Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 07:30 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
This was why I was saying I could never justify paying 6 to over 700K for a tiny townhouse.
And a lot of people here could never justify living in Alexandria. Some couldnt justify living in anything less than a McMansion on 5 acres. SOme couldnt justify anything more than an efficiency apt. Some couldnt justify being more than a 5 minute walk from the US capitol, and some couldnt justify a premium for being east of dulles. We are all different.

However whats relevant to metrowest pricing, is that there are many people who DO pay a premium for new construction (as you can see in the Potomac Yards area) as well as for Fairfax County Schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robuva View Post
Metrowest's TH size starts from 1448 sq ( four story TH). I call them 'Pigeon Hole' TH. Not because of their sq ft but the way they are built. I can build a 10,000 sq ft TH on a 100 sq ft lot by having 10 stories! But will this TH will make anyone feel worth living or paying a hefty price?

Ive been in very narrow 19th c townhouses in Baltimore City. They were cute, and quite liveable. Walking up the stairs is good exercise.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 AM

414 posts, read 907,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
And a lot of people here could never justify living in Alexandria. Some couldnt justify living in anything less than a McMansion on 5 acres. SOme couldnt justify anything more than an efficiency apt. Some couldnt justify being more than a 5 minute walk from the US capitol, and some couldnt justify a premium for being east of dulles. We are all different.

However whats relevant to metrowest pricing, is that there are many people who DO pay a premium for new construction (as you can see in the Potomac Yards area) as well as for Fairfax County Schools.

Actually, there's not much new construction in terms of living spaces over there yet. Potomac Greens is about it. The new highrises over at Rt. 1 and Glebe, well those are still 1/2 empty or more. I went in one of those once and they layout was horrible, and it was teensy weensy tiny and narrow. One of the most narrow places I have ever seen. MOST of the new construction in terms of residential around Potomac Yards is still yet to come. Doubtless that it will fill up too. There is one strip of like 5 townhouses up (im guessing they are models) and those things are hideous!!! Kind of wish they had been more strict with what they could build/ look like. THey just replaced a large section of public housing in north old town with brand new "row houses" and I was very pleasantly surprised at how nicely done those were and how well they fit in with the older row houses / buildings around them.

Personally, I am not one of those "oh I HAVE TO HAVE NEW CONSRUCTION" type people either. I have lived in brand spanking new construction a few times, and honestly, its nothing special. But you are right, its all about personal choices and there will always be someone who will like it and want to move in and feel it has value, even if it is a ripoff. I'm also not a fan of most of Fairfax county though either. There are exceptions like Old Town Herndon, or parts of Reston. I did live in Old Town Fairfax city once, and that was a fairly nice neat place.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 AM

"Personally, I am not one of those "oh I HAVE TO HAVE NEW CONSRUCTION" type people either. I have lived in brand spanking new construction a few times, and honestly, its nothing special. But you are right, its all about personal choices and there will always be someone who will like it and want to move in and feel it has value, even if it is a ripoff."

Im evaluating the "ripoff" in terms of the going market rate for specific features, not my or your personal preferences. If you think the premium for new construction is a ripoff thats well and good for you, but then the price of virtually all new construction in this region, or for that matter, most other places in the USA, is a ripoff. Its not really useful in discussing if a PARTICULAR new development is a "rip off"

Old 09-01-2011, 06:23 PM

43 posts, read 114,648 times
It's quite simple people, there is no need to whine if you don't want to pay the premium for highly desirable location and brand new construction. It's just that Pulte believe that they can sell at those prices and there are some examples of comparable units nearby that were sold in similar range. If you don't feel like it worth the money, then don't buy and go buy older homes; people who feel like it's worth the price will buy it or else you can wait and the price may come down.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:12 AM

200 posts, read 560,648 times
It is interesting, this unit was on the market for 4 days and then snatched!

Link to townhouse property in Fairfax City

This is a very comparable unit to MetroWest similar to what melaniey posted before. It's 2,080 sq-ft new 3BR 3.5BH townhome (built in 2004) priced and sold at $650K. Probably about 15 minutes walk to Vienna metro.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-20-2011 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: please refer to general MLS sites; realtor-sponsored sites constitute advertising

Old 09-19-2011, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 9,601 times
Metrowest! Pay the price of a palace to live in a 'Pigeonhole' !!

If you notice then you will find that there are few people appears to be paid by Pulte to keep praising Metrowest and hide the facts by putting sugarcoated blabber. Goodluck to these spin doctors and Pulte

Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 PM

200 posts, read 560,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robuva View Post
Metrowest! Pay the price of a palace to live in a 'Pigeonhole' !!

If you notice then you will find that there are few people appears to be paid by Pulte to keep praising Metrowest and hide the facts by putting sugarcoated blabber. Goodluck to these spin doctors and Pulte
And what is your agenda, robuva or should I say Robert? You seem to bash MetroWest here too:

Metrowest prices

You seem to sign up here to City-data just to bash MetroWest? There are no other posts from you besides in this thread.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 AM

I wish I were getting bucks from Pulte.

Frankly I'm not buying at metrowest. Number one, cause we are past the stage in life when we need TH instead of a condo. Secondly cause we dont need to worry about the schools any more, and frankly, after dealing with FCPS for enough years, I'm not as wild about FCPS as some folks are. And third, I'm kewl with older units. And fourth, I think I'd rather live in DC or in or near Old Town Alex than out near Vienna, and at that price point there are some decent options in DC and Alex.

That said, there IS a premium for new, and I think both Metrowest and other similarly priced TOD currently coming on stream in FFX county will sell well enough. How the on stream TOD will hold its value, given that there is a lot in the pipeline, I dont know - I suspect given that theres more condos than THs in the pipeline, THs should do relatively well, but I dont know.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 PM

43 posts, read 114,648 times
robuva:

To say that something is expensive or not is not a fact, it's an opinion. To say that something is like a pigeon hole is also not a fact, it's your subjective opinion which people may or may not agree. That sounds to me like bashing.

I noticed that your very same message was deleted by moderate earlier today and you seem to be very persistant in coming back and typing in the same message again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia