Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,489 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

It's me again! The semester is pretty much over, and even though I don't graduate until May 2010, my time is getting shorter. I still very much have my heart set on living in Alexandria or any of the surrounding areas depending on my finances. So I will more than likely start off working at a Human Resources Assistant since it's entry level. About how much would I have to make a year to have a decent standard of living in Alexandria because I know the COL is extremely high. I know thar HR assistants make anywhere between 30-50k or something like that. So my starting salary will probaly be between 30-35k. Would this be enough to live off in Alexandria? Also how is the job market in Alexandria and the surrounding areas? Are the any openings for HR Assistants? Thanks for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 03:27 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
Hello everyone!

It's me again! The semester is pretty much over, and even though I don't graduate until May 2010, my time is getting shorter. I still very much have my heart set on living in Alexandria or any of the surrounding areas depending on my finances. So I will more than likely start off working at a Human Resources Assistant since it's entry level. About how much would I have to make a year to have a decent standard of living in Alexandria because I know the COL is extremely high. I know thar HR assistants make anywhere between 30-50k or something like that. So my starting salary will probaly be between 30-35k. Would this be enough to live off in Alexandria? Also how is the job market in Alexandria and the surrounding areas? Are the any openings for HR Assistants? Thanks for all of your help!
30-35k? I wouldn't attempt it but it can probably be done. The trouble is what kind of lifestyle do you want to live? You would pretty much have to stay in every weekend, have 3 or 4 roommates. not eat out often, live on Ramen noodles, have a car that is paid off, basically college without the fun. There is a reason why me (21 y/o 2011 college grad) and ScranBarre (23 y/o grad) are looking to relocate to cheaper areas in KY and PA respectively.

The job market here is better than most areas but with this economy no promises.

I very honestly would NOT recommend NoVA for a fresh graduate. Way too expensive to live well and still have fun.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:54 PM

261 posts, read 1,300,389 times
I'm not sure that that's not a rather too dire prediction.

FYI - DD lives in Alexandria and these are "basic" outgoings monthly
rent - $1150 (studio, includes utilities)
car insurance - $140
health insurance $120
cell phone $50
internet $30
student loans $68

Obviously that doesn't include food, gas, repairs, entertainment or any of the other things you might consider necessary.

She very much enjoys NOVA, even being poor.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:22 PM

413 posts, read 1,164,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
30-35k? I wouldn't attempt it but it can probably be done. The trouble is what kind of lifestyle do you want to live? You would pretty much have to stay in every weekend, have 3 or 4 roommates. not eat out often, live on Ramen noodles, have a car that is paid off, basically college without the fun. There is a reason why me (21 y/o 2011 college grad) and ScranBarre (23 y/o grad) are looking to relocate to cheaper areas in KY and PA respectively.

The job market here is better than most areas but with this economy no promises.

I very honestly would NOT recommend NoVA for a fresh graduate. Way too expensive to live well and still have fun.
Let me ask you a question. First, what school do you attend? And second, why do you think it's too expensive to live here?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
Let me ask you a question. First, what school do you attend? And second, why do you think it's too expensive to live here?
First, really none of your business but I attend a university that is based on Ft. Myer.

Second, because the $1350 my mother is breaking her back to pay for this 2 bedroom box we currently live in could get a decent 3br townhome back home in Hampton Roads or nearly any other desirable military town (my preference.)

Having a tight budget that prevents you from going out with your friends to dinner once in awhile or taking a vacation to visit family is not fun. And I want to have a somewhat social lifestyle. It's just of case of the benefits of NoVA not being worth the drawbacks for me.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Get a couple of roommates and you'll be fine. Don't sign the lease though till you have the job.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:40 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Don't let some obviously bitter folks turn you off. I'm older than you and a different situation now but I moved here w/o a job (granted times were different 20 yrs. ago) - BUT! you don't have to live w/a kazillion people, my first place was a really large 3 br. and had 2 roommates, we got rid of one after a time and the two of us were fine there. You sound like you have a good head on our shoulders, I think you'll do fine. Read those stats Jennifer.... posted. Life is possible and fun on a budget.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Don't let some obviously bitter folks turn you off. I'm older than you and a different situation now but I moved here w/o a job (granted times were different 20 yrs. ago) - BUT! you don't have to live w/a kazillion people, my first place was a really large 3 br. and had 2 roommates, we got rid of one after a time and the two of us were fine there. You sound like you have a good head on our shoulders, I think you'll do fine. Read those stats Jennifer.... posted. Life is possible and fun on a budget.
But don't disregard the bitter folks either. If I'm bitter that I see my mother work like a slave only to afford this apt that she absolutely HATES, then I think I have good reason to be bitter. I'm also mad that a friend who is a single mother has been forced to work 7 days a week just to pay for a basement apt that is an hour from her jobs.

I'm sorry but I think people who make under $35k here are signing up for some tough years.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I tend to agree with this.

Yes, it's tempting to take the highest paying job possible (especially in tough times). But if there's a way you can swing life with a lower paying job, I think there's a lot to be said for spending a year or two in a beach town. Or some other "cool" town. You're only young once, go get a bunch of roommates and live the beach bum lifestyle for a while. Have some fun. There's plenty of time to move to Nova.

Of course, everyone has a different situation and a different personality. If you're ready to settle down and get serious about career and goals and that sort of thing, Nova's a great place for you. But, in general, I think Nova starts to be a lot more appealling after about age 25.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
You're graduating soon and you have a job lined up -- so you have something to be thankful for regardless. Alexandria is expensive, maybe not quite as expensive as North Arlington, but certainly among the most expensive metro DC areas in NOVA. Whether you can get by on $30-35k depends entirely on the lifestyle you want to have. If you are willing to have roommates and forego buying a brand new car, etc, you can do it. The best thing you can do for yourself will be to work hard at your job and hopefully move up the career ladder to increase you income to a point where it becomes easier to afford living in the metro DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia