Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 AM

104 posts, read 416,749 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We currently live in Loudoun County, the Cascades part of Sterling to be exact. When we first relocated here, my husband was offered a job in Chantilly and this was a great commute for him. We love it here, but his new job has him commuting to Adelphi, Maryland. We are *considering* relocating closer so he has a shorter commute time. However, we LOVE Sterling and Loudoun County. Is there an area comparable in Maryland? We are looking for great schools and a nice, safe community. Though we are saddened with the idea of leaving Loudoun County and NoVa, a shorter commute for my husband would be wonderful(his commute is currently 40 minutes to 2 hours depending on traffic!).
Thanks very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,332 times
I was originally going to say Clarksburg in northern Montgomery County, but I'm not sure if that would really save your husband much time. Some of the newer parts of Columbia/Clarksville in Howard County might be to your liking. I don't know what 95 or 29 are like during rush hour, but they can't be worse than the Toll Road, Route 7 or the Beltway.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:04 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Olney/Sandy Spring might work.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 AM

947 posts, read 1,402,057 times
I don't know Maryland all that well, but one place that comes to mind that might meet your requirements is Crofton, just inside the Anne Arundel County line from Prince George's County. We have a friend who lives there, and his neighborhood seems a nice, quiet, safe one with houses that date from the 1970s. At least in miles, the commute from there to Adelphi doesn't look too long, but of course we all know that in the greater Washington region rush hours traffic is bad just about everywhere.

Frederick County may have more of the feel of Loudoun County, but I suspect your commute would be as hellacious as it is now.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:43 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Default hmmm . . . tricky commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainhigh View Post
Hello! We currently live in Loudoun County, the Cascades part of Sterling to be exact. When we first relocated here, my husband was offered a job in Chantilly and this was a great commute for him. We love it here, but his new job has him commuting to Adelphi, Maryland. We are *considering* relocating closer so he has a shorter commute time. . . .
Are you sure you want to move? Adelphi isn't really that far from NoVA. What route does your husband take? Georgetown Pike or Rte 7 east to the Beltway?

Is the traffic heading northeast on the Beltway that severe? I know that the traffic coming south from 270 onto the Beltway and entering the city is a night mare. Does your husband have flex time where he can go in either really early or late? That might help.

Another alternative is to figure out shortcuts if the Beltway backs up. There is a parallel way to get through on E.West highway-- slow because it's city-esque but at least he'll still be moving. And once he gets on River Road, it will take him to the beltway just outside of Cabin John Pkway.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 PM

150 posts, read 596,023 times
I would seriously consider the east/north-east portion of Montgomery County, such as Olney, Ashton, Sandy Spring. It's way closer to Adelphi and still not too densely populated like Loudoun. The commute would just be right down New Hampshire Ave. There's also some really nice real estate out there.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:51 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,966 times
Have you thought of Columbia in Howard County? I don't think it is too far from Adelphi. It was one of the first planned communities in the area and may appeal to you. I haven't been there in 30 years so I can't tell you which one of the villages would be similar to Cascades but it is worth checking out.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:23 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,411 times
You might look at the area just north of Colesville Rd and New Hampshire Avenue. It's probably classified as Silver Spring, but that part has less of a suburban sprawl feel to it. At least it did a long long time ago, when we lived in SS.

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:27 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainhigh View Post
Hello!
We currently live in Loudoun County, the Cascades part of Sterling to be exact. When we first relocated here, my husband was offered a job in Chantilly and this was a great commute for him. We love it here, but his new job has him commuting to Adelphi, Maryland. We are *considering* relocating closer so he has a shorter commute time. However, we LOVE Sterling and Loudoun County. Is there an area comparable in Maryland? We are looking for great schools and a nice, safe community. Though we are saddened with the idea of leaving Loudoun County and NoVa, a shorter commute for my husband would be wonderful(his commute is currently 40 minutes to 2 hours depending on traffic!).
Thanks very much
Parts of Ann Arundel County, especially around Davidsonville, are like the horsey parts of Loudon, but it's a hike to Adelphi.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:42 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,941 times
Its about 10-15 Miles North of UMCP along US Highway 29 between Silver Spring and Columbia.

Maple Lawn Maryland - Home

Gallery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia