Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 07:05 PM

965 posts, read 4,482,375 times

Advertisements

The Washington Flour Company used to sell something called "Spoon Bread." Please see link: Home.

Well, boohoo, they no longer make it. Has anyone come across a packaged spoon bread mix that is made by/sold in Wegman's or Whole Foods or Trader Joes or Bloom, etc? Giant and Safeway no longer sell it. So often now, many of the grocery stores manufacture their own version of certain products.

The Washington Flour Company offers the spoon bread recipe on its website, but the site is being a little bear and is having a hissy fit between Firefox and Adobe Reader on my system, so I'm going to have to fumble a bit to get the recipe printed out.

I would rather have the box mix because I too often buy ingredients for one recipe, make it once, don't make the recipe again for eons, and then find that the ingredients have expired.

If anyone has seen Spoon Bread mix in their travels about town, I sure would appreciate a heads up. I'm making barbecue spare ribs for Thanksgiving, and I want spoon bread as one of the side dishes. Smack, smack.

Many thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:12 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,246,602 times
There's a company in Ashland, VA, called Byrd Mill that offers a spoon bread mix. Here's a link to their site: Byrd Mill - 18th C Spoon Bread Mix Hope that helps, though I have not seen it in the stores.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 PM

303 posts, read 913,105 times
Williamsburg Marketplace from Colonial Williamsburg sells a mix online as well as in its stores: Spoon Bread Mix. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 PM

965 posts, read 4,482,375 times
Thanks for the effort bmwguydc and Doppelganger69!

I, too, found Spoon Bread on the web at the following link: Spoonbread Mix (http://www.weisenberger.com/category.cfm?Category=31&CFID=2979&CFTOKEN=3340017 5 - broken link).

Great price for a 5-lb. bag! However, I'm not sure it would get here in time. Some companies don't count the weekend as processing days, and it is already just about Friday. They may not ship the item out until Monday, and I need to have this cooked on Thursday. That's why I was trying to see if I could find it locally.

I switched my browser to Internet Explorer and was able to print out the Washington Flour Company spoon bread recipe, so I'll probably just go ahead and make it myself. I gotta have it.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,619,833 times
Ahhh, Washington Flour....that sure brings back memories of "old" DC.

Washington Flour used to be in Georgetown smack by the Whitehurst Freeway. Their concrete silos were landmarks!

Unfortunately, their next door neighbor was a rendering plant (can you imagine that...in Georgetown?!)....anyway the rendering plant put out a stench that you smell for miles.

Washington Flour had a huge sign informing passers-by that the foul smell was NOT coming from Washington Flour! LOL

Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,864,581 times
There's a brand of pre-packaged soul food sauces, mixes, etc. carried by Shoppers called "Sylvie's" or "Sylvia's" - a spoonbread mix would seem to be right up their aisle, no pun intended. I've been trying to find it online, but must not have the spelling exactly right. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,826,666 times
Believe it or not, World Market sometimes sells mixes like that. If there's one near you, it's worth taking a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia