U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 02:41 PM

11 posts, read 115,810 times

Advertisements

In recent I've convicted an accident, which is first time in my life. under the following too close section I may get 3 demerit points from DMV. While the court hearing date is coming soon, I must pay the fine before the date and I can avoid coming to court. In that case, I definitely get three - points from DMV.

I asked the police officer who gave me summons on the accidental day, upon my clean driving history he suggested me to get Computer-Based Driver Improvement online course from DMV. In such a way that I can get at least 5 points. Hence I can avoid those demerit points.

My questions are, where do I get that course and what is the process? is there should be a test? would I get 5 points definitely by doing that course? how much I need to spent on this?

Please anyone suggest me on this....

Thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 03:05 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,644,156 times
Virginia DMV: Computer-Based Driver Improvement Clinics

Old 11-14-2009, 06:41 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,830,208 times
You can go to court and request driver school. If the judge agrees, you complete the driver's school, show proof, and the ticket is dismissed (never even hits your record). No points and you still have a clean record.

If you do it yourself you get the +5 points, but the ticket will still be on your record. Make no mistake here, understand that you will still get the -3 points from the ticket if you "mail it in." When you complete the driver's school (if you do it yourself) the +5 cancels out the -3 (actually gives you +2), but the ticket is still there! You aren't avoiding anything.

Don't do driver's school before you go to court because then it won't be an option for the judge to give to you. Going to court is your right and gives you a chance to get the ticket dismissed. Use it.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:47 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,889,243 times
And don't forget that you get a "safe driving point" for each calendar year that don't get a ticket (up to a maximum of 5)....so the OP may already have plus points making the driver improvement course moot.

Like the previous poster said, the ticket still goes on one's driving record regardless of whether the demerit points are negated by the DI course. I would only take the DI course if I had enough points from previous violations that the new violation would result in a demerit point total that jeopardizes my drivers license (suspension, etc).

Also, the driver improvement course can only be taken once in any two year period....another reason to not take the course unnecessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia