U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 04:41 PM

257 posts, read 340,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
I'm seriously glad I have never lived or worked with someone like you.

I mean seriously, this person is paying/helping to pay for the stain removal. You're kicking her out before her lease is up, threatening to involve the sheriff's office (who by the way, may not give a darn about any timetable of yours). You air all of her dirty laundry on an internet forum, as if you haven't made any mistakes such as, let's see, not even trying to come to an understanding with her as to what's allowable or not, not taking in a security deposit, waiting until it's a "BIG DEAL" and not trying to work things out sooner, etc.

As far as the couch, take a huge chill pill. Suck it up. It's a freakin' stain on a couch. Whoop-de-freakin'-do.

There are things called life lessons that most of us benefit from experiencing and then learning from. Get a little humility, and keep that remnant stain prominently in your sight to remind you to stay humble. The poor girl is suffering enough, both from her own poor cleanliness and from living with you. Suing her is rubbing salt in her wounds, and won't give you the satisfaction you're looking for. If anything, it will just make you both bitter.

In sum:
Mike,

I agree with you totally. I've been a renter all of my adult life (which, post college dorms, has been 10 years.) When I have rented rooms from live-in home-owners, it has absolutely, 100%, sucked. In college, everything was shared. It was fine -- you could argue with each other all you wanted, but your "half" was still yours. Your roommates couldn't take it from you.

With the exception of one person I lived with, who was not new to the roommate game, every home-owner that I have lived with acted like they were doing you a favor. Their roof, their rules, yada yada. But they were also getting market value for the rental of the room, presumably to help with the mortgage they could not afford otherwise.

Live-in landlords have to remember that their house will not receive the same respect from tenants as they would give it. It's life, it's how it works. By nature, you treat something better when it's yours. There's also something called reasonable wear-and-tear; accidents happen, and if you aren't prepared for spills around the house, you shouldn't rent out a place.

The OP is kicking her out, presumably when she doesn't want to be. And he's being a... about it. The nice thing to do would be to ask, "It's clear things aren't working out here. I am willing to let you out of your lease early with no penalty to make things easier on both of us." If the OP is being as big of a ... as he says he is, there's no way she's happy there, and unless she's desperate and has nowhere else to go, she wants to leave too. But nobody wants to move unless they want to. Suing her and threatening to get the sheriffs involved is just over-kill.

Room-renting is the weirdest thing -- in every other financial transaction, the customer is always "right." But in room-rental, the customer, the one who pays part of the landlord's mortgage, is always wrong.

Last edited by Tone509; 12-01-2009 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: watch the language, please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 05:50 PM

75 posts, read 90,907 times
I think I made a mistake. Can't turn back now though. If I have to get into a bitter fight to the end and lose thousands...so be it, I'm ready. If she wants to end this this week, that's fine as well. The ball's in her court...

Old 11-30-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRider6 View Post
I think I made a mistake. Can't turn back now though. If I have to get into a bitter fight to the end and lose thousands...so be it, I'm ready. If she wants to end this this week, that's fine as well. The ball's in her court...
Damn dude. Serious question: What crawled up your ....? I mean, seriously. All I got out of this long thread is that she's messy and spilled something on a white couch.

You say if you have to get into a bitter fight to the end and lose thousands, you're ready? I got news for ya, and this comes from someone who *did* get into a bitter fight with a landlord. I came out ahead, she lost, oh, about 6 months of rent @$1850/mo (and she was on the hook for $7k more to me) and also had to do some interior remodeling. (I didn't damage anything.)

The news: It wasn't worth it. To this day, I wholeheartedly believe that my landlord was in the wrong, but that it wasn't worth the time and aggravation it cost me to defend the principle of my position.

(P.S. Be careful how bad you **** her off. There are amicable ways to get her out, and if you come out guns blazing as a first attempt, Good luck. You may take "measures" to protect your stuff, but if it's damaged or stolen, you'll still have to find her to remedy that. Then you have to figure out if she has a job... suing a jobless person is a waste of time.)

Seriously, it's not worth the guns blazing. Give it up, let her get out peacefully, and just move on with your life.

Last edited by Tone509; 12-01-2009 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: watch the language, please...

Old 11-30-2009, 06:36 PM

FastRider:

I don't know why you are under the impression that you are allowed to terminate the lease early with a 30-day notice.

Fairfax county says this regarding owner-occupied rentals:

Q. I HAVE A LEASE AGREEMENT TO RENT A ROOM IN A
PRIVATE HOUSE, BUT NOW THE LANDLORD IS DEMANDING THAT I
MOVE OUT, IMMEDIATELY. CAN HE EVICT ME LIKE THIS?
A. No, he can't, for two reasons. First, an eviction is a judgement resulting
from due process in court and only the judge can issue an eviction order. No
landlord has that authority. Secondly, the lease agreement is just as binding on
the landlord as it is on the tenant, so if there is no breach of lease by the tenant,
there can be no justification for an eviction. However, the landlord might still file
a suit for an eviction, so you MUST attend the court hearing to defend your right
to remain in the premises in accordance with the lease agreement.

(source: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/consumer/tenant/tenant_landlord_book.pdf (broken link))

Old 11-30-2009, 08:22 PM

703, I just typed a 3 para reply but somehow, I was logged off. To reiterate my points quickly:1) she moved out, thank god, thank her2) VRLTA is only applicable to non occupied landlords3) VUSBC is only health related - at least from what I've read from your link4) legal guys at my company thought I had a strong case, per reading the contracts and documented complaints. They weren't so impressed with the communication methodology.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:24 PM

It's over thanks god, but it could've gotten ugly. I think I'd be willing to spend some money if I had to fight this one out.

No roommate for me, just solo, I'm only renting the whole unit where I don't have to see how they live.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
Mike,

I agree with you totally. I've been a renter all of my adult life (which, post college dorms, has been 10 years.) When I have rented rooms from live-in home-owners, it has absolutely, 100%, sucked. In college, everything was shared. It was fine -- you could argue with each other all you wanted, but your "half" was still yours. Your roommates couldn't take it from you.

With the exception of one person I lived with, who was not new to the roommate game, every home-owner that I have lived with acted like they were doing you a favor. Their roof, their rules, yada yada. But they were also getting market value for the rental of the room, presumably to help with the mortgage they could not afford otherwise.

Live-in landlords have to remember that their house will not receive the same respect from tenants as they would give it. It's life, it's how it works. By nature, you treat something better when it's yours. There's also something called reasonable wear-and-tear; accidents happen, and if you aren't prepared for spills around the house, you shouldn't rent out a place.

The OP is kicking her out, presumably when she doesn't want to be. And he's being a prick about it. The nice thing to do would be to ask, "It's clear things aren't working out here. I am willing to let you out of your lease early with no penalty to make things easier on both of us." If the OP is being as big of a prick as he says he is, there's no way she's happy there, and unless she's desperate and has nowhere else to go, she wants to leave too. But nobody wants to move unless they want to. Suing her and threatening to get the sheriffs involved is just over-kill.

Room-renting is the weirdest thing -- in every other financial transaction, the customer is always "right." But in room-rental, the customer, the one who pays part of the landlord's mortgage, is always wrong.
I'm not saying I'm the easiest roommate, in fact, I'm probably the opposite as matter of fact. I'm not trying to be a dick about being the owner, but "overkill" is something that I do at work everyday and its what makes me very good at what I do. I don't leave anything for chances.

I don't feel good about making someone else all crappy about living with a pain in the butt like myself. It's my first roommate and it was a learning experience. I'll only rent the entire unit out in the future. I'm the only child so that would explain a lot too...

Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM

5,511 posts, read 9,317,361 times
PLEASE make it your LAST roommate.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:42 PM

Man, I must come off this forum like Eddie Murphy in "Shrek"...

Last edited by Tone509; 12-01-2009 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: watch the language, please...

Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,143,774 times
Don't sweat it man...the people giving you crap loved reading your thread...that's why they continue to post in it.

Sometimes, roommate situations don't work out and it looks like she found something quickly so it was all good in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia