Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:37 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,873,963 times

Advertisements

My bike is looking so punk-rock these days (really worn seat, cracked rear-view mirror, etc.) that I'm tempted to turn it into one of these:

Only I don't think I'd do Rice Krispies... maybe Jerry's Subs & Pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 AM

509 posts, read 972,874 times
I must be in the minority here or travel in the wrong circles. No one I see outside work talks much about work at all. And I'm one of those "IT professionals/software engineers/etc." that were denigrated in a post above, implying all we do is talk about work!

I don't think so many people talk about work outside of work as has been implied by some posts in this thread. In fact, a lot of people can't due to working on classified projects, myself included.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:50 PM

8 posts, read 18,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It's interesting how different one's perception of Fairfax County is depending on where you moved here from. For you, coming from Orange County, CA, which is arguably one of the most materalistic counties in the U.S., people here seem down-to-earth. For me, coming from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA, a struggling blue-collar area (transitioning into NYC exurb) where people didn't earn much but took pride in putting yellow "Support our Troops" ribbons on their 2002 Ford Tauruses, I've found many here to seem obsessed with acquiring "stuff." Could it just be that I came from a poor area, you came from a wealthy area, and Fairfax County really is just "normal?"

You could be right, but I went from upstate NY where I lived from humble beginnings to the SW Border, to LA, and then to DC. So, ive been exposed to mutiple areas on both the low end and high of the socioeconomic spectrum. Scranton is a lot like Buffalo but a bit smaller. I actually find it quite cozy in NOVA. I miss the vibe out in So. Cal and the laid back attitude, despite materialism that is very prevalent. People in NOVA I thik are generally laid back but a bit more conservative as far as their attitudes and dress, CARS, are concerned. Not thats its a bad thing.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:52 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,902,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
My bike is looking so punk-rock these days (really worn seat, cracked rear-view mirror, etc.) that I'm tempted to turn it into one of these:
LOL, I love it!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 AM

554 posts, read 975,676 times
I am living in metro Atlanta and will be relocating to the Herndon area soon. Atlanta (at least the northern suburbs) is very materialistic and people are defined by zip codes and their cars. I prefer owning newer cars but I don't need to have luxary brands. I drive an 05 Kia Sportage. I absolutely love that car. The plus side of having a low dollar car is that I can have a high dollar Harley
!!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,469,813 times
I guess in certain areas they do, but I don't care. I drive an older car (a '96 Chevy Beretta) and I have gotten questions if I was going to sell it before. I keep her clean all the time and changed out the old boring hubcaps for better rims (not flashy at all, just not hubcaps lol) and did some other small modest changes. Sometimes I hate my car, sometimes I'm ok with it. It's been having problems recently so...not sure how much longer she'll last.

I'm a fan of older cars though. I love Chevelle's and Corvairs, old Corvette stingrays, old muscle cars are the best. When someone puts hard work into restoring one of them, I have a lot of appreciation for it.

A lot of folks at my workplace have high end cars and a few of us come in our early 90s cars and sometimes I feel bad for not being able to afford one right at the moment. Ah well! I like to be different. Even if my car broke one day, I'd probably get another used car. I do like the Mercury Cougar from 2000 on.

Interesting thread!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I I do like the Mercury Cougar from 2000 on.
LOL hey if you like Cougars I hear you have to check out that cougar bar in Ashburn.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:26 PM

Remember, the fancier your car, the more you pay in car tax. It's something to think about.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,029,484 times
You know what car I've started to see around a lot? The Matrix. I like its shape but it's funny when you see a whole bunch of them in the same parking lot.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,470,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You know what car I've started to see around a lot? The Matrix. I like its shape but it's funny when you see a whole bunch of them in the same parking lot.
I'm seeing a lot of Mazdas lately. People in NoVA are getting better with their taste!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia