U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:21 AM

47 posts, read 88,686 times
USAA - everything under the sun and managed investment accts
Wachovia - managed investment accts
Suntrust - local convenience
PenFed - local convenience
Overseas Accts
Safe

LOVE USAA for everything (Inv, Banking, Insurance, etc) and should prob consolidate all accounts with them, but we still like to use the brick and mortar banks avail locally as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 AM

3,917 posts, read 6,044,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 935dc View Post
USAA - everything under the sun and managed investment accts
Wachovia - managed investment accts
Suntrust - local convenience
PenFed - local convenience
Overseas Accts
Safe

LOVE USAA for everything (Inv, Banking, Insurance, etc) and should prob consolidate all accounts with them, but we still like to use the brick and mortar banks avail locally as well.

Better watch those overseas accounts!!!

Last I heard, if you have more than $250K in a Swiss bank, they are going to rat you out to the IRS.

Over the years, I've thought about opening a Swiss bank account...glad I didn't now!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 AM

47 posts, read 88,686 times
car54 - yeah, i heard that wrt the Swiss accts. ours are on the otherside of the globe with legit banks in Asia (HSBC, BP).

Old 11-23-2009, 09:01 AM

3,917 posts, read 6,044,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 935dc View Post
car54 - yeah, i heard that wrt the Swiss accts. ours are on the otherside of the globe with legit banks in Asia (HSBC, BP).

I don't know...you still may not be safe (from the IRS). I think the IRS' battle with the Swiss started with a Swiss bank that has US operations...thus giving the US Govt some arm-twisting leverage over them.

HSBC operates in the US....

Old 11-23-2009, 09:01 AM

27 posts, read 44,072 times
Ditto on the USAA accts. We keep a BOFA acct in case we need to deposit cash but everything has been transfered to USAA. Can't beat the ATM refunds and Deposit@home!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:58 AM

282 posts, read 529,637 times
Presidential and ING.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 AM

696 posts, read 956,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmeister71 View Post
Can't beat the ATM refunds and Deposit@home!
Yes! My husband can deposit from his i-phone! Love this feature.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:12 PM

135 posts, read 150,456 times
I have accounts at Pentagon Federal, USAA and Bank of America. I've had BofA for years and years and just never bother to switch. I think there best feature is their ATM network -- they operate the overseas Community Bank on military bases, so no ATM pretty much around the world. Also, since I'm a military bank customer, I gte 10 or 15 cents evrry time I use my debit card -- pretty hard to beat. I opened the PenFed account last year because they had bay far the lowest rates on an auto loan (needed a new car after coming back from overseas). I've had USAA for years, mostly for insurance, but also for an occasional loan (mortgage and auto). Customer service is always top notch, but not having physical branches always turns me off. As much as I'd like to just consolidate everything with one institution, I'm quite happy with the accounts i have between th ethree.

DJP

Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM

980 posts, read 1,941,242 times
PNC and SunTrust. I like PNC because when I use someone else's ATM, they reimburse the fees. I also like that I've only been with them for a year and a half, but I can call or visit the branch and they know me. SunTrust is OK. The only real reason I'm with them is because my account is totally free. Otherwise, I'm not really impressed with them.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:20 PM

515 posts, read 1,002,114 times
I havent been in a bank in years. I do everything online at Fidelity or ETrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia