U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 AM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,148 posts, read 3,444,819 times

Advertisements

I moved here from Boston in the 90s. DC/NoVa is as friendly as Mayberry in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 AM

139 posts, read 258,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I moved here from Boston in the 90s. DC/NoVa is as friendly as Mayberry in comparison.
No offense. You are probably a very nice person. Part of the unfriendly factor is definitely caused by migration from the Northeast. Although to blame it all on the NE would not give the full picture.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Mercenary people in NOVA? Well we do have a lot of military folks up here...

I know my neighbors on a first name basis. We're not drinking buddies or anything like that, but I'll shoot the breeze with them. I don't have their house keys and they don't have mine, but we've exchanged cell numbers for those just in case moments. One day I forgot to close my garage before I left for work. My neighbor mentioned it and said that he went into the garage and hit the close button for me. I have no problem with that, but I certainly wouldn't give him a key to the house

One of my other neighbors is the board of supervisors for my district. Luckily I voted for him and we get a long on most issues
This message board is a hoot. You're mocking what I'm saying about people being mercenary, and then you show that you are one. "Well, I know so and so who is on the board of supervisors" That's so DC! It's _exactly_ what I'm talking about! The DC area is filled with power worshopers and those who crave being associated with it. I shouldn't have to say this, of course....

Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,025,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlumpen View Post
No offense. You are probably a very nice person. Part of the unfriendly factor is definitely caused by migration from the Northeast. Although to blame it all on the NE would not give the full picture.

This comment isn't very friendly you know....

Old 11-10-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
This message board is a hoot. You're mocking what I'm saying about people being mercenary, and then you show that you are one. "Well, I know so and so who is on the board of supervisors" That's so DC! It's _exactly_ what I'm talking about! The DC area is filled with power worshopers and those who crave being associated with it. I shouldn't have to say this, of course....
BTW, if anyone is neighbors with BOS John Foust, they can brag about it in two years when he's just another member of the McLean Citizen's Association and has gone the way of Del. Marge Vanderhye.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,284,037 times
Quote:
You're a riot! I couldn't care less what my neighbor's position is. Hell he moved across the street after I did, what am I suppose to say, "Hey can you not move here 'cause you want to be some power broker?"

Oh and we're recruiting members for our militia. Resistance is futile...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,819,567 times
Default Default The Friendliness Factor: Compare Nova to Where You Used To Live

No, NoVA doesn't stand out at as being more friendly than other places or even standing out in that category. All I've read so far are about people living on their own streets and in the cul-de-sacs. Also, it's one thing to be with a group of friends or associates which of course, can be deemed "friendly."

What about everywhere else? Otherwise, as a whole, people are nonchalant, dismissive or directly or indirectly rude in other parts of NoVA. Generally speaking, people will do whatever they can to avoid eye-to-eye contact or god forbid, touching or bumping into someone.

People are transient, they're always coming and going, tired, raising kids, working , they're really pissed off from the traffic -- so how this add up to any kind of "friendly factor."

I live between two states and NoVA cannot hold a torch to the regions of South Jersey. Laugh if you want and call everyone here hicks and hillbillies but it's one place where people will always greet you, hold the doors open, and call out someone who is rude and disrespectful.

There are some great things to say about NoVa, but please, let's not sugar-coat all this and even consider the area as a friendly Mayberry or Main Street USA.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:09 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,971,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Generally speaking, people will do whatever they can to avoid eye-to-eye contact or god forbid, touching or bumping into someone.
In this day of swine flu and pick pockets, I think that's a good thing.

Maybe that's one reason I prefer Nova to California. I never felt comfortable with the whole touchie-touchie huggie-huggie kissy-kissy way of life. I'll smile, I'll stop and say hello, I'll carry on conversations while waiting in line at the market. But I don't like strangers embracing me. Keep your germs to yourself!

Quote:
I live between two states and NoVA cannot hold a torch to the regions of South Jersey. Laugh if you want and call everyone here hicks and hillbillies but it's one place where people will always greet you, hold the doors open, and call out someone who is rude and disrespectful.
I like South Jersey too. Cape May's one of my all time favorite places. I never thought of it as hillbilly, just as a nice place.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,971,255 times
Quote:
There are some great things to say about NoVa, but please, let's not sugar-coat all this and even consider the area as a friendly Mayberry or Main Street USA.
LOL, even Mayberry isn't that friendly any more. SHOOTING IN 'MAYBERRY': Four slain in N.C. town that inspired TV show | delmarvanow.com | The Daily Times

Old 11-10-2009, 11:26 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,819,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
In this day of swine flu and pick pockets, I think that's a good thing.
Sure, this would apply to any other outbreak issue. That isn't what I am talking about. People just simply keep their distance like everyone has the plague or something. There's a difference between moderating space between individuals versus acting cold/distant all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia