Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:32 AM

219 posts, read 472,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I would love a little Acura, Audi, or something more expensive but it just goes against my grain, I'm afraid--especially since I put so many miles on a car. I don't want to buy an expensive car that is essentially a shuttle to and from DC.
Why not check out the off-lease availability of these? I love Acuras and Audis too, but our next car is far more likely to be... a minivan. But actually do like the Odyssey, in particular, because it is so well designed for its purpose of carting kids without adding aggro.

We are a 'drive it to pieces' couple so I don't feel too qualified to comment on a car enthusiast thread. We still have the 1993 Honda Civic which is the first car I ever bought (used) - we use it for commuting, no longer the primary vehicle. The car tax on that sets us back a couple of venti lattes. Family members have urged me to upgrade for about a decade now. I just love how cheap it is to drive, and so reliable. It isn't powerful but has always been fun to handle. Plus, what's another scratch here and there? De nada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 09:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post
We are a 'drive it to pieces' couple so I don't feel too qualified to comment on a car enthusiast thread. We still have the 1993 Honda Civic which is the first car I ever bought (used) - we use it for commuting, no longer the primary vehicle. The car tax on that sets us back a couple of venti lattes. Family members have urged me to upgrade for about a decade now. I just love how cheap it is to drive, and so reliable. It isn't powerful but has always been fun to handle. Plus, what's another scratch here and there? De nada.
I think this is the quintessential "northern Virginia" attitude. Yes, you'll find plenty of people who are car enthusiasts and who trade them in regularly, but IMO the majority here drive a car for as long as they can, until it starts developing chronic serious problems.

When it comes to cars, people here are into getting our money's worth.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
We also want an SUV, a full size one. I love the Escalade but OMG, it's so expensive. Anyone have any SUV recommendations?
Denton, I LOVE Tahoes. I will probably get a used Tahoe after I'm done with the RR.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:42 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,953 times
Quote:
I agree on the "boring" factor. My last three cars have been Toyotas. I currently drive a 2005 Highlander. I commute in it and it was never intended to be a commuter car. My son get his license in March and he will use it to go to and from school (the thing will have 120,000 miles on it by then). It is the least boring Toyota I've owned. Then there was my 2002 Camry "Sport" Edition. I had to get the sport edition just to get a little bit better interior and some alloy wheels. My college-age daughter drives this one. Prior to that, I had a 1992 Camry that I sold. In the meantime, the snooze factor on Toyotas has increased. When I bought my 2005 Highlander, I had actually intended to get a Camry but I just couldn't do it.

Now I need a commuter car and, while I know the Corolla is excellent, I don't think I can get one. My mom owns one as does my carpool persion and geez it's boring. That's why I will take another look at the Mazda 3 and possibly the Jetta. Although I've got to do some research on the maintenance issues with these cars.
Christine, so you do like the Highlander or you don't care for it? My dad pointed those out to me as a car to drive for out there, and I like them.
How is the gas mileage on those? I think I saw they also come in hybrids.

Like Denton, I'm also looking for another (less expensive) SUV.

When I was there I rented a car and they gave me a corolla. I drove all over northern VA on pretty much a quarter tank of gas, which I thought was amazing!
But I'm tall and I can't stand crouching down to get into lower cars. It's hell on my legs and back.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,468 times
As for the original question, I think it does depend on what area and what kind of person you are talking about. Yes and no.

I'm in my early 30s, unmarried, own a condo, live on the orange line. I have a Honda that I got new in 2005. It's a great car—my first new one, I thought it was cute and I was proud and happy to buy outright and not have a car payment; but to see it in my condo garage now, next to all the porches, acuras, and bmws, I halfway expect that my ferocious condo board will force me to upgrade as it brings down the look of the parking area interior.

I'm just one of those people I guess, my one tv is a 32" tube—even though the sides of everything is cut off, it still works! It's hard for me to spend the money to get a new HD flat screen, when the tv technically still *works*...

Last edited by spritelite; 08-14-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 12:08 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Christine, so you do like the Highlander or you don't care for it? My dad pointed those out to me as a car to drive for out there, and I like them.
How is the gas mileage on those? I think I saw they also come in hybrids.

Like Denton, I'm also looking for another (less expensive) SUV.

When I was there I rented a car and they gave me a corolla. I drove all over northern VA on pretty much a quarter tank of gas, which I thought was amazing!
But I'm tall and I can't stand crouching down to get into lower cars. It's hell on my legs and back.

I love my Highlander. I have the older model which is smaller than the newer ones you are probably seeing. I don't really care for the newer models. It is roomy and drives very much like a car (it is built on a Camry frame).

When I first bought it, I was in a carpool where I only drove half the distance to my job and then got in someone else's car every day. That arrangement ended and I was driving it 30 miles each way. Not what I had in mind for that vehicle. Had I known I was going to be doing that much driving I would have gotten a cheaper, more utilitarian car.

I get about 19 mpg city driving, sometimes up to 22 mpg but that is rare. If I go on a long drive, I get about 24 mpg. Not great by my standards.

They do come in a hybrid which will get you the mileage of a regular Camry. But they start at about $40,000K and up.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:55 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
I love my Highlander. I have the older model which is smaller than the newer ones you are probably seeing. I don't really care for the newer models. It is roomy and drives very much like a car (it is built on a Camry frame).

When I first bought it, I was in a carpool where I only drove half the distance to my job and then got in someone else's car every day. That arrangement ended and I was driving it 30 miles each way. Not what I had in mind for that vehicle. Had I known I was going to be doing that much driving I would have gotten a cheaper, more utilitarian car.

I get about 19 mpg city driving, sometimes up to 22 mpg but that is rare. If I go on a long drive, I get about 24 mpg. Not great by my standards.

They do come in a hybrid which will get you the mileage of a regular Camry. But they start at about $40,000K and up.
Ha!! Its all about perspective. I drive a 2000 Dodge Durango and after 2 years I'm ready for a newer SUV. I know I want something that has a truck's frame which the older Durangos have. They're basically an extended Dodge Dakota. The newer Durangos have a carish look to me despite being 2 inches biggers than the older Durangos. I don't know. But I get 12 mpg so would love to have more gas mileage but at the same time I love my truck.

Terrence

Old 08-14-2010, 05:17 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Normie, you're so funny......where do you come up with this stuff.....

A scratch on a Honda is less expensive than one on a Mercedes...
The car is parked most of the time, so the only one defined by the car is the parking lot...
If someone needs to define themselves by a way to get from point "A" to point "B", then that's a bit of an psychological issue...
As car54 stated, I too am impressed by the owners of old and restored classic vehicles, having a $600+ payment on a CAR is just retarded! there are so many other satisfying things in life than that...it's a waste...considering the depreciating factor...will these people drive these expensive cars passed 200,000 miles? no, a new model will show up and they'll lease that one...but wasting so much money doing this is very very silly.

Now, considering that DC has parallel parking and very small streets towards DuPont Circle etc...that's like asking for trouble...I feel like my car is too big for that city and I only have a mid size SUV...I was considering trading it for a mini cooper...
If you want to see people defined by their cars come to Florida, since here all you can do is drive everywhere...no public transit...or at least none that can be used by everyone...you will see young ppl living in crack town but owning a very expensive car! always wonder why, as you can't really have Thanksgiving dinner in a car!

Not to mention that the other super silly thing is when you see that the car can go over 200 miles per hour and your allowed maximum is 70!!! that indeed justifies half that monthly payment spent in vain!

Did you know that contrary to the commercials, those Land Rovers are almost NEVER used for rough terrain here in the US? how many LR's have you saw or heard were hiking through the Grand Canyon!!!?

I think people just have a constant need to be ADMIRED for a reason or another and they think that by buying expensive crap they accomplish that, IMO it takes away from the actual person, because the CAR gets the admiration, the ppl admiring it are all thinking the same..."$600+monthly, what a waste"!!!!! I don't think anyone in their right mind would DREAM of having such a monthly payment!

Old 08-14-2010, 05:45 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
We're also a "drive it into the ground" couple. Had a Corolla, after 20 yrs. (it so happened to be it's anniversary) it was time to get rid of it - went for an el-cheapo Neon which we bought used and drive for 6 (maybe 7?) yrs. - now the owners of a new '10 Corolla (price was right) and a '96 Ford Ranger (also bought used a few yrs. ago) but it's going strong.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:59 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
a '96 Ford Ranger (also bought used a few yrs. ago) but it's going strong.
It's true, we take a reverse pride, instead of bragging about how new things are we brag about how long we keep things going. I do it too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia