U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-19-2009, 07:04 AM

454 posts, read 669,967 times
Default Just got a traffic ticket last night :-(

so, i was coming back from a new gym (2nd time i've been there)......around 10 pm....when i got pulled over.

She said that i turned right at the light to the main road when there's a sign that says "no turn on red".
Last time i had a ticket was 3 years ago and i think i have 6 or 7 positive points. She was a nice lady.

Wrote me a ticket for "Disregarding a red light" which i believe is more severe than a "disobeying a sign" (right?)

Thinking back, i think i may have turned on the red (not sure). i went back and checked, the sign is there. i'm usually very careful about the "no turn on red" signs...but i just didn't see it (i'm never in that neighborhood and the streets are a bit dark).

oh well. 162 dollars down the drain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-19-2009, 02:24 PM

4,895 posts, read 5,752,784 times
Well, at least you have the positive points built up. I think the maximum you can earn are +5.

Unread 11-19-2009, 02:59 PM

454 posts, read 669,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Well, at least you have the positive points built up. I think the maximum you can earn are +5.
i thought it was 12+ but just double checked. you're correct.
max 5

Unread 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM

13,924 posts, read 15,173,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
so, i was coming back from a new gym (2nd time i've been there)......around 10 pm....when i got pulled over.

She said that i turned right at the light to the main road when there's a sign that says "no turn on red".
Last time i had a ticket was 3 years ago and i think i have 6 or 7 positive points. She was a nice lady.

Wrote me a ticket for "Disregarding a red light" which i believe is more severe than a "disobeying a sign" (right?)

Thinking back, i think i may have turned on the red (not sure). i went back and checked, the sign is there. i'm usually very careful about the "no turn on red" signs...but i just didn't see it (i'm never in that neighborhood and the streets are a bit dark).

oh well. 162 dollars down the drain
Wait a minute. Don't just pay the ticket. Go to court and at least see if they will accept going to driving school as an alternative to paying the $162 and losing the points.

I got a red light ticket 2 years ago and made the mistake of just paying it. Since I was under 21 i had to go to driving school anyway (and likely not get the points back) plus my insurance went up. I will never make the mistake of just giving up my money to UNFAIRfax County again.

Unread 11-19-2009, 03:32 PM

5,560 posts, read 4,817,372 times
You wouldn't have been at the Wegman's in Woodbridge were you?

When you come out of there to hit the main road, there is a No Turn on Red sign. Darndest thing. I can't figure out what it is there because the speed is not high on that road and there is clear visibility to make a right turn. I can't tell you HOW many times I ran that red light before I realized the sign. Sometimes I have done it since knowing the sign was there because I forget.

Unread 11-19-2009, 03:59 PM

1,069 posts, read 601,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I will never make the mistake of just giving up my money to UNFAIRfax County again.

the fact that one might be allowed to go to driving school for an infraction like this is more than fair. try to pull this in philadelphia county, and see if you arent laughed out of traffic court!

im sorry about Kleenex' ticket, but the cops in this county arent the ba s t ards they are made out to be. they keep this county safe, and that results in an intangible quality of life we all enjoy.

most people around here drive unsafely - they go too fast.

again, im not picking on Kleenex - i would suggest going to court. they might cut you a break if you explain that the sign was not illuminated and so unseen in the dark!

Unread 11-19-2009, 04:34 PM

13,924 posts, read 15,173,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
the fact that one might be allowed to go to driving school for an infraction like this is more than fair. try to pull this in philadelphia county, and see if you arent laughed out of traffic court!

im sorry about Kleenex' ticket, but the cops in this county arent the ba s t ards they are made out to be. they keep this county safe, and that results in an intangible quality of life we all enjoy.

most people around here drive unsafely - they go too fast.

again, im not picking on Kleenex - i would suggest going to court. they might cut you a break if you explain that the sign was not illuminated and so unseen in the dark!
Oh please, that county is only safe because most thugs can't afford to live in it. I'd love to see the Fairfax County cops try their luck in DC or PG County.

The Fairfax County police will do anything to give out a ticket. They have a deserved reputation for being ticket hounds. I've heard of them giving out tickets for not even 5mph over the limit like crazy.

Fairfax County keeps their speed limits extremely low just so that they'll drive people to speed and they can nail them. For example Dumfries Rd in Prince William County and the Fairfax County Pkwy East of I-95 are very similar roads. Dumfries Rd has a speed limit of 55, FFX co parkway is only 45. Dumfries Rd has nowhere near as many cops as the Parkway does.

I'm sorry but I can't blame anyone for disliking the Fairfax County police because they prove themselves to be revenue hounds more than cops.

Unread 11-19-2009, 05:29 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,342,276 times
Hey, there's got to be other alternatives than just raising property taxes again and again and again and again to fund all the things Fairfax Co has to pay for. At least with driving infractions, the person had the choice to obey the driving laws or not. If he/she chooses not to, so be it.

Unread 11-19-2009, 08:02 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,325,576 times
I have to say the drivers here have been a lot better than I thought they would be, then again I dont go near the dc/arlington area where I here its a bit worse. But I do get tired of seeing people running stop lights. I have never seen so many red light runners until moving here!! I mean, I can understand if you dont have time to stop and the light is going from green to yellow but when its going yellow to red or just red STOP!! It really irritates me when I have a green light but have to wait for the car or sometimes multiple cars to go through before I can. People need to just learn to be a bit more patient and jsut stop at the red light.

Unread 11-19-2009, 09:09 PM

3,848 posts, read 5,689,917 times
The odds of being ticketed around here are extremely low...after all, there are less than 1400 cops in a County of over 1 million people.

In my opinion, people cited for traffic infractions routinely break traffic laws.

For example, everybody speeds occasionally, myself included...but the more you do it, the more likely it is you will eventually get a ticket for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia