U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you like the fact that it is still warm in November?
No, bring on the snow, please! 11 32.35%
Yes, I love the warm temps -- I'm not a fan of winter weather. 23 67.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2009, 05:14 PM

593 posts, read 1,728,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
When you're sitting in the house bored, you start chugging milk, baking brownies, etc.
Glad I'm not the only one!! Brownies during a snowstorm = pure goodness

I also love how a good snowstorm interrupts the daily routines that we all inevitably get complacent with. It's a nice surprise!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,163,937 times
I actually like Virginia's temperature distribution over the year. Coming from the North, I always wanted to move somewhere warm year round. Well, I think I just needed more moderation in my climate. I don't mind the cooler temps in November, December, and March here. I'm still not a fan of Jan and Feb, but I can deal.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 PM

543 posts, read 365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
WHY would you want a BLIZZARD? No electric (the electric in my rental dies on a 25 mph wind) so no heat, no tv, no internet to type on CD. I live in an area with no stores in walking distance (and no sidewalks to negotiate) plus I have a family. No food I haven't planned ahead. What if my child's croup or my DH's asthma kicks up? How do I drive them to a Doctor or an emergency room without plowed roads? Have as much Blizzard as you want-just not in this area!

Have you ever been in a Blizzard when the area has literally stood completely still for 3+ days? I have! Its awful!
I grew up in Culpeper and we had about 3 feet at my house. The snow had drifted over the cars to make it look like a big white lump. I was just a teen then and it was great to be off of school and not have to drive in it. I also made a ton of money shoveling out my neighbors driveways. Now that I'm older the love of the white stuff has not waned and I think driving in it is an adventure! Personally I think driving in an inch of snow is just as hard if not harder than driving in a foot of snow. Different strokes for different folks!

Old 11-19-2009, 03:56 PM

1,713 posts, read 3,720,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I grew up in Culpeper and we had about 3 feet at my house. The snow had drifted over the cars to make it look like a big white lump. I was just a teen then and it was great to be off of school and not have to drive in it. I also made a ton of money shoveling out my neighbors driveways. Now that I'm older the love of the white stuff has not waned and I think driving in it is an adventure! Personally I think driving in an inch of snow is just as hard if not harder than driving in a foot of snow. Different strokes for different folks!
Great. DM me your phone number and I'll call you on my cell after the storm when I need someone to roundtrip my sick child and myself to Inova Fairfax Hospital for his steroid shot

I guess a blizzard is great for singles with big trucks and SUVs.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 PM

30 posts, read 68,722 times
I hope there's some snow this winter! I've asked a few people in my various escapades around Fairfax, and it sounds like this area gets at least some snow. I'm from Indiana, and I like my white winters!!

Old 11-20-2009, 01:51 AM

372 posts, read 477,932 times
Temperatures can reach 70F or above 365 days out of the year in The DMV(Metropolitan) area. A few years ago i played tennis new years day wearing shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia