U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 AM

524 posts, read 447,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Oh yeah. You'll walk out of a meeting and start to talk to someone then realize that you're rudely interrupting a frantic Blackberry type session. People are socially unskilled and often scared of even a phone call, let alone a scary guy talking to them.
Yeah, it's weird to me because I grew up in this area and remember what it was like when people didn't have earphones in 24/7. I mean, there were walkmen and portable C.D. players, but they weren't nearly as popular/prevalent, and they rarely stopped a conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 AM

11,721 posts, read 17,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Interesting. How do the stats look for Nova?
I can't remember, but seemed more balanced. I wasn't particularly looking for that statistic with NOVA (or DC for that matter).

But what did actually strike me about researching Washington DC zip codes, was that everytime I looked at a zip code that had high numbers of black residents, the number of women to men were consistently significantly higher.

I guess you could interpret that in many ways. But that is basically what I regularly observed throughout the District.

So, basically my interpretation of that, is that within the black communities of DC, the numbers of black females to black males is significantly higher, which probably drives up the F/M ratio throughout DC statistically.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:03 AM

15,402 posts, read 16,981,428 times
Quote:
In NOVA if a woman is average or less, she thinks that half the guys exist just to flirt with her, and they're right.
And here I thought they existed just to flirt with me! My bad...

Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 AM

461 posts, read 498,206 times
For Fairfax County in 2009, there were 404,000 males 15 and over, and 417,000 females 15 and over. That's about 97 percent as many males. These figures do not take into account the number of males that normie keeps out of circulation : ) .

Old 11-03-2010, 11:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 13,791,193 times
Quote:
For Fairfax County in 2009, there were 404,000 males 15 and over, and 417 females 15 and over. That's about 97 percent as many males. These figures do not take into account the number of males that normie keeps out of circulation : ) .
Which is a number worth taking into account, I undestand. Not only is she cute, she also bribes them with copious amounts of Nutella.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Which is a number worth taking into account, I undestand. Not only is she cute, she also bribes them with copious amounts of Nutella.

Uh oh, my secret is out... That explains the mad rush of people towards the Costco nutella aisle...

Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 AM

629 posts, read 612,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Saw this snippet in another thread and thought it'd make a thought-provoking topic for a thread. I remember hearing this statistic when we first moved here, but then again you hear a lot of things that may or may not be true.

So... what do you young singles think? Is it still true? Was it ever true?

"I don't know if this matters or not, but DC has the lowest ratio of single men to single women in the nation. For every 100 single women in Washington, there are only 93.4 men. Your odds get much better in Alexandria. I don't know why, it's just one of those funny things I've read in a few different places so I think it's probably true."

Normie, I can tell you what I have noticed about NoVA; A LOT of men are married. And by that I mean, if you take the same group of single, good looking men in my age range (early 30's) from California and place them here, they are all married. Usually the same group of men in CA would be unmarried. I wonder about that a lot and why that is.

This may have already been addressed, but I haven't read the whole thread yet. I'll start now!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Normie, I can tell you what I have noticed about NoVA; A LOT of men are married. And by that I mean, if you take the same group of single, good looking men in my age range (early 30's) from California and place them here, they are all married. Usually the same group of men in CA would be unmarried. I wonder about that a lot and why that is.

This may have already been addressed, but I haven't read the whole thread yet. I'll start now!
LOL, actually I think LA's the exception and Nova's kind of typical. I've moved around a lot and married couples are typical for most metro areas, with the exception of the singles meccas in California and NYC where you'll find a lot of singles after age 25-26. In other cities most people tend to get married before they're 30. In LA, nobody ever seemed to get married, buy a house, etc. I belonged to a church where the 30's and 40' Singles Group had over 100 members and the big activity was still going to the beach to play volleyball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia