Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
EDIT: I just realized that normie more or less said the same thing.
Well, I liked yours better because you brought up the point that roomies can be your first friends in a new town. It's good to have people to do things with.

Think of it like getting along with your office mate at work. If you get assigned to share an office with someone who isn't exactly your bff you find ways to get along.

I went in and out of having roommates throughout my 20's. For the most part it worked out well, although I had a few duds. The ones that worked out well I stay in touch with, even though it's now been 20-30 years since we shared a place. I found a way to get along with the ones I didn't care for, and when it was time to part company I was happy to move on.

The worst roommate I ever had was a control freak. The year I spent with her I joined lots of organizations so that I wouldn't have to spend every evening at home with her. The silver lining was discovering a lot of fun groups that I would never have joined otherwise... including a church group where I eventually met my husband. And even though I didn't like my roomie, I definitely liked the fact that cutting the rent in half allowed me to live just a few blocks from the beach (very important to me when I was in my young 20's and into going out every night having fun with the beach crowd.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 09:45 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Also I wanted to add that if Alexandria is too expensive for me I'm more than open to looking at different areas in NOVA like Fairfax, Falls Church,etc. If you could give me some info on those places as well I would appreciate it.
The cost of living won't get appreciably better in most of Fairfax County. Those areas that might come close (e.g. Route 1 Alexandria south of the Beltway, Annandale inside the Beltway) don't have as positive a reputation as most other communities; if living in an idyllic suburban neighborhood is not a priority, then you might be okay. Loudoun or Prince William Counties would each be more affordable but the commute would not be fun.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 AM

497 posts, read 1,693,788 times
Does anyone know of any efficiency apartments in the area?

Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 AM

261 posts, read 1,300,648 times
Mason Hall is one.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
A cheaper option might be an in law suite in someone's basement there are some in $800-$900 range maybe cheaper if you don't mind sharing the kitchen upstairs.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferprestia View Post
Mason Hall is one.
I know where that complex is. (North Old Town for the OP.) Interesting to know that they have efficiency apartments.

Also consider Belle Haven Towers. They have some efficiencies in their mix as well. They're located just outside the Beltway in the county section of Alexandria. Despite what I said before about Route 1, this and other nearby high-rises are better bets than most low-rises further south.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I know where that complex is. (North Old Town for the OP.) Interesting to know that they have efficiency apartments.
Yes, sorry, a little cryptic on my part. Here's a link Mason Hall Apartments in Alexandria, VA | Photos & Media | Apartments.com

Old 11-25-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferprestia View Post
Yes, sorry, a little cryptic on my part. Here's a link Mason Hall Apartments in Alexandria, VA | Photos & Media | Apartments.com
No worries. Thanks for finding the link!

Old 11-26-2009, 01:36 PM

413 posts, read 1,164,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
First, really none of your business but I attend a university that is based on Ft. Myer.

Second, because the $1350 my mother is breaking her back to pay for this 2 bedroom box we currently live in could get a decent 3br townhome back home in Hampton Roads or nearly any other desirable military town (my preference.)

Having a tight budget that prevents you from going out with your friends to dinner once in awhile or taking a vacation to visit family is not fun. And I want to have a somewhat social lifestyle. It's just of case of the benefits of NoVA not being worth the drawbacks for me.
In this area, a recognizable school and good major can bring you a better salary.

Since you state that you're at a uni. based in Ft. Myer, I'm assuming it's one of those distance learning programs that teach to civilians or military personnel thus limiting your university connections you could obtain around the NOVA area.

The general consensus of salaries from the ppl. that I know who have graduated from college were offered salaries similar to this:

liberal arts degree-

govt- $41,000 or GS-7
private- $50k

technical degrees-

govt- $50k or GS-9
private-$60k

Although liberal arts majors make less, I think it's definitely doable in this area if you prioritize how you spend your money.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
In this area, a recognizable school and good major can bring you a better salary.

Since you state that you're at a uni. based in Ft. Myer, I'm assuming it's one of those distance learning programs that teach to civilians or military personnel thus limiting your university connections you could obtain around the NOVA area.

The general consensus of salaries from the ppl. that I know who have graduated from college were offered salaries similar to this:

liberal arts degree-

govt- $41,000 or GS-7
private- $50k

technical degrees-

govt- $50k or GS-9
private-$60k

Although liberal arts majors make less, I think it's definitely doable in this area if you prioritize how you spend your money.
Obviously this isn't addressed to the OP, but do you not think this is a trifle snide? After all, if Alanboy doesn't like the area (and it was Alanboy who mentioned the Ft Myer education), then he doesn't like the area, and it has nothing to do with his earning ability. I can't say I agree with many of his posts, but he is entitled to his POV.

Actually, I'm not sure that you are entirely correct about the salary ranges - for government perhaps, but there aren't unlimited government jobs available. Much depends on the field in which you wish to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia