U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 AM

257 posts, read 344,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRider6 View Post
703, I just typed a 3 para reply but somehow, I was logged off. To reiterate my points quickly:1) she moved out, thank god, thank her2) VRLTA is only applicable to non occupied landlords3) VUSBC is only health related - at least from what I've read from your link4) legal guys at my company thought I had a strong case, per reading the contracts and documented complaints. They weren't so impressed with the communication methodology.
You are correct that the VRLTA doesn't apply to you, but the Q&A about "I rent a room in a single family house from the owner" clearly did. (And that's not to say that that paragraph in and of itself is legally binding, but it would conflict with the idea that the contract doesn't mean anything because you live there with her. Which would make me question my original source if I were you and it came down to a court battle.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Don't sweat it man...the people giving you crap loved reading your thread...that's why they continue to post in it.
Loved reading the thread and agreeing with the OP are two totally different things.

Moderator cut: Not necessary

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-01-2009 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: Not necessary

Old 12-01-2009, 09:59 AM

631 posts, read 783,144 times
Hah I recommend you relax and take her up on her offer to pay for the couch, and just learn to live with her for another few months. Accumulate those life lessons!

Old 12-01-2009, 01:09 PM

75 posts, read 92,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
You are correct that the VRLTA doesn't apply to you, but the Q&A about "I rent a room in a single family house from the owner" clearly did. (And that's not to say that that paragraph in and of itself is legally binding, but it would conflict with the idea that the contract doesn't mean anything because you live there with her. Which would make me question my original source if I were you and it came down to a court battle.)
Maybe I'm getting that confused. That language you quoted implies that the owner lives in the house? I thought it meant an owner, not necessarily living with them.

The reason why I'm making that distinction is because the quote could've read, "I rent a room in a single family house from the lessee" as in sublease.

I forgot to add, my contract states that the tenant has to pay full value of the contract if the tenant leaves before the 6 months is up, but it does not explicitly state any recourse if the landlord (me) cancels during the 6 months period.

Last edited by FastRider6; 12-01-2009 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 02:16 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,163,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
Loved reading the thread and agreeing with the OP are two totally different things.

Moderator cut: Not necessary

I was referring to the person who said "Please make it your last post" and the subsequent response from the OP.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRider6 View Post
Maybe I'm getting that confused. That language you quoted implies that the owner lives in the house? I thought it meant an owner, not necessarily living with them.
Maybe it wasn't so clear TBH, in this area, it's probably just as common, if not more so, to rent a room from a live-in owner as it is to live in an SFH where the owner lives off-site. In fact, in two of the three non-apartment rental situations I've had in this area, the owner was a live-in.

When I lived in LA and rented rooms there, it was also more common for the owners to be live-ins. (At least, that was my experience the times where I was heavily hunting for a shared arrangement.)

Anyway, I found nothing in any of my searches to suggest that an owner living in the house had any more rights to terminate a lease early than did an owner who lived off the premises, so I thought paragraph was clear -- if the VLRTA doesn't apply, a lease is still a lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia