Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,521 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating from school soon and am looking at moving to the Northern Virginia area. Cost is definitely a factor, however, I am looking for the following things:
-Seeing as how I'm from a small rural town, I'd like to live somewhere that has a small town feel but is not hours from a city.
- I need a safe neighborhood! I'd like to be able to walk my dog around the block without worrying.
-Since I'm a dog lover and have a couple, I'd like to rent a home or a townhouse so that I can have a backyard.
- I do not see myself being able to afford anything more than 1300 a month.
-I am not interested in living too close to DC

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwall191 View Post
I will be graduating from school soon and am looking at moving to the Northern Virginia area. Cost is definitely a factor, however, I am looking for the following things:
-Seeing as how I'm from a small rural town, I'd like to live somewhere that has a small town feel but is not hours from a city.
- I need a safe neighborhood! I'd like to be able to walk my dog around the block without worrying.
-Since I'm a dog lover and have a couple, I'd like to rent a home or a townhouse so that I can have a backyard.
- I do not see myself being able to afford anything more than 1300 a month.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!!
What about where you will be working? That plays a big part in most people's decision. What's your threshold for commuting times? 45 minutes? 2 hours? Doesn't matter?

Most places in Northern Virginia are safe enough to walk around the block, or many blocks, without worry.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Do you have a job lined up? The "Northern Virginia area" covers quite a range of differences.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:33 AM

280 posts, read 1,042,016 times
In general, small towns are pretty far from NoVA, though some NoVA burbs have a more town/community feel.

This confuses me a little:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwall191 View Post
How close to DC do you want to be? Daily commuting range? Or occasional visiting?

Old 11-12-2009, 09:48 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,463 times
I would suggest Leesburg, as Old Town Leesburg definitely has a small town feel. It's within driving distance to DC on the weekends, but otherwise feels quite far removed. And if you don't mind commuting 45 minutes to an hour, you can get to some major employment centers.

That said, I don't know enough about rental prices there to say whether you can get a townhouse for $1300. My gut says no, but I'll let people more familiar with Loudoun County respond to that.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,521 times
Thanks for the replies! I'm going into the elementary teaching field. I am just looking to gather a few names of towns that I can research a little and maybe visit. Once school is done I will be making my first big move from home, so I am just researching some areas I think I would like. Sorry if that is vague. Also, I don't mind anything up to an hours commute, and I wouldn't mind DC as the occasional commute.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:37 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Try Berryville, VA (Clarke County). Definitely small town surrounded by rural countryside. There's also Winchester, VA, Harpers Ferry, WVA, Shepardsville, WVA, and Charlestown, WVA. All are very affordable by NoVa standards with fairly good school systems. Berryville is by far the smallest but they all have "small town" feels.

Going further west, there are lots of small cities up and down the Shenandoah Valley that are about an hour from DC. Front Royal, Edinburg, Strasburg.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
you might want to research and visit clifton, in fairfax county.
otherwise, id vote for leesburg, or lucketts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia