U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:44 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,908,287 times

Advertisements

I guess I've been lucky, but I'm always surprised when I see people commenting that people in Nova aren't friendly. My experience is very different.

I've lived in several states since leaving college (Hawaii, California, Oregon, Montana, Indiana, South Carolina, Wyoming). No matter where I lived, I had a few friends but once I left school I never thought of my neighbors or the people I met as being especially friendly.

So when people complain about unfriendliness here, my first thought is how is that any different from the rest of the U.S.?

Actually, I've been very lucky in Nova. I guess we picked a good neighborhood. In all those places I lived before I never even knew the names of half the people who lived on my street. I know all my neighbors here.

Maybe it's because we live on a cul de sac? We have a few neighborhood parties during the year, and it's the thing to do around here to hang out and socialize while we watch the kids play. It's not like my neighbors are my bff's but I feel I know them well enough to trust them with a house key when we go out of town.

For those who think Nova's unfriendly, I wonder: were your neighbors really that much friendlier where you used to live? And just to be fair, let's compare apples to apples. If your former town was a college or your childhood home, that's not a fair comparison. People tend to make lots of friends in school, but once you're out in the real world it's hard to get to know people no matter what city you live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:58 PM

2,711 posts, read 6,264,230 times
No offense meant, but not another one of these threads

Old 11-09-2009, 01:06 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,908,287 times
LOL, you're right. This horse has been beaten a few times too many.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:07 PM

139 posts, read 257,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Agree. I started a similar thread, and even I'm getting a little tired of this topic.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:21 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,019,194 times
LOL but I will respond because I just moved to Western Loudoun county from CT (Metro NYC)....and though it may not surprise many, yes, our neighbors are more friendly here Folks from Connecticut, and really all of New England, not known for being terribly "warm" of course.

We've been here not quite a month and we've definitely felt welcomed. BTW we do NOT live in a classic neighborhood really, so I didn't expect much but hasn't been bad at all. Our next door neighbors brought us a nice plate of amazing double fudge brownies I was out working in the yard over the weekend and had two neighbors stop their cars to welcome me and another waved from her house across the street. Honestly that's a whole lot better than we got at our old house in CT.

And just in general, I'm finding people very welcoming here. Now granted my husband is working in Herndon and he is not overly impressed with the friendliness so I suppose it's more about where in NOVA you live...

Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM

139 posts, read 257,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
LOL but I will respond because I just moved to Western Loudoun county from CT (Metro NYC)....and though it may not surprise many, yes, our neighbors are more friendly here Folks from Connecticut, and really all of New England, not known for being terribly "warm" of course.

We've been here not quite a month and we've definitely felt welcomed. BTW we do NOT live in a classic neighborhood really, so I didn't expect much but hasn't been bad at all. Our next door neighbors brought us a nice plate of amazing double fudge brownies I was out working in the yard over the weekend and had two neighbors stop their cars to welcome me and another waved from her house across the street. Honestly that's a whole lot better than we got at our old house in CT.

And just in general, I'm finding people very welcoming here. Now granted my husband is working in Herndon and he is not overly impressed with the friendliness so I suppose it's more about where in NOVA you live...
I hate you. Just kidding. I actually really like my neighborhood. But if I wasn't somewhat outgoing, almost no one would talk to me, and I would even be disliked by one or more. (Due to assumptions that had to be dismissed.)

Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM

31 posts, read 65,625 times
Our neighbors here have been very nice and friendly. They brought over welcome baskets and gave us all kinds of helpful hints about the neighborhood. They even brought a bunch of candy over for our son on Halloween, since our neighborhood is not great for trick-or-treating. I do think the layout of the neighborhood (not very walker-friendly) makes it hard for casual conversations.

Our last neighborhood in southern California was much more dense. We knew all our neighbors very well. In some cases that was a wonderful thing. However, we did have one "bad" neighbor who terrorized the whole neighborhood - there are some downsides to an urban setting!

Old 11-09-2009, 03:28 PM

2,293 posts, read 5,587,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Agreed

Old 11-09-2009, 04:41 PM

23,638 posts, read 33,429,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I guess I've been lucky, but I'm always surprised when I see people commenting that people in Nova aren't friendly. My experience is very different.

I've lived in several states since leaving college (Hawaii, California, Oregon, Montana, Indiana, South Carolina, Wyoming). No matter where I lived, I had a few friends but once I left school I never thought of my neighbors or the people I met as being especially friendly.

So when people complain about unfriendliness here, my first thought is how is that any different from the rest of the U.S.?

Actually, I've been very lucky in Nova. I guess we picked a good neighborhood. In all those places I lived before I never even knew the names of half the people who lived on my street. I know all my neighbors here.

Maybe it's because we live on a cul de sac? We have a few neighborhood parties during the year, and it's the thing to do around here to hang out and socialize while we watch the kids play. It's not like my neighbors are my bff's but I feel I know them well enough to trust them with a house key when we go out of town.

For those who think Nova's unfriendly, I wonder: were your neighbors really that much friendlier where you used to live? And just to be fair, let's compare apples to apples. If your former town was a college or your childhood home, that's not a fair comparison. People tend to make lots of friends in school, but once you're out in the real world it's hard to get to know people no matter what city you live in.
Trust my neighbors with a house key?! That's just crazy!!!!

My neighbors weren't friendly back in Hampton Roads but they would help you out when you needed something or at the very least realized your existance on this earth. My neighbors here can be easily thrown farther than I can trust them.

One time, our neighbor across the street in Hampton Roads helped us cut down a big tree that fell in our parking space after Hurricane Isabel and the only knowledge we had of him is that I had a thing for his daughter.

Heck, in Kentucky there is a saying that if your neighbors house burns down you offer him yours even if you hate him. After Hurricane Ike hit Louisville and its Southern exurbs, I heard and saw tales of neighbors helping neighbors. Half the people who made presentations to the BRACcies had their families and friends living with them because they had no power at their houses.

I could care less about friendly neighbors, just give me ones that will help me and each other in our hour of need.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,262,801 times
We have several neighbors that have a copy of our house key, I also have keys to 6 peoples' houses. The neighborhood has changed a great deal so we don't know as many as we used to (we're among the "younger" set in the neighborhood) - but I do try to get to meet others, if we can communicate we're usually okay.

Back to the OT - I've lived in PA (hometown), MD (briefly) and VA - more people in PA had access to my home (I actually grew up somewhere back in the day when you didn't have to lock your doors!!) - but my experience since moving to VA was and has been that I've met some great trustworthy folks and they feel the same about us since we have access to their homes.

I do have to say I think it's harder to meet FRIENDS that you want to hang out with, etc. - but that might also be do in part to the fact that we are all older now.

I also have to address the language issue here, that does bother me, it is obviously easier to be friendly with people you come across casually if they speak English (no flaming please).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia