U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,954,501 times

Advertisements

Tberg, if you one day have children in school you'll recognize the importance of slowing down in a school zone. I have received two tickets in 31 years of driving. One I deserved, the other I felt I did not, but I went ahead and paid them. My son got also got a ticket in a school zone and I told him to pay it, it would ensure that he wouldn't make that mistake again. Several times a year the Fairfax County police station themselves in my children's school parking lot and I am grateful whenever I see them pull over a driver going too fast when the lights are flashing. I pass through another school's flashing lights every morning and am glad when I see the police pull people over there too.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:20 PM

37 posts, read 142,009 times
tberg224,

Your Q: Since no school children were present, no buses even, and the sign must have just started blinking do you think I can get the "speeding in a school zone" reduced? Answer: Its up to the Judge's discretion.

1) The Cop will show
Its the most likely scene. They give blocks of time to each cop on a given day so say from 9 to 11 am, Cop X is in court with all his tickets. So the chances that the cop is not there are rare but anything can happen. That is what you MUST go to court.

2) Don't use the speedometer even though it said 37 not 42?

I said Use it ONLY IF you can take it to a certified car shop and they can "certify" that the speedometer has a malfunction (shows less speed when going more) and that they fixed it. The broken speedometer only works if you can show documentation. The court clerk can guide you on the documentation needed for a malfunctioning speedometer defense. So call and ask.

3) Seek out the ADA and ask if I can just take the driver class, pay for that but no fine and no charge on my record?

Yes. Request the ADA for leniency. Tell about your point free record and how sorry you are about this. No matter how angry you are at the cop and what a farce you thing this is.....its your only chance at getting a break.

If the ADA recommends the traffic school to the judge - the judge may grant that. Its a deferred ticket. Pay court cost. Pay for the traffic school and submit your certificate. The ticket is then not reported to DMV. So your record is fine. The traffic school will show on your DMV record.

-If I can't find the ADA should I offer that in court? If there is no ADA used (some courts do not have them) then just appear in court and plead your case with the judge. Same thing. Accept your fault, say you are sorry and that generally you are a better driver. Show that the speeding in a school zone bothers you. Kids or no kids. If the judge says no traffic school then plead for a lesser charge.

"I already took the class, but that was 3 years ago.": Get a copy of your DMV record....see if the class is still on your record. The DMV can also tell you if you can take the school again. There is a time thing here maybe 3 years. If your record is clean the show the copy of your record to the judge.

Check the timin of the school zone sign. When does it get turned on? Who knows. 43 in 25 school zone is a bad one to get.

Again, Be Polite to all the judge, the ADA and the cop (yes the cop who gave you the ticket). Judges note these things. Be Nice - Dress Nice. If you come off as an arrogant person- the charge will stick.

Good luck!!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:27 PM

37 posts, read 142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Tberg, if you one day have children in school you'll recognize the importance of slowing down in a school zone. I have received two tickets in 31 years of driving. One I deserved, the other I felt I did not, but I went ahead and paid them. My son got also got a ticket in a school zone and I told him to pay it, it would ensure that he wouldn't make that mistake again. Several times a year the Fairfax County police station themselves in my children's school parking lot and I am grateful whenever I see them pull over a driver going too fast when the lights are flashing. I pass through another school's flashing lights every morning and am glad when I see the police pull people over there too.
I am in full agreement with what you are saying. School zones are very critical areas and all must drive slowly and carefully thru them. Hurting a child would be a huge tragedy.

However, for traffic violations - one must always try to go to court. That is a lesson too: admitting your fault and pleading for a second chance. You will pay $ either way. Believe me you won't forget your court experience in a hurry.

Speeding tickets on your record effect other things too...higher insurance premiums for one. Insurance business - now here is a scam if there ever was.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:21 PM

268 posts, read 1,553,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meMesa View Post
I am in full agreement with what you are saying. School zones are very critical areas and all must drive slowly and carefully thru them. Hurting a child would be a huge tragedy.

However, for traffic violations - one must always try to go to court. That is a lesson too: admitting your fault and pleading for a second chance. You will pay $ either way. Believe me you won't forget your court experience in a hurry.

Speeding tickets on your record effect other things too...higher insurance premiums for one. Insurance business - now here is a scam if there ever was.
No scam. It speaks to responsibility.

And tberg 224, your lack of maturity is showing. It's behavior like yours that makes these laws necessary and that affects everyone. Sorry you don't like the rules. It's not 3rd grade where you can stomp your feet and take your ball and go home. You need to grow up and realize this isn't about YOU. It's about protecting all citizens from people like you and your inability to currently see how your driving can endanger others.

Last edited by ashbrn4; 05-17-2007 at 03:32 PM..

Old 05-17-2007, 11:41 PM

429 posts, read 1,691,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
No scam. It speaks to responsibility.

And tberg 224, your lack of maturity is showing. It's behavior like yours that makes these laws necessary and that affects everyone. Sorry you don't like the rules. It's not 3rd grade where you can stomp your feet and take your ball and go home. You need to grow up and realize this isn't about YOU. It's about protecting all citizens from people like you and your inability to currently see how your driving can endanger others.
Oh yes, because I entered a zone 30 minutes before dismisal, one minute before the flashing started, I soooooooo endangered others.
Give me a break, I endangered nobody.
This is a scam, and the bigger shame is how people make this out to be nobel, this perpetuates the myth.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:49 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,037,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
Oh yes, because I entered a zone 30 minutes before dismisal, one minute before the flashing started, I soooooooo endangered others.
Give me a break, I endangered nobody.
This is a scam, and the bigger shame is how people make this out to be nobel, this perpetuates the myth.
I guess you're the type where you don't believe you endangered anyone until you kill them or hurt them. So have it your way. Have your negative attitude, call it a scam all you want. The fact is, the law is the law is the law and if you don't like it, CHANGE IT. Write your legislator. Coming to whine on an online forum about your irresponsibility is not going to get you sympathy nor is it going to get the results you desired. Until you change it, you're going to have to obey the law. Okay, maybe not. But you can keep taking your chances with it by going against it and showing how "smart" and "special" you are until they take you to jail. Good luck with that!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:04 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,647,892 times
why is it that the first thing out of someones mouth when they get a speeding ticket is...MY SPEEDOMETER is off?? and my thought is...if you are NOT willing to go and get it checked and fixed...then ITS probably NOT OFF!

when you take your foot off the accelerator...(when you saw the cop...after he clocked you) then your speed drops you look down and saw 37. Chances are you were going 42 when the radar hit your car BEFORE you ever saw the cop.

How do you know the school light started blinking 1 min before you arrived? What is the time on the ticket? What time does time does the school actually let out? School zones start before and after dismissle for a reason TO GET TRAFFIC SLOWED DOWN BEFORE the kids come running out of the school.

GROW UP and take responsiblity for your actions.

here's the national stats...
Quote:
And the worst has happened in school zones. The Kansas Department of Education, which tallies these numbers for the nation, says that in the 2004-2005 school year, 20 children died in school zones.

Of those 20 killed, 6 deaths involved a passing motorist. In the previous school year, 9 children died nationwide in school zones and six of those fatalities were linked to a passing motorist.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:59 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,151,398 times
It amazes me how many parents leave our elementary school speeding out into the school zone with no reguard to the law. Why is it so difficult for people to drive the speed limit?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:02 PM

268 posts, read 1,553,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
It amazes me how many parents leave our elementary school speeding out into the school zone with no reguard to the law. Why is it so difficult for people to drive the speed limit?
Because as the OP pointed out so well, the laws don't apply to some people. It's pretty pathetic and people like the OP need to learn the hard way, hopefully through this court issue he has and not by running over someone's child in the future. Of course, that would probably be someone else's fault too.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:41 PM

429 posts, read 1,691,924 times
Oh yes 30 minutes before the school is out of lockdown, a "technical" violation.
Give me a break.
I respect the law but not ticky tacky junk like this.

I'm not immature or irresponsible just fed up with law enforcement being ticky tacky and then claiming it's for the noble cause of safety when really it's about public annoyance and revenue.

We design roads to have good traffic flow, we have congestion but when not the cops are there on the traps to write tickets.
That's not safety.
It's bull sh*t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or