Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:21 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

Do Northern Virginians define themselves by their car?

If yes.... do you think it's on a level with southern California, Detroit, or other car crazy cities?

If not... what other shallow things do Northern Virginians use to define themselves?

Or... just for the fun of having three options.... do we actually define ourselves based on things like opinions, causes, artistic taste? And, if that's the case, do you think that's deeper than defining yoursef based on a car... or just as shallow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 02:31 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

If yes.... do you think it's on a level with southern California, Detroit, or other car crazy cities?

If not... what other shallow things do Northern Virginians use to define themselves?

Or... just for the fun of having three options.... do we actually define ourselves based on things like opinions, causes, artistic taste? And, if that's the case, do you think that's deeper than defining yoursef based on a car... or just as shallow?
I do think Northern Virginians define themselves by their car.

I really don't but i'm similar to my 2001 Honda Accord in having having a few blemishes on the outside and sorta messy but will get the task done.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I really don't but i'm similar to my 2001 Honda Accord in having having a few blemishes on the outside and sorta messy but will get the task done.
LOL, I like this answer!

But as far as the OP's question, I'd have to say no. You can drive just about anything you want and nobody cares. If you really want to impress people around here, you want to brag about how many security clearances you have.

And extra points if you do it coyly. As in "Oh, I'd love to tell you how many clearances I have but I'm at a level where I'm really not allowed to talk about it."

Old 11-21-2009, 03:51 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Oh, and there's the reverse brag, too -- having no security clearances. As in "Government work? Oh, everybody does that. I like working in the private sector, where you don't have to put up with getting a bunch of (sneer) clearances."

Old 11-21-2009, 04:01 PM

318 posts, read 467,142 times
Cars? For sure. Very important here. I disagree with Caladium, lots of people do notice what you drive. Oh, and FYI... those clearances are quite handy in the private sector too. I know people who get new cars every 2-3 years. A new BMW or a new Acura, or Infiniti, just to "try one out."
Me? Notice my screen name? I am a car lover but not to impress anyone. For myself :-)

Based upon the time I have spent in California, and from what one of my best college friends tells me (she lives in OC) -- its about even.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:44 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
In Washington, you are where you live.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:09 PM

353 posts, read 905,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
Cars? For sure. Very important here. I disagree with Caladium, lots of people do notice what you drive.
I hope you are being sarcastic.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Hahaha I'm a lot like my car, too. My car is old, but still pretty cute. It's a Prius, which means your first impression might be it doesn't have much pep. But even though it's no muscle car, it was able to lug two large stone lions that I bought in Williamsburg.

That's more or less me--not much pep, not exactly impressive at first sight, but in a pinch I can handle more than you think.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

No- I think (white/middle-upper class) NoVa's define themselves by the degrees they have, what level of managership or executive they currently hold and how much political power they influence. I think the typical Nova wants to be known as having their JD from Penn, their MBA from Thunderbird , holds a VP title at work and has lunch with Senator once or twice a year. I think Nova's like preppy suits and ties (or heels) to wear to work that are somewhat conservative. I have not seen Bentleys; Lamberghinis: ferraris. etc.. as I have see in LA, Chicago and even the Main Line outside of Philly.

Maybe this is not true in Reston or other exurb areas of FFX County but it certainly is inside the beltway and the closer you get to DC.

Of course, I doubt any of this holds true for the many Asian, Arab, Hispanic and African immigrants here who have arrived only in the past 15 years. And since they will be the majority in the county soon, all this speculation will be nil.

And FYI- My family had one car in San Diego, it was a sedan. The odd thing about SoCal car culture is how one person collects 1-3 cars, all older, just in case one doesn't work.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:23 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
When someone passes me (in my old Corolla) in some fancy car....all I think is, mmmm, must have a high FICO score. That's really all it takes, and I'm not impressed. To tie up lots of money on a rapidly depreciating asset is stupid IMO.

What impresses me are gorgeous street rods that were hand built by their owners or a really nice classic car...vehicles that you can't just walk in, sign on the dotted line and drive out in...anybody can do that.

I will admit to feeling some pride when complimented on my '67 Corvette coupe....by folks that appreciate classic Vettes and know what they are looking at. It has some very rare options like the 427/435 hp motor w/three deuces, factory air, and sidepipes. I inherited the car from my father who bought it new. It only has 21000 original miles and has only been rained on three times in 42 years...I only drive it about 500 miles a year (scared!), mostly to car shows. The rest of the time she lives in her climate contolled garage that was built specially for her. I've had offers north of $100K for her....no way I'd sell dad's car!

That's what impresses me automotively....a car that would take a national search to find....and a pile of cold hard CASH to buy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia