an edge city, much less a host to an urban club environment. Plus, the city is anonymous for the most part, whereas in the suburbs, such places are squelched by the local politicians. In Ashburn, I would such an establishment would get past the Board of Supervisors and the HOA without huge hassles, if at all, and would have limited prospects of attracting people as a destination club.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The target demographic wants to go to the city to be uber-hip and cosmopolitan as people do in LA, NYC, and Miami, but Ashburn is not even an edge city, much less a host to an urban club environment.
Actually, that's why I think it would be a huge hit. People flock to things that are unexpected.

According to this article, the demographic is already out there. And what's more, this demographic includes a lot of wealthy young people from other countries. The Asian and Indian populations don't have the same anti-suburb prejudices that other groups do. In other words, they won't say "ewwww, we can't be seen going to a club in a suburb"; they'd go check it out, happy to be able to party closer to home.

People who enjoy irony would also check it out. A lot of celebrities and athletes live in the Ashburn area, and the guy who owns Eyebar knows many of them personally. If they became regulars, a club like that would take off.

This is just envisioning, of course. I haven't heard any rumors of such a place opening, I just think it would be very successful. And as long as it doesn't attract crime, I think you might be surprised about the local politicians.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:13 AM

Getting away from fantasy and back to club openings that are a bit more likely....

I've heard rumors of two entertainment venues that are scouting the area near DTC. One is a dance club/night club near the Dulles Town Center that wants to attract people leaving the ball game at the new stadium. I guess the theory is people sitting at a long baseball game will want to stretch the evening out and also stretch their legs and dance a little.

The other rumor I've heard is a comedy and magic club looking at a space in the Cascades Marketplace. It's a good site for a club, right off route 7 and with a lot of apartments and townhouses within a block or two.

These are just rumors, but it's interesting to see that the next wave of growth coming to this area seems more focused on entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia