Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 12:28 AM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times

Advertisements

So I'm a TS, but not an SCI. Does that really give me any sort of job security? Is it basically a phantom degree until I get an SSCI with poly u(whhich I never intend to get)? Is a TS actually valuable around here? I am pretty skilled in the IT world, will a TS help me land a stable job in this area? I've been around here for 3 years.. but I'd like to know if I should bother staying....

BTW.. I've been stable in IT since I graduated 3 years ago.. I just want to know if I should stay private or go public.. or leave all together. what benefits me most based upon my current situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 05:42 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
I don't know the answer to your question, just curious why you don't want to get the poly. If you have a specific issue that you don't want to reveal that's one thing, but if you're just nervous about getting one It's not as bad as you might think. And from what I hear these days they'll let you know if you pass right away (which makes it a lot less stressful than how it used to be).

Old 11-21-2009, 07:05 AM

30 posts, read 119,703 times
I'd recommend looking for work so that you can keep your clearance active (and so that you can acquire other clearances; AFAIK an individual can't just go get security clearances from the government by themselves).

There are a lot of job opportunities in the area that require a clearance - look on dice.com. Lockheed-Martin's site has a ton of open employment opportunities, too.

My understanding from friends in the DC Metro area who work in IT is that having a clearance (especially a higher level one) makes you extremely attractive to potential employers.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:52 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Yes it's valuable.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:38 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
You will have more security in a govt job, but also less opporunity to make the really big bucks.

I love the private sector, but it's a cold, cruel place in terms of job security. You cant say that about working for the federal govt. The trick is to find a good place for yourself.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:46 PM

257 posts, read 565,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
You will have more security in a govt job, but also less opporunity to make the really big bucks.

I love the private sector, but it's a cold, cruel place in terms of job security. You cant say that about working for the federal govt. The trick is to find a good place for yourself.
I won't say I'll never work for the feds, but I prefer my contracting job in the burbs to a downtown commute anyday. Yes, my job is more unstable than a fed job, but all-in-all, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:40 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times
I don't want to get the poly because I think it's junk science and I've heard horror stories of false positives ruining people's careers/lives.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
So I'm a TS, but not an SCI. Does that really give me any sort of job security? Is it basically a phantom degree until I get an SSCI with poly u(whhich I never intend to get)? Is a TS actually valuable around here? I am pretty skilled in the IT world, will a TS help me land a stable job in this area? I've been around here for 3 years.. but I'd like to know if I should bother staying....

BTW.. I've been stable in IT since I graduated 3 years ago.. I just want to know if I should stay private or go public.. or leave all together. what benefits me most based upon my current situation?
Probably worth more here than anywhere else. I doubt you'd need more than a TS unless for certain niches. Many of the large contracts, particularly DoD only require a secret. More important than the clearance is the type of IT skills you have. If you're good at what you do and its something in demand you'll do fine around here. You should definitely check out the private sector contractors. Go to a clearance fair and talk to some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia