Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 AM

608 posts, read 1,707,859 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NoVa for the past 14 months and yet, I don't think I've ever driven the GW Memorial Pkwy before. I'm not even sure I was aware of its existence before tpday!

How bad is afternoon rush hour traffic on GW Pkwy heading East/South on it from I-495?

I work in Rockville, MD and want to visit a store in Old Town Alexandria and Google seems to think that taking the GW Pkwy is the best route. Would anyone agree with that or see it differently?

(The 2nd route Google recommends is getting on I-495 East and taking Georgia Avenue through DC. I don't know about Georgia Ave, but I know for a fact that getting on I-495 East from Rockville is extremely miserable and not worth it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 AM
k8p

141 posts, read 394,945 times
my husband travels GW Pkwy at rush hour every day from Mt. Vernon to the Pentagon. there is little traffic. the only back-up usually happens in Old Town, but it's nothing horrible. I've also left Bethesda during busy hours traveling back to Alexandria and didn't experience too much congestion.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
Taking the GW Parkway from the American Legion Bridge towards DC/Alexandria in the afternoon rush hour shouldn't be too bad, at least as far as highway traffic goes in this area. I end up doing that drive once every week or two. Usually you'll stay moving at a good pace, but if there's an accident, you can't really bail. I can't vouch for what it's like S of the Roosevelt Bridge, but the first half of your trip shouldn't be too bad. I would turn on WTOP in your office before you leave - if they don't mention an accident on the Parkway going south, go for it.

Plus, it's a beautiful road, so if you are sitting in traffic you can always look at the changing leaves and maybe a deer or two.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
I've taken the GW for almost 2 and half years doing the south commute towards old town. It's my favorite highway in the area and doesn't experience congestion normally (atleast compared to the rest of the area) unless there is an accident. If there is an accident however, it can be brutal as there aren't many exits.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:51 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
It's a beautiful road, one of my favorite ways to get to Alexandria.

The one confusing section, IMO, is at Arlington Cemetary. A couple of different roads cross and it's not immediately clear which one to choose to stay on GW Parkway. So be sure to look at that part of the map before you start driving so you'll know which road to pick.

Other than that it's a delightful drive (although, as someone else pointed out, it sometimes backs up.) With the leaves turning right now it should be gorgeous.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 PM

608 posts, read 1,707,859 times
Thanks for the info, everyone!

I just got back and I must say, it was quite a beautiful road. I felt like I was driving in a national park --- probably because I was

Old 10-08-2009, 07:01 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Every once in a while it gets bad. It can be really bad when it does. Most days it moves fine from 495 to the Airport.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 AM

7 posts, read 24,609 times
I commute from Rockville to DCA airport once a week, and for a while I followed the GPSs advice of taking the Clara Barton Pkwy. One day I took the GW Parkway and haven't looked back. Not too bad of traffic unless you get stuck behind someone going 5 under the limit in the left lane and can't move over. If everything flows properly it can be quite nice.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:21 AM

257 posts, read 565,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSG2 View Post
I commute from Rockville to DCA airport once a week, and for a while I followed the GPSs advice of taking the Clara Barton Pkwy. One day I took the GW Parkway and haven't looked back. Not too bad of traffic unless you get stuck behind someone going 5 under the limit in the left lane and can't move over. If everything flows properly it can be quite nice.
I can get from my apt in Reston to DCA airport during rush hour in 30-40 minutes by using the GW Parkway.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:17 PM

14 posts, read 30,192 times
I commute from Old Town to North Bethesda every day for the last four years. Commute times are roughly Min, Median, Max: 30, 38, 80 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia