U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,942,512 times
Congressional FCU, ING, and PNC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 12:51 PM

239 posts, read 435,577 times
USAA and a local credit union to deposit small, random checks and to use as a joint account with my daughter.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:07 PM

2,012 posts, read 2,851,061 times
Chevy Chase.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 602 times
Do NOT use a bank! USE A CREDIT UNION! The loyalty of banks is to the shareholders and not the account holders! They will ********* with made up fees, creative accounting and any other thing they can do to ********* out of a nickel! I have had accounts with credit unions for the last 16 years and have never had a problem nor an undeserved fee charge to me. Compare that to my cousin who has only been with banks and has had his credit record smeared because of a bank's inability to accept an early payment on his credit card prior to his leaving the country for 6 months. They returned his payment and giggled with glee as the late fees, penalties and credit bureau reports ended up totalling over $3,800- all for a $140 bill that he tried to pay early. My wife has had her account frozen three times complete with returned checks for "non-sufficient funds" because of a teller's inability to translate English into whatever tongue she spoke. Result was my wife's account being frozen for irregular activity and having seven, three and 14 checks bouncing in each of the three incidents. Naturally, the bank took no interest in fixing it as they pocket the fees AND get to charge a higher interest rate due to THEIR trashing of my wife's credit record. She has since transferred to a credit union and in the last 12 years has not had a single problem. Banks will ********* in ANY way they possibly can- anyone stupid enough to put their money in a bank instead of a CU deserves the raping they get!

Old 12-05-2009, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 573 times
Default Banks

Hello - I am a Burke & Herbert Bank fan. My family has banked there for 3 generations now. I really want to avoid the big banks. They don't deserve my business. I think a community bank like B&H is better for consumers. They have been around for something like 155 years which is really amazing these day. They didn't "sell out" to the mega banks which is really something tome.
I wish they had more locations / ATMs but they have online banking and very nice people.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:59 AM

15,400 posts, read 17,631,822 times
Bumping to help someone who was asking about banks.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,428,863 times
I hate SunTrust with a passion. I can not wait to dump them for good and forever. I've dealt with NASA federal credit union for years and like them and once I dump that very unprofessional bank SunTrust I'll try Burke & Herbert which I've heard many good things about.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:40 AM

3,667 posts, read 5,158,718 times
We use a credit union back in TX, it was our first checking account together and they have always treated us good, so we have stayed with them. The only downside is if we get a check that needs to be deposited I have to mail it back to TX and if I use the ATM I pay the ATM's service fee plus a $1 for our credit union. I try to just withdraw any cash I need when I use my debit card.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:13 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,682,282 times
Next week I'm going to open a Capital One account. Apparently they offer 1.35% interest plus a quarterly bonus if you keep it above a certain level. Check it out: Capital One InterestPlus Online Savings Account: Open an InterestPlus Online Savings Account — Great Savings Rates

I currently bank with Chevy Chase who got recently bought by Capital One.

I have an opportunity to open an account with NASA Federal. I'll probably open a small account just so I can qualify for their better loan rates in the future.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 AM

629 posts, read 656,834 times
Are there any credit unions that are open to the public? I'm not in the military and I don't have a federal job. Where I currently live, they have credit unions you can join just for living in a certain county. Do they have anything like that in NoVa? I'm looking to join a credit union instead of a bank this time around, but don't know if I qualify for any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia